First Time out with Zuiko 50-200 2.8

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited March 2, 2007 in Sports
Club Soccer shots from Feb 25th - first time out with my new Zuiko 50-200 2.8 lens.

How did I do?
132430737-L.jpg

132430306-L.jpg

Thanks-
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Club Soccer shots from Feb 25th - first time out with my new Zuiko 50-200 2.8 lens.

How did I do?
    132430737-L.jpg

132430306-L.jpg

Thanks-
    First one is nicely composed. The 2nd one could use a much more agressive crop. F/2.8 is your friend, use it to isolate the players from the background as much as possible.
  • John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:

How did I do?

Thanks-

Hmm. No EXIF info, so care to share at least what aperture and focal length each were? I'm not seeing the isolation and bokeh expected from a 2.8 lens wide open.

Put that bad boy at 200mm (which is short for non-little-kid soccer) and go wide open. You'll get much better backgrounds and nice fast shutter speeds that will isolate and freeze the action.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    wow do i ever like the exposure on that first shot !!
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    I'm not seeing the isolation and bokeh expected from a 2.8 lens wide open.

This lens is actually a 3.5 at full length (200mm), and due to the smaller sensor in a four thirds camera, DOF should be a little bigger than compared to other brands using bigger sensors, bringing somewhat less isolation. Still, you should be able to get a nice isolation and bokeh using this lens, but its different from other cameras.

And yes, I do really like the exposure on that first shot! thumb.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    IMO, both shots could use tighter crops as well as portrait orientation. In the first shot, I just don't think the other 2 players add anything to the composition - it's all about the players on the left of the frame.

2nd shot - the player heading the ball and the girl right below her. She's important because the player heading is facing the other way so thus not very interesting. The facial expression of the player on the ground gives interest to the composition. Everything else is noise and should be cropped out.

I also agree you need to frame tighter to start with - to decrease DOF and to ensure you don't have to crop as much

Also I would advise shooting in portrait orientation - 90% of shots have more vertical interest than horizontal. When you shoot landscape like this you end up having too much uninteresting dead space and in a case like the first shot you MAY not be able to change orientation in crop without over-cropping.