Self portrait - touch up

StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
edited March 2, 2007 in Finishing School
Ok so I took a mug shot as I wanted a fairly close up staright on picture to practice my PS skills on.

Would love some feedback on the result.
Apologies in advance for making you stare at MY face! I couldnt find a pretty model at short notice!

132591522-L.jpg
Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com

Comments

• gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    You've lost all the skin texture in his face.

Maybe add this step after you smooth the skin. Copy the original layer to the top. Desaturate the copied layer then apply a High Pass Filter, the amount will vary move the slider and watch the image until you can see the "pore detail"

Set layer blending mode to soft light. Apply a layer mask, and Invert it. Then paint the texture back over the face.

Hope this helps.

Lex
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    I think you did a fine job. Maybe you polished/smoothed the skin more than I might have for a males portrait, but that's certainly a matter of taste. Colors seem good and image seems sharp at this small size viewed on the web.

How did you dial back the redness of your cheeks?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    If someone came to me and asked me to touch up this photo of them in 5 minutes.....this is what I would come up with. No need for layers and blending etc etc. Keep it simple.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    You've lost all the skin texture in his face.

Maybe add this step after you smooth the skin. Copy the original layer to the top. Desaturate the copied layer then apply a High Pass Filter, the amount will vary move the slider and watch the image until you can see the "pore detail"

Set layer blending mode to soft light. Apply a layer mask, and Invert it. Then paint the texture back over the face.

Hope this helps.

Lex
    Thanks Gmonkeh I will give that a go.

cheers pathfinder, I actually did that before I started on the fine stuff by using the dgrin skin tutorial.

That looks good carnalsigh im interested in what you did though because I do think you improved the skin although you do seem to have pushed the right side of the forehead a bit bright/white.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • mamamiamamamia Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    Ok so I took a mug shot as I wanted a fairly close up staright on picture to practice my PS skills on.

Would love some feedback on the result.
    Apologies in advance for making you stare at MY face! I couldnt find a pretty model at short notice!

clap.gif :ivar SOFTEN