Why OpenID?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I see in the latest release that Smugmug supports some form of OpenID. Can anyone explain what we would do with this?

Has anyone used it yet?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 25, 2007
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

I've read these types of writeups, so I understand that much of the promise. What I don't understand is what will I do with Smugmug's support of OpenID?

Are you hoping that users use their Smugmug login/ID in other sites?

Are you accepting other site's OpenID logins as your Smugmug identity when you sign up? when you login?

When in my site experience or my visitor's Smugmug experience is this useful?

Is there a list of sites that support OpenID?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I've read these types of writeups, so I understand that much of the promise. What I don't understand is what will I do with Smugmug's support of OpenID?
    We’re an OpenID 1.1 Provider. Hundreds of thousands of SmugMug customers can now use their SmugMug homepage URL as their ID on sites all over the net.
    You can use your OpenID (your SmugMug URL when you are logged in) to access these other sites easily: for example, leaving a comment on Zoomr. Or a blog.
    Are you hoping that users use their Smugmug login/ID in other sites?
    Not hoping, but hopeful that it makes things easier :D
    Are you accepting other site's OpenID logins as your Smugmug identity when you sign up? when you login?
    We’re planning on consuming OpenID for photo comments and other things shortly.
    When in my site experience or my visitor's Smugmug experience is this useful?
    For you, if you wish to use another service, so the example of leaving a comment on a blog, or AOL somewhere, or another photo site. For your visitors, if they come from an OpenID provider, they'll leave a comment maybe on your site, much easier.
    Is there a list of sites that support OpenID?
    Sure.
    edited February 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We’re an OpenID 1.1 Provider. Hundreds of thousands of SmugMug customers can now use their SmugMug homepage URL as their ID on sites all over the net.
    You can use your OpenID (your SmugMug URL when you are logged in) to access these other sites easily: for example, leaving a comment on Zoomr. Or a blog.

For you, if you wish to use another service, so the example of leaving a comment on a blog, or AOL somewhere, or another photo site. For your visitors, if they come from an OpenID provider, they'll leave a comment maybe on your site, much easier.

Sure.

OK, thanks. That's what I was looking to understand.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    OK, thanks. That's what I was looking to understand.
    rolleyes1.gifGlad you do. Now explain it to us dummys.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 26, 2007
    OpenID login failed
    Andy wrote:

Sure.
    I may not know what I'm doing with OpenID, but I came across this site that takes an openID login so I tried my Smugmug URL "jfriend.smugmug.com" and it just fails and says:

OpenID authentication failed

No session state found.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the site I was trying it on? Is this supposed to work? Are there example sites where my Smugmug homepage ID would work for an openID login?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 26, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I may not know what I'm doing with OpenID, but I came across this site that takes an openID login so I tried my Smugmug URL "jfriend.smugmug.com" and it just fails and says:

OpenID authentication failed

No session state found.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the site I was trying it on? Is this supposed to work? Are there example sites where my Smugmug homepage ID would work for an openID login?
    John,

it does work, but one of the things that is a bit sucky about OpenID is that you need to provide the "correct" url. ie. in your case 'http://jfriend.smugmug.com/' including the trailing slash.

Read Don's blog for more info.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited February 26, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    John,

it does work, but one of the things that is a bit sucky about OpenID is that you need to provide the "correct" url. ie. in your case 'http://jfriend.smugmug.com/' including the trailing slash.

Read Don's blog for more info.

Cheers,

David

Thanks, I got LiveJournal to take my login with the trailing slash, but found four other sites that just reported errors. Definitely looks like there are interesting possibilities here, but I guess it's just getting going.

It's ironic that the LiveJournal UI shows an example URL without the trailing slash.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • spdevspdev Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

at first i was confused about openid and didnt really see much advantage, but after alot of reading and recently implementing openid commenting on my blog im beggining to see how it could be useful, although there are plenty of possible security flaws/exploits that could arise from this.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    I'm just getting started with this and am slightly confused... if we have a .MyOpenID.com identity, can we use it in some way with our (pro) SmugMug account?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    I'm just getting started with this and am slightly confused... if we have a .MyOpenID.com identity, can we use it in some way with our (pro) SmugMug account?
    no but you can use your http://nickname.smugmug.com on other openID sites, AFAIK.
    edited March 19, 2007
    Ah, I had it backwards. thanks.
    edited March 19, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    Ah, I had it backwards. thanks.
    As I've read up on OpenID, I've gotten the impression that most users are likely to choose one large, stable organization that they are likely to have a long term relationship with and use that as their main "openID provider".

For example, I believe AOL has provided all AIM users with an openID identity and MSN has announced it's intention to also. I would assume that Yahoo and Google would follow suit.

