#85 - Can't Change (4)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited March 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
So when I submitted my entry for this challenge (a first for me!) I was pretty darned positive about which one of my photos I wanted to use. But I have been getting more and more feedback over the week from friends about the final four I picked and now I'm not so sure.

But I'd like to hear any thoughts from other photographers! :D

I (I obviously entered this one)
132380483-L.jpg

II I've been getting lots of votes that I should have used this one, though. :dunno
132378602-M.jpg

III
132379375-M.jpg

IV
132375149-L.jpg

Comments

• amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    yes, definitely #2 like your friends say...at first your second picture wouldn't load on my comp and I was going to pick #4. I liked that you could tell she was in a bathroom, liked the composition a little better although the cramped feeling of the other 2 I saw (your #s 1 and 3) also appealed to me. But eventually when your #2 pic loaded, there was no question...it's my favorite. I like the touch of the skull and crossbone curtains(?), the floor, the way her discarded 'equipment' lies there, the toilet in the pic, the contrast, the angle of the shot. There's a lot more going on and keeping me interested:)

...but that's just my opinion
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    I agree that #2 is really powerful. I do wish the needle was in focus, I am afraid it gets lost in the floor if you don't have the context.

I would disagree and add that I think you could also crop out the shower curtain - doesn't add much in my mind.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    WOW... #2 makes a huge statement. Great capture. I don't mind at all that the needle is oof. I see it and know it's there but am drawn right past it to the the bigger problem and finnally to the one who can't change. The skull in the background finishes the image.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    ooooh a bandwagon biggrinbounce2.gif

I love the second one. When I saw your entry I said "oh, that's kinda cool", when I saw that I said "that's f'in cool" =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    the original
    I like the original the best... It’s more personal because I can see the face, clear picture of the needle; I like the elements in the image, and the belt works better on the arm than on the floor… I like number 3 also... Keep in mind opinions are great but ultimately you have to go with your gut.

Winston
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Thanks for all of your input, guys! I have been hearing an even split between #2 being both good and bad for the theme, but I am also glad to support from VX on the importance of gut feeling.

iloveyou.gif
  • MartinoMartino Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Strong idea. I like the comp of #2 as the bathroom brings out the solitude, shame and grittiness of the problem. It makes me want to walk into the frame and help her change.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    #2 is great, but it only works after having the scene been established by #1.

#4 nails the theme and establishes the desperation well enough, but there's a certain degree of empathy lost through not being able to see her face. If you're good with that, it fits the challenge and your theme pretty well. Otherwise, stick to your guns and go with #1.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • DucCatDucCat Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    I really like these shots alot... I have worked with drug addicts alot in my days.. I am just curious if this was a staged photo session or a real capture? Either way it is great, and the black and white is exceptional.
    Find what you love... Love what you find
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    The subject in all these is over-the-top great. Very powerful.

The first shot is most powerful for me because it's most personal. I also think the composition works best.

Maybe add some tri-x look grain? Maybe quite a lot? I have some dim memory of an old Life magazine with an article about the day-to-day lives of addicts in "needle park" wherever that was. That's the look...
    If not now, when?