Cold Weather - initial attempts (5 images)

Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited February 27, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hi,

With the winter weather here recently, thought I'd attempt a few shots. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the DOF & composition of these.

Thanks and Take care,
- Deanna

132007777-L.jpg

Thought this looked like a Layer Cake...mmmmm!

132013762-L.jpg

132007957-L.jpg

And for fun our road, PP x2:

132007467-L.jpg

132007516-L.jpg

Comments

• LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    I like the composition of the first one but the DOF simply doesn't do it for me.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    I like number 1 a lot. I use that kind of DOF on shots and really like it. The composition is really nice.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Hi,

With the winter weather here recently, thought I'd attempt a few shots. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the DOF & composition of these.

Thanks and Take care,
    - Deanna
    Thought this looked like a Layer Cake...mmmmm!
    And for fun our road, PP x2:

I like the first shot Deanna, with the curve in the railing on the fence clap.gif
    The icicle drips do remind me of a layer cake too, and the pavers make an interesting pattern covered in snowflakes.

Thanks for sharing........... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Thanks Lille, Mike, and Skippy!

I'm still not sure about the DOF as I'm aware that foreground OOF makes some viewers nauseated :puke1 Personally, I don't think I'm as bothered by it (stronger stomach, I guess ne_nau.gif )

Take care,
    - Deanna
  • DanDanDanDan Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    it's nice..i like snow.
    edited February 26, 2007
    DanDan wrote:
    it's nice..i like snow.

Thanks for commenting Dan.

I like snow too but I don't think my body is in agreement (esp. my hands) had to come in a couple of times to warm them up and then head back out. You'd think I'd be accustom to it having grown-up with the weather headscratch.gif .

Take care,
    - Deanna
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I like the curve in the first shot but I think it is going the wrong way. it captures your attention but then leads the eye out of the frame pretty quickly so you do not look at the 3/4 of the image to the upper right. Plus in an image that is predominately white your eye is drawn to the dark sections, so the railing draws your attention but the secondary point of interest is the darker tree in the upper right. So you have two "attention grabbers" in the frame but they are in opposite corners to they compete for the viewers attention.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    love the first image, this works for me as is... I think you have composed it really well IMHOclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    After a hot day sweating in the sun its always pleasent to come home & see these shots thumb.gif
    edited February 27, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    I like the curve in the first shot but I think it is going the wrong way. it captures your attention but then leads the eye out of the frame pretty quickly so you do not look at the 3/4 of the image to the upper right. Plus in an image that is predominately white your eye is drawn to the dark sections, so the railing draws your attention but the secondary point of interest is the darker tree in the upper right. So you have two "attention grabbers" in the frame but they are in opposite corners to they compete for the viewers attention.

Thanks Nick for your feedback.

Do you think that if I would have place more space (except that would be road so not really empty) on the left the viewer may be more inclined to take in the tree line as well or would a different angle be helpful?

Take care,
    - Deanna
    edited February 27, 2007
    Thanks Francis (frg) and Gus wave.gif