Lightroom synchronized on different Windows XP machines (maybe Mac OS X too)

dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Finishing School
A cornerstone of how I use computers is to have duplicate, synchronized machines in different locations, as a precaution against problems with one machine through off-site, hot-spare redundancy.

Here are details of how I have been able to incorporate Lightroom in this approach, that is, to have the same Lightroom working environment on different Windows XP machines.

<http://quantum.bu.edu/blog/2007/02/adobe-lightroom-synchronized-on.html>

In this way I am able me to work with files on one machine, synchronize images and Lightroom settings onto a second machine, and then continue working on the second machine where I left off on the first machine.

Perhaps the same approach can be adapted to Mac OS X.

I surely hope this is helpful, and I'd be grateful for any suggestions for improvements or cautions/gotchas.
Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
Ginger Jones

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Thanks for posting this as I am working on this exact issue at the moment. The challenge though is that I wan to use an external drive instead. So I am going to have to think on this one for a little while. That way I can use different machines and keep the files in one place. Since this is recreation for me, hot swappable redundancy is not an issue for me. I just make sure to back up often.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    The challenge though is that I wan to use an external drive instead.
    I use an external drive in this way at two locations (laptops attached to external disks). I just make sure that the Desktop shortcut to the folder (on the external disk) containing the photos and the Lightroom database.

Pleaee let me know if I have misunderstood, or if I can be more specific.

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • yokimboyokimbo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    Dan, thanks for posting this. I've recently begun thinking about this as well. I plan on getting a laptop later this year. I think your setup is a great start, but can still use a little improvement. It's a complex issue and one I've been dying to find someone to talk to about. So, thanks again for posting this.

My first thought is, why not keep your LR library on the external HDD? However, there are a few obvious problems with this approach if you ever plan on having multiple HDDs of images.

How would you handle multiple HDDs with your current setup? Would you have another Desktop shortbut, 'Images2', on each computer?

How are you connecting your ext HDDs? USB2, FW400, FW800? FW800 will give the fastest access to your images. One method I've been tossing around in my head is an NAS solution with a Gigabit Ethernet connection. However, this will also require me to get a new router that supports Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11n. Have you considered this solution?

And, finally I'm wondering what the tech savvy pros use? I've been tempted to pick up Michael Clark's workflow book (PDF) to see his setup. I just don't want to plunk down the money to find out it's not what I'm looking for. Alright, that should keep you busy for a couple minutes. :D
    edited March 30, 2007
    yokimbo wrote:
    My first thought is, why not keep your LR library on the external HDD? However, there are a few obvious problems with this approach if you ever plan on having multiple HDDs of images.

How would you handle multiple HDDs with your current setup? Would you have another Desktop shortbut, 'Images2', on each computer?

How are you connecting your ext HDDs? USB2, FW400, FW800? FW800 will give the fastest access to your images.
    Here is my current setup.
    • Workstation: Images and LR database on an internal drive, Desktop shortcut -> D:\Photos\.
    • Laptop location 1: Images and LR database on an external drive connected by a USB 2 hub, Desktop shortcut -> Y:\Photos\
    • Laptop location 2: Images and LR database on an external drive connected by a USB 2 hub, Desktop shortcut -> Z:\Photos\
    The external drives have 16 MB caches and I think this accounts for their good responsiveness.

For now, a single 500 GB external disk accomodates my image files with vast room to spare.

I am sure Adobe will update Lightrooms synchronization capabilities soon, well before my own need to multiple drives.

Following Peter Krogh's advice from his The DAM Book, I recommend buying the system you need today, rather than what you think you'll need in future. That way, when you have outgrow things, you can take advanatage of the latest technology at each upgrade.

I hope this is helpful.
    Dan Dill

Ginger Jones
    edited March 30, 2007
    dandill wrote:
    Here is my current setup.
    • Workstation: Images and LR database on an internal drive, Desktop shortcut -> D:\Photos\.
    • Laptop location 1: Images and LR database on an external drive connected by a USB 2 hub, Desktop shortcut -> Y:\Photos\
    • Laptop location 2: Images and LR database on an external drive connected by a USB 2 hub, Desktop shortcut -> Z:\Photos\
    The external drives have 16 MB caches and I think this accounts for their good responsiveness.

For now, a single 500 GB external disk accomodates my image files with vast room to spare.

I am sure Adobe will update Lightrooms synchronization capabilities soon, well before my own need to multiple drives.

Following Peter Krogh's advice from his The DAM Book, I recommend buying the system you need today, rather than what you think you'll need in future. That way, when you have outgrow things, you can take advanatage of the latest technology at each upgrade.

