Options

Shrovetide (8 img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited February 28, 2007 in People
Priviet, dear friends!
Before I fell ill (influenza), I took some shots at shrovetide.
I thought it might be interesting to you. This holiday - is a kind of saying good bye to winter on one hand and the the last day before the fast on another. Some people here keep the fast. Do not eat meat, eggs and so on... People usualy eat pancakes (with honey, jam or caviar) on this holiday - last day!

So in Russian it is called 'Maslennitca' . They make such a 'doll' - also called Maslennitca.
4607.jpg

Then they take pieces of material, write down their problems there (avidity for example). This doll will be fired later...
4603.jpg

People play different games, sing songs, have fun
4614.jpg

After Maslennitca fells down, people start jumping over the fire.
Here's Galina - some time ago I took her photo in the street - she invited me to this holiday in one of the schools, where she works - jumping...
4617.jpg

As you know I love faces, - so here are some of shots taken at school's performance

4590.jpg
4589.jpg
4597.jpg

And, of course, it will not be Yuri Pautov if he doesnt take portrait of interesting girl :-)
4586.jpg

Now everythinh is OK with me.
Some other shots are at my site at Events pages...
Spasibo,
Yuri

Comments

• Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Hello Yuri,

I enjoyed your pictures, and all the much more because of your explanation. I had not heard of Shrovetide before. One of my favorites is number 4: she has such glee in her face, and I like that you captured it juuuuust before she cleared the fire--it lends excitement and action to the shot. I also like number 8: very sharp, and yes, interesting. :)

Hope you recover from the flu soon!

happy day,

wren

edit: forgot to ask---have any shots of the pancakes with jam or caviar? Yum!
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    There are a few people on this board that I consider my long distance "mentors." Artisits that I keep in my mind as I frame and shoot. You are certainly one of them. So much personality and emotion come out of your portraits - you have a very special gift. thumb.gif

Spasibo!
    --Kres
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Thank you for sharing some of your culture! My favorite shot is #7...his eyes are so clear and bright. I also really enjoyed the girl jumping over the fire. I have had much difficulty taking candid-style shots lately. Yours are inspiring!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    I love every one of them. You have a gift for capturing the eyes. They speak to me in every picture you take. I feel like I am getting to know a lot of Russia and Russians through your work.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Spasibo,
    dear friends!
    Yuri