looking for workflow advice

pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited March 29, 2007 in Finishing School
Up until now, I've done all my post-processing in Photoshop CS2, one-by-one. Now I'm getting into larger shoots, and need to get more streamlined.

I have i2e, trial version of Lightroom, and of course Photoshop CS2. I'd like to hear from others how you are incorporating this software into a productive workflow that yields great results.

What do you do in which software, in what order? Until now I've been shooting jpeg, but will mostly likely move to RAW.

thanks,
teresa

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    pigeon wrote:
    Up until now, I've done all my post-processing in Photoshop CS2, one-by-one. Now I'm getting into larger shoots, and need to get more streamlined.

I have i2e, trial version of Lightroom, and of course Photoshop CS2. I'd like to hear from others how you are incorporating this software into a productive workflow that yields great results.

What do you do in which software, in what order? Until now I've been shooting jpeg, but will mostly likely move to RAW.

thanks,
    teresa
    For global exposure and color correction, you can't beat i2e. I'd start there, and then do spot work as needed in CS2.
  • pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Thanks Andy.
    Where does Lightroom fit into the equation?

-teresa
    Andy wrote:
    For global exposure and color correction, you can't beat i2e. I'd start there, and then do spot work as needed in CS2.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Heres my steps, although I am still tweaking them

1) Copy CR2's into Working Files directory on Desktop.
    2) Using Adobe Bridge rate shots
    • 2 Star - Spend most time on these
    • 1 Star - majority of shots, average shots
    • Green Label - Need reevaluating
    • Red Label - Need to delete
    3) Delete the Red Labels
    4) Load all 1 Stars into ACR and do basic editing
    5) Load all 2 stars into ACR and do basic editing
    6) Load all Green Labels into ACR and determine what rating to give and edit them.
    7) Load all shots (1 Stars, 2 Stars, Green Labels) into ACR and convert to DNG
    8) Using IDImager Downloader move DNG's into dated directory, and apply global catalog labels / metadata.
    9) Sort out 2 star image using IDImager and load into photoshop and perform advanced edits. Save these files then load as versions in IDImager.

Anyway, that is what I do. I don't do huge amounts of shots right now, so this works for me. I tried Lightroom, but using Photoshop CS3 Beta all the same controls are available, and I just prefer not using one more program. There are a lot of people on here far more experienced than IO, so take my workflow with a grain of salt! But I hope this helps a little.ne_nau.gif

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify why I don't save every RAW as a JPEG. Using the DNG format I save a Full Sized Preview inside the DNG file. This is automaticall used by programs like IDImager. The JPEG preview is the RAW file with all the changes made to it. This way you have the advantages of saving as JPEG, without the hassle or space requirements.
  • ReWriteReWrite Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Here's what I do:
    1. Shoot raw!
    2. Pop the CF card into the reader - Lightroom 1.0 importer fires up, copies photos to date based directories and renames photos using date based name.
    3. 1st pass through shots in Lightroom - mark all total duds as rejects (X key). - delete these from Lightroom and disk (Ctrl-backspace).
    4. 2nd pass through in Lightroom, select ones for further processing, these get 1 star.
    5. Apply Lightroom star filter at 1 star, and rip through a basic Lightroom adjustment of keepers - Exposure, Contrast, Fill, Vibrance, dust and red-eye removal, Straighten.
    6. Any shots that need further work (multiple exposure combination, dodging/burning, etc) - Export TIFF to PS CS2. Particularly fabulous shots get more stars for possible future enlargement.
    7. Export 1400x1400px max JPEG's for web upload.
    8. Locate exported JPEGs in bridge, use photoshop batch image processor tool to apply a frame.
    9. Upload to web.
    Cheers

Ian

Canon 20d, digital rebel, 17-85 IS, 100 2.8 macro,
    10-22, 100-400L IS.
    Sounds like Lightroom is a common theme.
    How about i2e?

-teresa
  • ReWriteReWrite Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I've never used i2e, but from what I gather, it does smart batch processing of photos. If you're happy with the results that you get from i2e then you most likely don't need Lightroom. Photoshop would only be required for the same things that you would need it for if you were using Lightroom... the particularly tough shots that need layers or some other heavy lifting tool that you don't have available in i2e or Lightroom.

Ian

Canon 20d, digital rebel, 17-85 IS, 100 2.8 macro,
    10-22, 100-400L IS.
    I did a google on I2E and I think I found it at colour-science.com is this what everyone is talking about?headscratch.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    I did a google on I2E and I think I found it at colour-science.com is this what everyone is talking about?headscratch.gif
    Yep!

Btw, out of couriosity, is anyone using i2e, and lightroom in combination?

I just bought i2e, and star*explorer, am going to buy photoshop shortly, and debating about lightroom... :D