Introduction and Swedish Rally pic(s).

likwidlikwid Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited March 3, 2007 in Sports
Hello.

My name is Sebastian and i live in Sweden. I am new to this forum (been reading for a couple of weeks) and pretty new to photography.
I'm going to write a fairly elaborate post (as i have seen is the norm in the forum:D).
I got interested in photography maybe 7-8 years ago when my father was racing cars and I was asked to take some photographs of the race and the cars. He borrowed a Sony Mavica from his work that i got to play with. That is indeed the one with floppy discs :rofl. I have also used a Minolta 5000i and an old Minolta 101 I think it was called.
I was maybe 12-13 at this point and was running around the racetrack with my pockets full of floppydiscs and i loved it. I did that for a year or two and since then i haven't done a lot of photography (couldn't afford it anyway).

But now I have started working and finally decided to get into photography again and on my 20th birthday in January i bought a Sony Alpha 100 with the kit-lens and a Tamron 70-300mm. I bought the Sony because i like the grip much more than both Canon and Nikon and i already have some lenses from my old Minolta. I am happy with the camera but wouldn't mind a little less noise on the higher ISO settings.

I have attached an image i took at the Swedish Rally in february. This is almost the only one i could use. When i took the other pictures it was getting too dark and the noise level is very high but I could salvage a few of them. If there is any interest I could add a few more images.

Thank you for your time and please feel free to ask questions.

// Sebastian
Canon EOS 30D | Sigma EX 18-50/2.8 DC
Sony A-100 | Sony 18-70 kit lens | Tamron 70-300mm 4-5.6 | Minolta 50mm 1.7
// Sebastian

Comments

• TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Henning Solberg, yea?

Nice shot. Normally I'm not too fond of images with this much vertical crop, but this one is framed really nicely. Maybe chop a bit of the bottom to bring it closer to 3:2, if you like, but I think its great the way it is. Nice framing, action, all of it.

I'd love to see the others too.

Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to dgrin! :D
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    yess, awesome pix of Henning clap.gif
    I want more, more, more.
    I have pix from our USA snow rally here:http://rallymaniac.smugmug.com/gallery/2406892#126146530
  • likwidlikwid Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Wow, I really love the activity and the level of participation on this forum.

TylerW: I was trying to get a good crop on that image but they get so boring if it is just a close crop on the car. I wanted to get the snow smoking in the background and also show where he was going:D. Feel free to mod it if you come up with a better solution. Love the feedback. Thanks

rallymaniac: I have seen all your rallypics before and i really love them. Rally is by far the best sport that exists and i enjoy capturing the action of a really fast car and the spraying of snow, dirt, you name it:D. Thanks

Here is another image that was put through some serious photoshopping because of the noise level etc.

Thank you

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
    edited February 27, 2007
    I see the crop in the above pix.
    Would it be possible for you to redo it so that the people in green vests don't have their heads cut off? ;)
    Ohterwise very good shot in a difficult light. I like that.
    edited February 27, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. Here is one with a new crop and some other processing. I have used Photoshop for a number of years but I haven't done much with photos before so I am still learning new techniques every day :)

BTW, this was shot at 200mm, f4.5, 1/100 s, ISO 800. It was getting pretty dark.. :)
    // Sebastian
    // Sebastian
    edited February 27, 2007
    This one was actually taken by a friend of mine but i will take credit for it anyway because it was my camera and I was doing the driving. rolleyes1.gif

BTW: This was NOT from the rally :D but i wanted to share the picture anyway..

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
    edited February 27, 2007
    likwid wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. Here is one with a new crop and some other processing. I have used Photoshop for a number of years but I haven't done much with photos before so I am still learning new techniques every day :)

BTW, this was shot at 200mm, f4.5, 1/100 s, ISO 800. It was getting pretty dark.. :)
    // Sebastian

This is much better. It also looks sharper and a bit brighter thumb.gif
    I like the Volvo Rally action rolleyes1.gif
    I whish we had roads like this where I live:cry
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    We don't see much in the way of rally pix and these are nice to see.

I think that last one is pretty cool too :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    likwid wrote:
    Hello.

My name is Sebastian and i live in Sweden. I am new to this forum (been reading for a couple of weeks) and pretty new to photography.
    I'm going to write a fairly elaborate post (as i have seen is the norm in the forum:D).
    I got interested in photography maybe 7-8 years ago when my father was racing cars and I was asked to take some photographs of the race and the cars. He borrowed a Sony Mavica from his work that i got to play with. That is indeed the one with floppy discs rolleyes1.gif. I have also used a Minolta 5000i and an old Minolta 101 I think it was called.
    I was maybe 12-13 at this point and was running around the racetrack with my pockets full of floppydiscs and i loved it. I did that for a year or two and since then i haven't done a lot of photography (couldn't afford it anyway).

But now I have started working and finally decided to get into photography again and on my 20th birthday in January i bought a Sony Alpha 100 with the kit-lens and a Tamron 70-300mm. I bought the Sony because i like the grip much more than both Canon and Nikon and i already have some lenses from my old Minolta. I am happy with the camera but wouldn't mind a little less noise on the higher ISO settings.

I have attached an image i took at the Swedish Rally in february. This is almost the only one i could use. When i took the other pictures it was getting too dark and the noise level is very high but I could salvage a few of them. If there is any interest I could add a few more images.

Thank you for your time and please feel free to ask questions.

// Sebastian

Welcome to Dgrin Sebastian, I like Car Rally shots, and the element of danger with this type of racing too, I imagine there would be quite a few in the conditions you were shooting those shots in :D

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, thanks for sharing.
    ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    I realy like the first shotclap.gif , Rally is one of my favourite sports to shoot. I think next purchase needs to be 70-200F2.8 to get iso down, from reports ive read the Sony is a bit noisy but to me iso800 is quite normal here in the UK
    my last rally shoot http://gsgary.smugmug.com/gallery/2070458/1/106615711
    edited March 3, 2007
    rallymaniac: Yes it was much better. I didn't think of them the first time. That is the best thing with shooting RAW. The next time i redo this shot it will probably be even better because I'm still learning photoshop. :)

ian408: Thank you

Skippy: There are actually A LOT of stupid people watching rally. Sometimes there is people walking on the track while cars are going by at 80 mph. :P
    Driving isn't that dangerous if you know what you are doing. You just have to think about what might be on the road behind the next bend, if you don't know: you don't drift. :)

gsgary: Thank you. I really like your shots, especially the classic cars, beautiful. I really want a lens like that but they are pretty pricey.. During the day there is no problem with the ISO, i usually go with 200. But when it is getting dark and I need to go up to 800 or 1600 the pictures are almost useless. That is the only thing i don't like about the camera. So I need to compensate with a good lens. But I will wait a while before i blow all my savings on lenses. :P

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian