I'm having 'net issues and can't upload

SameritechSameritech Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've been trying to upload photos for about 16+ hours now and have had nothing but problems. I've tried the drag n' drop uploader, the standard uploader, Fotofox, and the Send to Smugmug program and all have been VERY slow and almost half come back on the error report.

And before anyone uses the same old excuse "Why don't your check your ISP", no it is not the ISP. There's something wrong on Smugmug's end...AGAIN, that's preventing photos from uploading. This seems to me an ongoing problem with this service. Isn't this why I'm paying $40/year vs going with some other service, so I don't have to deal with the inability to upload photos on almost a monthly basis? All my other internet functions work just fine, except for getting photos uploaded to my paid Smugmug account.

Smugmug really needs to stop messing around with getting new themes added every other week and spent more time ensuring their basic functions, such as uploading, are working correctly.

In 16 hours I've had 15 photos get through and 12 others with errors. This is unacceptable.

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    I feel your pain-- I've been there many times myself. And nope, I'm not employed by SM, just a customer.

The tracer route is a great tool, though, and so is the line test. That's why SM suggests these tools. It really can isolate your problem and when you call your ISP, that's what they'll have you do too (and that's what they'll be doing on their end to see if it IS them).

I spent hours on the phone with Comcast just a few weeks ago trying to figure out what was going on-- we finally solved it by me plugging the modem directly to the computer rather than going through a router.

Now that worked fine for that upload, but I switched it back to a router and now that works too. headscratch.gif

The way I solved my frustration, ultimately though, was to buy star*explorer. You can actually set the # of upload tries, the time for timeouts, etc, etc. Yes, I understand purchasing software to upload is the last thing you want to do (and just so you know, I pay SM more than $40 a year for my account :D), but the amount of saved frustration, time, and effort by using star*explorer is amazing. I've had a couple of timeouts since I bought it, changed the amount of time for timeouts in seconds, and now everything uploads like it should. It's also faster than the standard SM uploaders.

And again, buying more software... :cry But your time and mental health are worth something and sometimes it's worth it. Oh yeah, I think you can try it out for free too.

bowdown.gif star*explorer!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Sameritech wrote:
    I've been trying to upload photos for about 16+ hours now and have had nothing but problems. I've tried the drag n' drop uploader, the standard uploader, Fotofox, and the Send to Smugmug program and all have been VERY slow and almost half come back on the error report.

And before anyone uses the same old excuse "Why don't your check your ISP", no it is not the ISP. There's something wrong on Smugmug's end...AGAIN, that's preventing photos from uploading. This seems to me an ongoing problem with this service. Isn't this why I'm paying $40/year vs going with some other service, so I don't have to deal with the inability to upload photos on almost a monthly basis? All my other internet functions work just fine, except for getting photos uploaded to my paid Smugmug account.

Smugmug really needs to stop messing around with getting new themes added every other week and spent more time ensuring their basic functions, such as uploading, are working correctly.

In 16 hours I've had 15 photos get through and 12 others with errors. This is unacceptable.

Here is some fun reading from the past... same subject... rolleyes1.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=310085#post310085
  • SameritechSameritech Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Problem corrected
    Well' I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. I send Smugmug a C/S question and they referred me to the speed test site http://smugmug.speedtest.net/
    After seeing that I realized it was on my end and not Smugmugs. After a restart of the modem, upload speeds changed from less than 70kbps back to the normal 650kbps.

Everything is working good now.

Thanks
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Sameritech wrote:
    Well' I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. I send Smugmug a C/S question and they referred me to the speed test site http://smugmug.speedtest.net/
    After seeing that I realized it was on my end and not Smugmugs. After a restart of the modem, upload speeds changed from less than 70kbps back to the normal 650kbps.

Everything is working good now.

Thanks
    Glad you're all sorted out thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    Here is some fun reading from the past... same subject... rolleyes1.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=310085#post310085
    As you can see, this wasn't related... thanks!