Options

One of the most beautiful ladys I've met in my journeys

cocasanacocasana Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited February 26, 2007 in People
I was walking in a village named Wainyapu on the western coast of the island of Sumba, in Indonesia when this lady invited me in her hut. I've asked her if I could take a photo of her, and she declined. After having seen that other people agreed, she asked for. It was the first time she was photographed. I think she is beautiful and extremely and elegant!!! Don't you? I would be interested to know your opinions, comments, critiques... Thanks, Carlo
Canon 1dmk2, Canon 85mm f/1.2.

Comments

• Options
    NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Carlo,

You take incredible portraits. The lighting here is glorious. And yes, she looks very elegant, quite regal in her bearing.

Thanks for sharing. I always scan the page for a post from you. :D
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    I'n sorry, I didnt realize that it only one and a half day had passed from my last upload. I will stay calm for a while! Again my apologise!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Wow...that's the best portrait I've seen in a long time!!! Super lighting! Yes, she is quite an elegant and beautiful woman, but your photogaphic skills help promote that beauty. Keep posting more portraits! (Just add them to this thread!) :saurora
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    Thanks Nandita. Thanks Saurora! I'll follow your advise!
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Simply astounding. You really have a gift. bowdown.gif
    --Kres
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Great photo! I love the lighting of this one. thumb.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    JohnC wrote:
    Great photo! I love the lighting of this one. thumb.gif

In our minds eye, this is how each of us hopes a night portrait opportunity such as this turns out. You've accomplished quite a challenging feat. It's natural yet dramatic. I love the way you exposed the highlights in the background, very nicely done. My favorite of yours thus far.

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Beautiful subject and sweet light. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Lee
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I think you did a great job of capturing her inner and outer beauty.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    cocasana wrote:
    I'n sorry, I didnt realize that it only one and a half day had passed from my last upload. I will stay calm for a while! Again my apologise!
    No problem.

Just add to an existing thread, instead of creating a new one for each photo. We love your work and want to see more of it.

*Just add your next photo to this thread, or to one of your other threads. *

Helps avoid clutter. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited February 26, 2007
    cocasana wrote:
    I was walking in a village named Wainyapu on the western coast of the island of Sumba, in Indonesia when this lady invited me in her hut. I've asked her if I could take a photo of her, and she declined. After having seen that other people agreed, she asked for. It was the first time she was photographed. I think she is beautiful and extremely and elegant!!! Don't you? I would be interested to know your opinions, comments, critiques... Thanks, Carlo
    Canon 1dmk2, Canon 85mm f/1.2.

Carlo, the light is coming from her left and below her. Was this sunlight reflecting off the ocean surface nearby? Very lovely soft, warm lighting.

She looks very calm and self possessed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Wow, this is a lovely capture - amazing light. I'd be happy if the first photo anyone took of me looked like this!
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I haven't replied to any of your posts yet, but I want to say that I've really enjoyed seeing your portraits. Not that I get it any more, but they remind me of the type of portrait you would see in National Geographic. Excellent work and I'll be looking for more!

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Beautiful lady! Beautiful photo!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Thank you dear digin friends for stopping and commenting.
    pathfinder: the ocean wasn't far, but the light was coming from below because of the way Sumbamese huts are build. They are build on poles at 1, 1,5 m till 2 m from the ground and the the really tall roof ends becoming a canopy that runs around the hut ending at more or less at the same hight. That way the light can't get in the hut but from below. I'm don't if my explanation was understandable. Have a look here http://www.orgs.ttu.edu/architecturalresearchcenter/vernacular/architecture%20of%20wanukaka1.htm
    BTW Sumbamese huts are beautiful. Sumba people are 80% Animist, they follow the Marapu religion. Everything in the way they build their hut is symbolic and strictly related to their religion. Really an interesting place to visit.