Mail Forwarding

wickendenwickenden Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited February 28, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I set up a joker.com domain, c name type record to set daylightvision.com to go to my wickenden.smugmug.com account. That works wonderfully.

I've also setup several email addresses to forward to my gmail accounts, but none of them are working at all. I've asked joker.com, but they say it is working on their end and I should check with smugmug.

I'm at a loss... it's been several days and email to don@daylightvision.com never arrives, never times out... nothing.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but I'm clueless as to what.

I sent an email to help@smugmug.com, but I got no reply.

I'd appreciate any insight.

don

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    I set up a joker.com domain, c name type record to set daylightvision.com to go to my wickenden.smugmug.com account. That works wonderfully.

I've also setup several email addresses to forward to my gmail accounts, but none of them are working at all. I've asked joker.com, but they say it is working on their end and I should check with smugmug.

I'm at a loss... it's been several days and email to don@daylightvision.com never arrives, never times out... nothing.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but I'm clueless as to what.
    we don't deal with your joker mail - it should be unaffected by your CNAME alias.
    edited February 26, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    I sent an email to help@smugmug.com, but I got no reply.

Hi Don, i've found our other correspondence - but I don't see one on this subject, I'm sorry. When did you mail us on this?
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    wickenden wrote:

Unfortunately the response you have received from joker is all too common.

Nothing to do with SmugMug. Time to go back to joker and show them that your mail is handled by joker not Smugmug:

daylightvision.com mail is handled (pri=10) by mail.joker.com

You should request the mail logs for your domain's mail forwarding. That's the only way that joker can prove to you that they aren't joking.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    If you are using google apps for your domain for email (http://www.google.com/a/), there may be some mx records that need to be resolved.

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=33352
  • wickendenwickenden Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Don, i've found our other correspondence - but I don't see one on this subject, I'm sorry. When did you mail us on this?

it was only about 9 hours ago... I was being a bit impatient trying to figure it all out. Here's what I sent:
    wickenden@gmail.com > help@smugmug.com

Feb 26, 2007 2:30 PM

question about mail forwarding
    I used Joker.com as your site recommended to get my domain name. There, I also turned on mailforwarding, so I can get mail to myname@mydomain.com.
    Is there something about smugmugs interaction with domains that would cause this not to work? Still haven't heard back from joker, so I thought I'd ask you folks. Mail to my specificed and verified addresses isn't coming to me.

don
    edited February 27, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:

You should request the mail logs for your domain's mail forwarding.

Thanks Bill... can you help me understand what pri-10 means? I don't quite get that line.

don
    edited February 27, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    it was only about 9 hours ago... I was being a bit impatient trying to figure it all out. Here's what I sent:

Hi Don, checking the entire mail server I don't find one from you last night :(

OK no worries, we'll take care of things here...
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    Thanks Bill... can you help me understand what pri-10 means? I don't quite get that line.

It's the priority of the mail record in DNS. It doesn't matter at all in what I posted or in the issue you are currently having. The basic issue is that joker.com is set up to handle all of the incoming mail for your domain name (i.e. all mail addressed to your domain is handled by joker). SmugMug has nothing to do with mail delivery for your domain, and that mail record shows it.

One thing I can suggest right now while waiting for joker to respond is to look at your mail forwarding configuration at joker and verify that you have the addresses where you want your mail forwarded to entered in correctly. Any typos and you won't get your mail.

Joker's mail logs would quickly show what is happening with mail addressed to your domain.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited February 27, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    It's the priority of the mail record in DNS. It doesn't matter at all in what I posted or in the issue you are currently having. The basic issue is that joker.com is set up to handle all of the incoming mail for your domain name (i.e. all mail addressed to your domain is handled by joker). SmugMug has nothing to do with mail delivery for your domain, and that mail record shows it.

One thing I can suggest right now while waiting for joker to respond is to look at your mail forwarding configuration at joker and verify that you have the addresses where you want your mail forwarded to entered in correctly. Any typos and you won't get your mail.

Joker's mail logs would quickly show what is happening with mail addressed to your domain.

Thanks Bill.

I get that it has nothing to do with smugmug, and I'm sure the email forwarding i set up was done correctly because of the confirmation messages I got, and because I've specificed several addresses all going to different accounts -- none are getting through.

Hopefully Joker will listen to me and respond. But, so far, they are better than yahoo... I am helping my father with the domain we set up for him there, and they won't do anything more than send an automated message.

Perhaps I should have stuck with godaddy, who I use for another service.

don
    edited February 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Don, checking the entire mail server I don't find one from you last night :(

OK no worries, we'll take care of things here...

odd -- it's just in the ether...

d.
    edited February 28, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Unfortunately the response you have received from joker is all too common.

Nothing to do with SmugMug. Time to go back to joker and show them that your mail is handled by joker not Smugmug:

You should request the mail logs for your domain's mail forwarding. That's the only way that joker can prove to you that they aren't joking.

For what it's worth, it was my stupid mistake, not jokers and obviously not smugmugs. I'll reply to andy in case it helps anyone else.

don
    edited February 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    we don't deal with your joker mail - it should be unaffected by your CNAME alias.

Andy, I figured out what I was doing wrong, not joker.com, and not you folks of course. I was sending test messages from my gmail account to my email@domain.com. Those messages were routing to my other gmail account and I was relying on forwarding to get those messages back into my main gmail account. Bottom line, stupid stupid on my part, the messages were going from primary@gmail.com to email@mydomain.com to secondary@gmail.com. I assumed gmail forwarding would send those messages, but I think because gmail sees that they originated with primary@gmail.com it didn't forward them back to it from secondary@gmail.com. Had I once checked the secondary@gmail.com I would have seen this.

Sorry to have bothered everyone, but I thought my stupidity might be an example. Think! Narrow it down to the simplest scenario. I did neither.

don
    edited February 28, 2007
    Just a suggestion since you like gmail, give google apps for your domain a try for your email a try http://www.google.com/a/smallbiz/, and you can access your mail via a gmail interface at http://mail.datalightvision.com, you just setup your MX records a described in the step by step setup. It's free. And then you can forward all your other gmail accts individually (instead of in series) to your datalightvision.
    edited February 28, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    Just a suggestion since you like gmail, give google apps for your domain a try for your email a try http://www.google.com/a/smallbiz/, and you can access your mail via a gmail interface at http://mail.datalightvision.com, you just setup your MX records a described in the step by step setup. It's free. And then you can forward all your other gmail accts individually (instead of in series) to your datalightvision.

I've been wondering about this, but haven't really grasped it. I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up.

don
    edited February 28, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    I've been wondering about this, but haven't really grasped it. I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up.

don
    Basically google handles your email hosting for your domain instead of joker. It's exactly like gmail but branded under your domain.