Once you have an openID identity, it's more interesting to you as a user to find lots of openID "consumers" so that you can use your main identity in lots of places, thus saving you the work of having to create lots of new user accounts all over the internet.

Because the security implifications are fairly simple for some uses, it appears that a number of places are starting to consume openID identities for identifying the posters of blog comments. Earlier in this thread, Smugmug indicates that they will probably do that for Smugmug photo comments too which allows the person leaving the comment to be identified.

This one is pure conjecture on my part (and I'm sure the Smugmug folks have even better ideas up their sleeves), but as an idea of what could be done with openID, Smugmug could allow openID authorization for access control to galleries, so you could list the openIDs of family members allowed to access a gallery and they could then access the desired galleries without having to enter gallery passwords. This would enable true access control without requiring every viewer to register on the Smugmug site. It probably remains to be seen if openID authentication becomes trusted enough for Smugmug customers to want to use it this way, but it is the promise of a system like this.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    This one is pure conjecture on my part (and I'm sure the Smugmug folks have even better ideas up their sleeves), but as an idea of what could be done with openID, Smugmug could allow openID authorization for access control to galleries, so you could list the openIDs of family members allowed to access a gallery and they could then access the desired galleries without having to enter gallery passwords. This would enable true access control without requiring every viewer to register on the Smugmug site. It probably remains to be seen if openID authentication becomes trusted enough for Smugmug customers to want to use it this way, but it is the promise of a system like this.
    John, I totally dig this great idea of yours! Please go ahead and post it in the feature requests. clap.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    no but you can use your http://nickname.smugmug.com on other openID sites, AFAIK.
    Plus custom domains seem to work too! clap.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 22, 2007
    John, I totally dig this great idea of yours! Please go ahead and post it in the feature requests. clap.gif

Sebastian

Done. Feature request posted here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Done. Feature request posted here.

John,

As Don mentioned in the Feature Request thread, we came up with this idea a few weeks ago, as a solution to a 3rd party interfacing issue...and it really sucks that we can't implement it.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 23, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Why am I not surprised that you would ask this question? rolleyes1.gifIt's a great question and something we'd love to do, but our understanding of the patent trolls is anything that identifies a second user to grant permission is something they feel violates their patents (that they don't use). We're exploring a license.
    edited March 23, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Why am I not surprised that you would ask this question? rolleyes1.gifIt's a great question and something we'd love to do, but our understanding of the patent trolls is anything that identifies a second user to grant permission is something they feel violates their patents (that they don't use). We're exploring a license.

I am all to familiar with patent litigation myself. The less money you can spend on lawyers, the better. I hope you figure this one out even if it pains you to pay for a license to something that just shows how in need of a redesign the patent system is.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • TedologyTedology Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Forgive me for asking this... as I'm a laymen in every sense of the word.

But wouldn't an OpenID open up the door for massive identity theft? (ie. If the hackers get my OpenID, then they have access to EVERY account that I use it?)

Or perhaps I'm not understanding this correctly. ne_nau.gif
    Ted
    My Site
    My Gallery
    "Satan trembles when he sees
    the weakest saint on his knees."
    edited March 26, 2007
    Tedology wrote:
    But wouldn't an OpenID open up the door for massive identity theft? (ie. If the hackers get my OpenID, then they have access to EVERY account that I use it?)

It's meant, as I understand, for the myriad of accounts that if stolen wouldn't be a financial or identity loss.
    Kim Cameron: "It is as strong, and as weak, as DNS. In other words, it is great for transactions that won’t attract criminal attack, and terrible for those that will."
    edited March 26, 2007
    Tedology wrote:
    Forgive me for asking this... as I'm a laymen in every sense of the word.

Or perhaps I'm not understanding this correctly. ne_nau.gif

I have more than 100 online accounts on the net. For most of them, it's a total nuisance to have to maintain a completely separate account and I'd love to be able to use the same login at many of them. To give you some examples, I'd be perfectly happy to have one OpenID account that I could use at:
    • adobe
    • linkedin
    • dpreview
    • dgrin
    • statcounter
    • blogger
    • fredmiranda
    • nikoncafe
    • ups
    • retouchpro
    • nikonians
    • slashdot
    • five different golf courses that accept online tee times
    • opentable
    • youtube
    • various loyalty programs that have web sites (like airlines)
    Note that none of these accounts have my credit card, they are just things I use on the net that require a user account before I can use them.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the technology is ready for accounts that do serious financial transactions. It's crawl, walk, run. Let's first solve the problem of the proliferation of lots of low security risk accounts.
    --John
    HomepagePopular