I hope this is helpful.
    Great info, Dan. Thanks for following up. I've thought about picking up The DAM Book, but I'm kind of waiting for an update. How much (from 2005) is still relevant today? Is the info easily extracted for use in today's working environment? Sounds like some it is. But, it's age is partially why I've been looking around at other photographers/authors, like Michael Clark.

As for the synchronization issue. That applies more to bringing field work home. Say you have a week vacation or assignment and you don't want to lug around a 500GB HDD. You bring you're lighter laptop and a smaller HDD and import the files into Lightroom at the end of each day, making selections and edits as you go. Then you get home and want to import your photos into your main image library. Currently there's no easy way of doing this. That's were I was going with that. Enough people with Adobe's ear have been pushing this issue that I think it'll get solved in fairly short order.

As for your setup, is each HDD a copy of the other? If so, then that's a pretty slick setup. It means an NAS isn't necessary. Do you just sync your HDDs and LR library across your network after edits?

PS - I just ordered two 500GB HDDs w/ 16MB cache, FW800, 7200rpm, earlier this week. I'm eager to put them to use.
    edited March 30, 2007
    dandill wrote:
    Perhaps the same approach can be adapted to Mac OS X.
    One thought about this. I think it will be even easier on the Mac. When you plug an external disk, or a additional internal HDD into a Mac, it mounts it under the /Volumes/[HDD Label] folder. So, you don't have to deal with drive letters or aliases. The Unix equivalent of a drive letter is handled behind the scenes byt the OS. If you really wanted to dig around in the directory in a terminal, you could find hda, etc... But, OS X creates the alias for you. All you have to do is give your HDDs all the same name.
    edited March 30, 2007
    yokimbo wrote:
    Great info, Dan. Thanks for following up. I've thought about picking up The DAM Book, but I'm kind of waiting for an update. How much (from 2005) is still relevant today? Is the info easily extracted for use in today's working environment? Sounds like some it is. But, it's age is partially why I've been looking around at other photographers/authors, like Michael Clark.
    The framework Peter Krogh lays out is tool-independent and I have found it very helpful. But with XMP, Lightroom's metadata tools, CS3 Bridge's tools and integration with Lightroom, and iView purchased by Microsoft, my feeling is that ways to implment DAM schemes are indeed in a state of flux. In this regard, I have found it helpful to follow the DAM Book forum.
    yokimbo wrote:
    That's were I was going with that. Enough people with Adobe's ear have been pushing this issue that I think it'll get solved in fairly short order.
    That is my reading too.
    yokimbo wrote:
    As for your setup, is each HDD a copy of the other? If so, then that's a pretty slick setup. It means an NAS isn't necessary. Do you just sync your HDDs and LR library across your network after edits?
    I maintain identical, synchronized contents on disks in three different physical locations, as backup and precaution against disaster. Two of the locations are synchronized daily, but the third less often (as it is offline and far away from the other two). I use portable disks to do the synchronization, with Second Copy 7 (there are other products that have similar synchronization capabilities). This means the portable disks amount to a fourth backup.
    yokimbo wrote:
    PS - I just ordered two 500GB HDDs w/ 16MB cache, FW800, 7200rpm, earlier this week. I'm eager to put them to use.
    I do think the 16 MB cache makes a difference.
    Dan Dill

Ginger Jones
    edited March 30, 2007
    dandill wrote:
    The framework Peter Krogh lays out is tool-independent and I have found it very helpful. But with XMP, Lightroom's metadata tools, CS3 Bridge's tools and integration with Lightroom, and iView purchased by Microsoft, my feeling is that ways to implment DAM schemes are indeed in a state of flux. In this regard, I have found it helpful to follow the DAM Book forum.
    Good information. I may have to pick up a copy afterall. And, thanks for the link to the forum.
    dandill wrote:
    I maintain identical, synchronized contents on disks in three different physical locations, as backup and precaution against disaster. Two of the locations are synchronized daily, but the third less often (as it is offline and far away from the other two).
    You know, I really should do this. I have a backup of all my data, but everything is in my house. I think I'm going to start archiving things off and storing them at the neighbors' house or a relative's house.
    edited March 30, 2007
    yokimbo wrote:
    You know, I really should do this. I have a backup of all my data, but everything is in my house. I think I'm going to start archiving things off and storing them at the neighbors' house or a relative's house.
    I *really* encourage this, for all of us.
    Dan Dill

Ginger Jones