Options

Hey LuLu printers... how do you do full bleed?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited February 24, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I know there must be LuLu users here... yes, that means YOU Andy! :rofl (or anyone else please)

Actually, anyone who has used the service... how do you get your calendar images to print to the page edges?

I've never used them before so, I'm going to print a sample for myself to see the quality and compare with two others I"m going to experiment with. What's life without experimentation, right? :rofl

Thanks in advance, guys and gals!

Markjay
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Markjay
    Markjay wrote:
    I know there must be LuLu users here... yes, that means YOU Andy! rolleyes1.gif (or anyone else please)

Actually, anyone who has used the service... how do you get your calendar images to print to the page edges?

I've never used them before so, I'm going to print a sample for myself to see the quality and compare with two others I"m going to experiment with. What's life without experimentation, right? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks in advance, guys and gals!

Markjay

Me no Andy, but since I use Lulu both for selling and for myself I thought I'd pitch in.
    In essense, just follow the recommendations and take into account what format of the calendar you use (there are two AFAIK). There is also a preview (although it take PAINFULLY long to generate), so you can reformat and reupload the picture if something is wrong.

Catch: if you reupload the file under the same name, Lulu will take all its sweet time to upload it and process it, after which it will happily ignore the results and keep the old image. deal.gif
    I have learned to add extra characters to the file name to avoid this odd behaviour after wasting a couple of hours trying to make it work. :bash

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Is Lulu the best company out there for this type of thing? (within that price range!!) I'm going to be printing some calendars and such, and want to try to get the best for the money.
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

1. what do you mean differnt formats for the calendars... I wasn't aware there were different formats! Oiu... so much to learn, so little time! :-)

2. What does AFAIK mean? This will probably be a DUH for me, I'm sure!

Nikolai wrote:
    Me no Andy, but since I use Lulu both for selling and for myself I thought I'd pitch in.
    In essense, just follow the recommendations and take into account what format of the calendar you use (there are two AFAIK). There is also a preview (although it take PAINFULLY long to generate), so you can reformat and reupload the picture if something is wrong.

Catch: if you reupload the file under the same name, Lulu will take all its sweet time to upload it and process it, after which it will happily ignore the results and keep the old image. deal.gif
    I have learned to add extra characters to the file name to avoid this odd behaviour after wasting a couple of hours trying to make it work. :bash

HTH
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Markjay wrote:
    2. What does AFAIK mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFAIK#A

I haven't used Lulu in a while, sorry Mark....
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Full Bleed
    Means that when the image/page/calendar is cut by the printers after the printing process the image will appear edge to edge without any white showing.

In order to do this you must make your artwork 1/8 of an inch larger on all sides of the image.

So for example if the final "trim" size is 8 x 10 inches, your artwork needs to be 8.25 by 10.25 inches....

Some printers want 1/4 of an inch instead of 1/8. You are always safe making the "bleed" 1/4 of an inch.

Hope this answers your question.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    M. J.
    Markjay wrote:
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

1. what do you mean differnt formats for the calendars... I wasn't aware there were different formats! Oiu... so much to learn, so little time! :-)

2. What does AFAIK mean? This will probably be a DUH for me, I'm sure!

1) Please, read the publishing instructions on Lulu:-). In fact, when you start a new calendar, you'll be given a choice of Standard Vs. Premium.
    2) AFAIK=As Far As I Know

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"