Options

Newbie goes to auto show

speed50speed50 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 23, 2005 in Technique
Hi there, great forum!

I have a question.
I've been kind of procrastinating to fully learn how to shoot properly and been using the AUTO mode... :dunno

I have point and shoot Canon Powersot A70. Pictures on AUTO mode can be good, but not always..

Anyhow, tomorrow i'll be going to the Montreal auto show (indoor: bright lights) and wanted some guidelines about shooting functions. From previous posts about cars I understand that I should go for unusual angles and choose an ISO of 200 to get better pictures.

What else can I do? What about shutter speed, exposure or flash use? Will Portrait mode be preferred over AUTO mode?

I really want to try and make good pictures.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    I'm out.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    I saw this thread yesterday but did not repond as I have no knowledge of the capabilities of your camera.

The lowest ISO you can manage is going to give the best results as far as moise but a compromise might have to be made if it causes shuter speed problems.

As far as shutter speed and aperature there are so many variables to give a quick answer. I assume that a tripod is not going to be used. If this is the case I would think that you would want your shutterspeed to stay above 1/30th (faster if you are zoomed out) to avoid camera shake. The aperature is going to determine your depth of feild. If you want it shallow, the use a large aperature (small number). If you want it deep, use a small aperature (large number).

So quick answer, decide the depth you want, adjust the shutter speed to the exposure you want, if its too slow, turn on the flash and turn it back up.

I know its too simple an answer and to really make creative choices you need to learn all of this stuff. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    White balance may be your biggest issue, because an auto show has lots of different kinds of light going on.

As for the rest of it, put the camera on aperature priority, and pick a large aperature (smaller f-stop number.) Depth of field won't be a problem with your camera, and the wide aperature may compensate for low light levels.

Sorry I missed this before you left for the show.

Post yer pics!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    Thnx for the replies. Sux they were late tho.
    But true, auto shows are not the best place to practice photography. There's different lighting in every room; you have to ask people to move away to take a shot and the camera is shaky. But still, some really nice pictures can be taken on auto shows if you are a good photographer and know the technqiues and how your camera works. For me, it was the first time that I tried to take pictures not for reacreation. I'll post some tho...
    Photography seems cool, alot to learn and you can constantly improve. Therefore, criticism would be welcomed. thumb.gif

I took 105 pics with my A70, but these were the best IMO.

http://public.fotki.com/flyer643/