Options

What does crop factor mean ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited January 22, 2005 in Technique
I know how to crop a shot down in PS but is that what they mean when they say...

" Great lens particularly when at a 1.6 crop factor "

ta gus

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I know how to crop a shot down in PS but is that what they mean when they say...

ta gus

It has to do with the fact that an APS sized sensor is smaller than a 35mm film ( 24x36 mm) SLR's image size. A good explanation is here http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dslr-mag.shtml
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Where would we be without you mate...that looks deep. Going back in to read ........................................................................................................................12 times 1drink.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

ta gus

it's a magnified field of view, becuase the sensor in most dslrs is smaller than an actual 35mm negative.

on canon, the rebel, 10d, 20d all have a 1.6 "crop factor" the 1D Mark II has a 1.3x crop factor and the 1Ds Mark II has no crop factor, the sensor is the same size as a 35mm film negative.

on nikon, they are 1.5x crop factors.

on 4/3s systems like olympus, they are 2x.

so, on a nikon, a 50mm lens has an equivalent field of view to a 75mm lens on a 35mm film camera. it makes your lenses appear longer, but it also makes the wide end more challenging. that's why canon just came out with the 10-22mm, so when that lens is on a 20d, it's equiv to a traditional 16-35mm :D

confused? don't worry too much about it.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    So much to learn :bash just reading about the bigma....shay you mongrel...cant get it out of my head, if only it were white or grey.

Might have to get a kava brew going :slosh i need to hear that tree fall in the forest.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

ta gus

The real significance of the crop factor is that a lens that is kind of soft in the corners of a 35mm negative, may be sharp in the corners of the smaller APS sized sensor of a 10D for instance.

I have an older Tamron 28-105 f2.8 mm lens for a Nikon AF mount from about 1980. It was never thought of very highly because it was soft in the corners in 35 mm, but with the smaller image circle of the APS sized sensor it is a pretty decent piece of glass.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    So much to learn :bash just reading about the bigma....shay you mongrel...cant get it out of my head, if only it were white or grey.

Might have to get a kava brew going :slosh i need to hear that tree fall in the forest.
    If I set myself a budget of €2,000 over two years to buy lens I can get:

Canon 100-400 L €2,000

Canon 24-70 L €1,600

Canon 16-35 L €1,800

Canon 17-40 + Canon 70-200 F4 €1,900

Canon 17-40 + Sigma 70-200 F2.8 + 2x extender € 2,100

Sigma 70-200 2.8 + Sigma 17-35 2.8 +
    Sigma 24-70 2.8 + 2x extender €2,000

Sigma 50-500 + Canon 17-40 €2,000

Sigma 50-500 +
    (Sigma 17-35 or Sigma 24-70) €1,730

Motorbike holiday to Norway, 3 weeks, go to Artic cirle

see midnight sun & take loads of "postcard" photos of fjords,

loads of beer mwink.gif €2,500

Guess which option I'm going to pick
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    You know how, when you zoom in, you narrow your field of view?

The smaller sensor in digital cameras has the same effect as zooming in.

Andy's jazzed about his full frame sensor, because it doesn't "zoom in". His wide angle lenses are as wide as they're supposed to be. Put the same wide angle lens on a camera with a smaller sensor, and it looks "zoomed in" - it doesn't shoot as wide a pic as it would on a camera with a larger sensor.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    shay wrote:
    If I set myself a budget of €2,000 over two years to buy lens I can get:

Canon 100-400 L €2,000
    For the €2,000 you can fly to the states spend a long weekend touring some place inexpensive like Boston (ask me about cheap places to stay and eat) and have Adorama ship the lens to you the first dat you are here. NOTE: All of my "regular" UPS shipments from Adorama have actually arrived next day.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You know how, when you zoom in, you narrow your field of view?

The smaller sensor in digital cameras has the same effect as zooming in.

Andy's jazzed about his full frame sensor, because it doesn't "zoom in". His wide angle lenses are as wide as they're supposed to be. Put the same wide angle lens on a camera with a smaller sensor, and it looks "zoomed in" - it doesn't shoot as wide a pic as it would on a camera with a larger sensor.
    But it is a lot more complicated in some interesting ways. DoF is pretty much as it would be with the original stated as opposed to the factored focal length and diffraction distorton is marginally greater for lenses design for the crop factor like the EF-S lenses when they stop down, but there is one very positve aspect and that is that the image being used is from the sweet spot of the lens since the greater distortions on the edges and corners are cropped out. Still I would rather have a full frame image and do my own cropping.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    'gus i know your short attention span...
    just know that when you buy your dslr, you'll need to think about a really wide lens... like the 10-22 efs ($725 usd) on the canon system (20d or rebel only) or 16-35L ($1100 usd), any canon dslr... nikon has similar lenses and prices. olympus even makes a zuiko 11mm i think now, too. what these lenses will do is give you the wide you are used to on your oly, if not even a bit wider (much wider if you have the 10-22mm from canon say...). again, the crop factor has the effect of making your lenses "more tele" if you catch my drift.

you won't have any issues with "crop factor" on the tele end of things, in fact your teles you buy will actually seem to be a bit longer :D
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    With the crop factor, does the image you see in the viewfinder the exact image of what the picture will look like in terms of cropping? If that didn't make sense, say you are taking a picture of a square and the edges of the square fit perfectly in the frame of the viewfinder. Will the picture be the exact same as what you see in the viewfinder, or will it be cropped a bit?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    With the crop factor, does the image you see in the viewfinder the exact image of what the picture will look like in terms of cropping? If that didn't make sense, say you are taking a picture of a square and the edges of the square fit perfectly in the frame of the viewfinder. Will the picture be the exact same as what you see in the viewfinder, or will it be cropped a bit?
    Depends on the camera, but I don't the crop factor has anything to do with it. Different cameras show you different percentages of the actual image, in the viewfinder. The more you pay for your camera, the more likely you are to see the full image in your viewfinder.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Would you happen to know the percent of the image seen in the viewfinder on the Digital Rebel?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Would you happen to know the percent of the image seen in the viewfinder on the Digital Rebel?
    95%, according to the review in dpreview.

Viewfinder
    • Pentamirror
    • 95% frame coverage
    • Magnification: 0.88x (-1 diopter with 50 mm lens at infinity)
    • Eyepoint: 20 mm
    • Dioptric adjustment: -3.0 to +1.0 diopter
    • Fixed laser matte screen
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    please be careful sid....
    wxwax wrote:
    95%, according to the review in dpreview.

Viewfinder
    • Pentamirror
    • 95% frame coverage
    • Magnification: 0.88x (-1 diopter with 50 mm lens at infinity)
    • Eyepoint: 20 mm
    • Dioptric adjustment: -3.0 to +1.0 diopter
    • Fixed laser matte screen

there's a certain bloke from oz who's head might explode with all that info lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ... like the 10-22 efs
    Just been looking at your suggestion...impressive lens indeed !