Options

Firefox question

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited March 2, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
So I have firefox and the latest update all loaded only during a recent update FF tried to access the web for something (according to my firewall) and I denied it because I didn't understand what it was trying to do and my firewall was listing it as a 'medium risk' (most of the time these situations are 'low risk'). Now FF won't work at all. It opens, I can see the details, it just won't access the web, even checking for updates.

I'm on a PC so I tried deleting FF using the add/remove programs, then re-installing it, and same thing happens. What's odd though-- is even when I delete FF and reinstall it, it still 'remembers' my bookmarks so obviously it's not fully deleting.

Any ideas? Even an idea on how to fully delete FF so it installs a fresh version?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Can't help you (Sorry) but there are those that can/will.

I wanted to say, Sorry for your troubles today! And, I loved how you ended your blog post ;)
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Can't help you (Sorry) but there are those that can/will.

I wanted to say, Sorry for your troubles today! And, I loved how you ended your blog post ;)

Yeah, well, sometimes the truth hurts (the 'competition' that is). I'd use SM (which is a million times more reliable) but I like to have a backup plan for those rare times SM is down too. Needless to say, my backup plan maybe spends too much time at places like Burning Man. :D

On the FF issue-- guess this means Seamonkey is the way to go (heh)-- actually, I love FF too, but for different reasons.

• Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    You might want to see if your firewall is still blocking firefox somehow. It may have blocked something general and now won't let you do normal browsing stuff.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    quark wrote:
    You might want to see if your firewall is still blocking firefox somehow. It may have blocked something general and now won't let you do normal browsing stuff.

Good idea-- I'll check that.

• Options
    ratcheerratcheer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    You are fully deleting and reinstalling FF. FF wisely keeps your data and settings in a separate location from the software, precisely so that you can reinstall or upgrade the software without having to go back in and reestablish all your carefully crafted preferences and bookmarks. What a pain it would be to have to lose all that just because of a simple upgrade!

Your firewall almost certainly has a program control section. Find it and find FF in it and simply re-grant it permission to access the desired zones.

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    ratcheer wrote:
    You are fully deleting and reinstalling FF. FF wisely keeps your data and settings in a separate location from the software, precisely so that you can reinstall or upgrade the software without having to go back in and reestablish all your carefully crafted preferences and bookmarks. What a pain it would be to have to lose all that just because of a simple upgrade!

Your firewall almost certainly has a program control section. Find it and find FF in it and simply re-grant it permission to access the desired zones.

Tim

Thanks Tim! Still been too busy with photo work to get to this-- but hopefully tonight or this weekend.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    ratcheer wrote:

Tim

That did it! Thanks Tim! thumb.gif