The 13th Step.

CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited February 28, 2007 in People
I feel like this is my strongest work to date
Basically, everyone I know is turning into an alcoholic and it's pathetic to me.
So I wanted / needed to vent.
And I finally did.
This is only PART of an ongoing series.

I must say that it was hard to pick between the 30 photos of the finished set.
But here it is.

47rx8gh.jpg

2r4kgsy.jpg

4h1gfx4.jpg

33bonlz.jpg

-Cody Weber Photography.
There Was This Big Bang Once, But The Clergyman Doesn't Agree.
Cody Weber Photography.
Gallery -- Journal

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    The photography is excellent, but I don't get the blood...headscratch.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Cody

These feel very staged. I like the school bus setting the best, but the poses are weird for me. I know you like fake blood, and I'm trying to interpret it outside of your typical 'shock value' use of it. I know quite a bit about the disease of alcoholism, and it's really not as much about alcohol as most think. In that regard, the blood symbolizes an addicts hatred of themselves, their typical feelings of hyper-vulnerability (walking around with no skin is a phrase I've heard before in AA meetings I've attended) and numbness.

That said, I think downplaying the Jack Daniels, and delving deeper into the psychological turmoil of an addict (whether the substance be alcohol, heroin, food, sex or charge cards) and their constant and cyclic need for escape would be a logical next step for you.

I think your photography skills are excellent, and this set is no exception.

keep up the good work

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Seems kinda teen-angsty-like.
    That said, your exposure is bang on. I imagine you could do something really cool in that setting, but this work is just... been there done that, seen it, moving on, you know?
  • CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Ugh...that phrase puts the worst taste in my mouth.
    I'm not just doing what I do to be in some sort of trend.
    Or some apparent life-mode.
    =S
    Cody Weber Photography.
    Gallery -- Journal
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    CodyWeber wrote:
    Ugh...that phrase puts the worst taste in my mouth.
    I'm not just doing what I do to be in some sort of trend.
    Or some apparent life-mode.
    =S

I assume you're referring to Owen, and while I'm sure he doesn't speak for everyone...if your images are coming off that way, and you don't want them to, i'd imagine that would be an important critique for you.

I also gave you some very thoughtful and relevant feedback and got no response. (not the first time)

I am starting to think you don't really want critique or feedback on the content, you just want to stir the pot. and since technically your images are quite good and you have found your distinct style, there's no point in critiquing anything but the content/feel/statement.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Oh no, I am completely cool with critiquing.
    In fact, because of all the feedback I've had,. I'm reshooting it without the blood. Just so the original outset could be more relevant.
    But just saying I'm a typical teen expressing typical emotions is...well...bullshit.
    I was actually just about to get to your comment.

I love critique. It helps a lot in the long run.
    Cody Weber Photography.
    Gallery -- Journal
  • DigiEyEDigiEyE Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Hey Cody,

I do sort of agree that some of the images look a little staged but I love the fact that you used photography as a way to express your anguish, it gives the images more depth when you know there is a story and raw emotion behind them. Can I ask you what the blood ment to you?
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    CodyWeber wrote:
    Oh no, I am completely cool with critiquing.
    In fact, because of all the feedback I've had,. I'm reshooting it without the blood. Just so the original outset could be more relevant.
    But just saying I'm a typical teen expressing typical emotions is...well...bullshit.
    I was actually just about to get to your comment.

I love critique. It helps a lot in the long run.
    I got served this same advice when I was 19 and really getting into B&W work. It was from an older photographer that was (gulp) my current age. I'm a little shocked that I'm about to give it to you, but life is circular that way...
    Don't think for a minute that what your doing right now is original - originality will hit you like a brick when your not looking for it. Recognizing, and nurturing it is more important then trying to force it into a frame.
    No one is saying that your stuff isn't personal, or won't lead to a style that is uniquely your own - but this spread and some of the mud spread were very shock angle angst photography. This one suffered because it is very hard to relate to such a staged scene if it is not satire. Your work on what Christianity means to you slid into that satire / parody mold very very well and cause reflections on the hypocrisy that is forth right in your mind when thinking about the subject. This is an example of when your shooting style and subject just clicked.

Just like a carpenter will use a different tool for a different job, you might want to address your subject here in a different style - mix it up a bit. I know it's definitely NOT what you want to hear - but while your technical skill is extremely polished, your style is becoming very predictable.

As I've said, I think you have a lot of talent, but you need to branch out to really exercise it - try pushing YOUR limits instead of the viewers and see what you get. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you challenge yourself in a different direction.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't be wasting my time writing this up if I didn't want to see you succeed. Feel free to disagree with me - it's YOUR art - but just know that I'm being blunt, not malicious.
    --Kres
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I know quite a bit about the disease of alcoholism, and it's really not as much about alcohol as most think.

Very true. In that regard, this series just seems too obvious with the bottle and the classic run down look. The truth is the majority of alcoholics do not drink whiskey straight out of a bottle and they don't look this messed up. It's more often a secretive, long, slow process that gradually becomes more of a problem over time.

I personally think this project would be more realistic and compelling if you left the whiskey bottle and blood out of it. Yup-- a story about alcoholism with no alcohol-- because face it-- you're tired of seeing your friends drink too much not because the booze-- but because of how it changes them, right? So try to capture that change with your camera and I think your photos would have more impact without being so obvious.

Just my two-cents of course. I've never tried a photo story like this but I did just complete a project on a little indian village where alcoholism is a huge problem. Oddly-- I didn't see ANYONE actually drinking-- but I did see lots of run-down trailers and poverty and trash and closed curtains and people flitting from trailer to trailer trying to remain unnoticed. The only reason I knew alcohol was a problem was by talking to tribal elders.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    I like your ideas...and like what has been said in the other posts above....an alcoholic will hide it.....ever know anyone who went thru a bottle of Scope or Listerine a week....used to work with a truck driver that drank Listerine like it was water at work, then switched to Scope as it did not have as much of an alcohol odor to it....peppermint was his favorite flavor...also that size of bottle of Jack is very expensive...most prefer the little bottle or soemthing like ANNIE GREEN SPRINGS, BOONE FARM, sTRAWBERRY HILL.....also you might want to remove the lables so if you get lucky and some one should see your work from a winery distillery or bottling company they don't harrass you over the message your sending......if those kids had been sitting on the ground around a bunch of old tires with a couple of bottles in their hands and dirty then the message might be better....or in a run down part of town sittting in the doorway of a closed store with some cardboard for "protection from the elements"...or if you want to go another route as the kid with a littel money (not destitute ,,,but not rich.....get some going with designer clothes and a bottle hidden in the back pocket or purse or in a coat pocket.......

just wanted to toss some ideas your way.......

Really like your work.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website