PC Card slot adapter--SmartMedia

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 23, 2005 in Flea Market
Anyone need this? You pay shipping, it's yours.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    What kind of card is it for? And, how quick is this compared to USB 2? And I could just stick it in my laptop pc card slot, right? I just don't want to take something for essentially free if somebody else rather have it.
    Richard
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    What kind of card is it for? And, how quick is this compared to USB 2? And I could just stick it in my laptop pc card slot, right? I just don't want to take something for essentially free if somebody else rather have it.
    Richard

It's for SmartMedia Cards. I have no idea how the speed compares to USB2, you'd have to ask a PC geek.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Much slower than USB2. But there was a time when it was the most convenient way to get SmartMedia into your computer. Short battery life. Very convenient, tho - just slip it into your floppy drive.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Much slower than USB2. But there was a time when it was the most convenient way to get SmartMedia into your computer. Short battery life. Very convenient, tho - just slip it into your floppy drive.

Maybe I've written it up wrong, but there's no battery, it just goes in the slot, not floppy, but that slot that I thought was called PC Card Adapter. Did I get it wrong?

EDIT: It's NOT this one, but essentially the same. Just a different brand. Came with my Digital Wallet, way back when.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Different adapter, waxy. The adapter that goes in the cardbus slot is very fast (usually). Faster than USB, depending on the adapter. But then again, it's SmartMedia, and they suck. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Oops, my bad. Never mind.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    Duh, it said smart media in the description. I saw that, but for some reason thought it said Sandisk, so I thought it was just saying the brand. Well, it's for someone other than me then.
    Richard