Options

God Beams!

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited March 1, 2007 in Landscapes
Ever since I saw Marc use the term "god beams" I've been laughing like a maniac. I've never heard that before but it's perfect for the phenomenon.

Additionally, I was reorganizing some of my older photo folders over the weekend and found this one from when I was in Nevada. Also, I thought I'd throw in another photo from recently that was literally an inexplicable "god beam" indoors.

131663465-L.jpg

This one was odd because the second floor of this building had mysterious indoor fog while the rest of it was clear. About 20 minutes later the fog (and the beams) were gone:

130521356-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    God Beams, classic.

I love industrial shots! One of my favorite subjects. The beam in #2 is very cool.
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2007
  • Options
    MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    I'm loving that internal shot, very cool..... I've always fancied taking some industrial shots, just can't seem to find anywhere near me...ne_nau.gif

One of my personal God Beam shots ( I never get tired of this one )

95276184-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Mog: that shot is amazing! Makes me want to know more about the physics of weather that create the clear halo around the cloud. Though it's probably mostly to do with cloud topography. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. :D

I had no idea people really liked industrial shots. I have been taking a lot of photos recently in places like that, though admittedly that room was the first I'd encountered a godbeam. Other photos from that trip are here, and I have other treks to true industrial locations if anyone is really interested!

I found another shot from a few years ago with nice beams, but at the time I was very new to DSLRs and processing. I wish I'd known about RAW formats then, d'oh. In Ireland:

10992719-M.jpg
  • Options
    MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Some great pictures in that gallery, they have an almost eerie feel to them. I really need to go and hunt for derelict buildings in my area, that has really given me a taste for it.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Thanks! I know that there are many places in the EU, and in the UK as I have seen many photos from fellow explorers. But I have never done any of that the one time I was there, unfortunately. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I had no idea people really liked industrial shots. I have been taking a lot of photos recently in places like that, though admittedly that room was the first I'd encountered a godbeam. Other photos from that trip are here, and I have other treks to true industrial locations if anyone is really interested!

What I'd like to know is how you go about finding those abandoned industrial locations!
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Two things: lots of research, and your car. mwink.gif

Finding good, reliable people to go with has been much harder for me!
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Hey!

I love that first shot, so moody, interesting and inspiring, all at once. For the second one, even though I find myself unconsciously tilting my head as I look at it, the angle you shot it at makes it for me. Even without the 'god beam', I would like it for that, heh. And I never knew until this post they were called that...though it sounds better than 'dem purdy lyts up in da sky' that I always thought of them as. ;)

As for having difficulty getting people to go with you on your Industrial Shooting Outings (ISO, har!), I say offer food. Beer + pizza. Beer + fajitas/burritos/tacos. Wine + greasy meat. Lemonade + sammiches. Toss in some brownies or other sugary goodness thing, and how can they refuse?

happy day,

wren
  • Options
    Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Very nice! I like that.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr