CS2: Image Size & Resolution for on-line Prints

ZmomZmom Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited March 1, 2007 in Finishing School
First of all, I'm just barely getting started with digital imaging...

I'd like to improve the quality of prints submitted to an on-line processor - this question is "just" about image size/resolution and full bleed mini-books.

I've read some of the recommended texts about these topics, but more specific details relate to people printing to their own ink-jet or pros using more complex output options, so I couldn't extrapolate.

Specific case: Kodak mini-books, which are advertised 5X7 and full bleed. I cropped 16bit images in camera raw to a 5X7 aspect ratio, 300 dpi (CS2 on XP SP2, I work in sRGB all the way through (except for image capture) to make my life simpler), converted to 8 bit, saved using Save for Web to create the jpeg, and uploaded the photos. These 5X7s didn't actually bleed to the edge, by about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, sometimes more.

Did I perform the crop at the wrong point in the workflow? Are there any rules of thumb I might have used?

Thank you for your help!

Zmom
Zmom

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    If you have already sized your image to 5x7 inches, and at a pixel setting of 300 pixels per inch, why do you "Save for the WEB"? Save for the WEB is a setting for images destined to be displayed on the web, not an offset printed image.

I would just save these files as jpgs at a quality of 9 or 10, unless the vendor won't accept files that large.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Zmom wrote:
    These 5X7s didn't actually bleed to the edge, by about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, sometimes more.

Did I perform the crop at the wrong point in the workflow? Are there any rules of thumb I might have used?

To make sure that I'm understanding your question - are you saying that when you received the book, the photos didn't actually bleed off the edges? Instead, you had white space showing around the edges of the pages?

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • ZmomZmom Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Kodak minibooks need 1:1.33 image ratio
    meewolfie wrote:
    To make sure that I'm understanding your question - are you saying that when you received the book, the photos didn't actually bleed off the edges? Instead, you had white space showing around the edges of the pages?

Mary

Yes, that's correct! And I finally got an answer back from Kodak - these minibooks are sized 5X7, but are designed to full bleed for "point and shoot digital cameras, which typically have a 1:1.33 ratio" (7X5 is 1:1.4). I think they must have sized my 5X7 image down rather than crop off an edge.

That answers my question one way, but I still had another:

I was seeking hints from the forum for how much losable, or croppable, space I should add to an image when I send it out for print - if I intend to print full bleed at 5X7 inches at a given resolution, should I really save my files as 5.5X7.5 inches at that resolution? In other words, should I add one-quarter of an inch to the image all around? (In this Kodak case, those numbers would be 3X4 -> 3.5X4.5).

Perhaps there are no general rules of thumb and it has to be worked out independently with each photofinisher?

Thanks,

Rebecca
    Zmom
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Zmom wrote:
    Yes, that's correct! And I finally got an answer back from Kodak - these minibooks are sized 5X7, but are designed to full bleed for "point and shoot digital cameras, which typically have a 1:1.33 ratio" (7X5 is 1:1.4). I think they must have sized my 5X7 image down rather than crop off an edge.

That answers my question one way, but I still had another:

I was seeking hints from the forum for how much losable, or croppable, space I should add to an image when I send it out for print - if I intend to print full bleed at 5X7 inches at a given resolution, should I really save my files as 5.5X7.5 inches at that resolution? In other words, should I add one-quarter of an inch to the image all around? (In this Kodak case, those numbers would be 3X4 -> 3.5X4.5).

Perhaps there are no general rules of thumb and it has to be worked out independently with each photofinisher?

Thanks,

Rebecca

I would contact the book publisher/printer and ask their recommendation....I cannot see why they could not use your full sized file at 300dpi (not knowing your camera but my 6mp dslr give approx 8.5 x 11.5 or something like that) and why they could not down size for their purposes.....when i down size my file (up sizing the dpi) I always make sure that I have the constrain proportions ticked, so tha no interpolation takes place......I am using PSCS
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website