Options

What am I doing wrong? PhotoShop Question.

salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited November 8, 2007 in Finishing School
Hello all you patient people. PhotoShop NOOB here. I'm having a problem with PhotoShop CS2. I'm probably doing somthing stupid but I can't figure out what.

When I'm finished fooling around in PhotoShop with a photo and save it as a jpeg it doesn't look the same as it did in PhotoShop if I open it in some other program (or post it to DGrin, which is why I'm asking this question). If I reopen the jpeg in PhotoShop it continues to look the way I want it to but not in other programs. It seems to lose some saturation and in the case of the attached image took on a bit of a blue cast. The image attached to this question is how it looks in PhotoShop which is how I want it to look when I post it on DGrin.

(To get it to look the way I wanted it to in this post I had to do a screen capture of my monitor (Control - Print Screen) and paste the result into Microsoft Photo Editor and use that to crop out the unwanted rest of my screen capture.)

The second post is how it looks if I post the jpeg created in PhotoShop CS2.

Dang, this is frustrating. Anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong?
Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    jpeg:
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Just a guess, but do you use the same color space throughout your workflow? For example, I capture my images in camera using sRGB, I edit them in sRGB, I save and print them in sRGB, and the web displays them in sRGB.

If I captured in AdobeRGB, edited in cmyk, and saved as LAB, who knows how it would look on the web? So start at your camera and work your way to the end and make sure your color space selections are all consistent unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    I agree with Shay, it sounds like you are changing the ICC color space tags somewhere in your workflow.

Are you uploading files to smugmug tagges with Adobe RGB perhaps? That will create a desaturated image compared to an sRGB image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 1, 2007
    salazar-

a different way, same end-

I work in adobe rgb because of wanting to be able to print at any time-

when I'm uploading to the web, I have previously saved my pic in tiff and adobe rgb-

I go to edit>convert to profile and convert to srgb then save to web-

I save that as a jpeg that is in srgb and use that to upload-

when I close out my tiff pic on ps, I ignore the save because I already have the photo as I want it-
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2007
    Is there something I'm missing?
    Hello again all. The following image is a screen capture. I'm showing the same file in two different windows. One is Adobe Bridge, the other is Microsoft Photo Editor. These are the same image, without any post processing open in two different programs. If I post this image as it is to DGrin ( http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=55790 )it will look like it does in MS Photo Editor. Why does Bridge (and PS CS2 for that matter) show it differently? Any ideas? I'm a total PS NOOB here. I may have some simple setting in PS wrong that is causing this but I don't know what. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 7, 2007
    Is Microsoft Photo Editor color space aware? Does it read the ICC tag for color space? The second image is significantly bluer than the image in Bridge which IS color space aware.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Your CS2 is set to a wider gamut colorspace like Adobe RGB. Check your 'Color Settings' under the 'Edit' menu of your CS2 and see what is set for your work space.

When you upload your images, SmugMug automatically converts them to the sRGB colorspace which is the preferred space for the web and their print labs.

Below, I saved your undersaturated image, converted the profile to Adobe RGB and then uploaded it my account where SmugMug automatically converted it to sRGB.
    134480145-O.jpg
    The saturation hasn't been affected mwink.gif

In your case, the images you post are attachments. Since your images look undersaturated, I'm betting that there's no colorspace conversion taking place once they're uploaded in that manner.

If you want to keep CS2 in the colorspace it's set to, then you're going to want to CONVERT the profile (under the Edit menu) to sRGB. You can then do the 'Save As' command to save it as a copy which you can use for attachments.

HTH,
    Nikos

Edit: messed up on my description
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    salazar-

a different way, same end-

I work in adobe rgb because of wanting to be able to print at any time-

when I'm uploading to the web, I have previously saved my pic in tiff and adobe rgb-

I go to edit>convert to profile and convert to srgb then save to web-

I save that as a jpeg that is in srgb and use that to upload-

when I close out my tiff pic on ps, I ignore the save because I already have the photo as I want it-

I also do a Edit>Convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB, but rather than save to web (I think that drops EXIF data), I simply do a Save As and change file extension to jpeg from the PSD default. I also change from 16 to 8 bit before the convert, since that seems to be faster than doing it in one step
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    john_pobrejohn_pobre Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2007
    sRGB Support in Windows Photo Editor
    Windows Photo Editor will recognize sRGB if the "Color Representation" is set to sRGB in the file's "Colr Representation" Attribute. To check, in Windows Explorer, find the file and right click on the file's "Properties". Look at the "Summary" tab and click "Advanced" and then "Color Representation".
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    This is actually a reply to a newer thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75646 on the same subject but I'm putting it here as well so those who tried to solve my problem the first time will know the problem is now fixed. More to the point, I'm putting it here to say thank you all for helping. Here's the post:

Well, well, well... First of all I'd like to thank everyone who helped, who made suggestions and pointed me toward what to check and what to read, both in this thread and in my last attempt at sorting this out. Especially Andrew Rodney (arodney), who helped me realise that this was actually a calibration issue and pointed me off onto a direction that ultimately helped me solve this dilemma. And Harvey Levine who reinforced Andrew's concepts. And 01af who suggested I try deleting the monitor profiles in my Display Properties. And to the others who tried to help the last time I tried to sort this out, Shay, Pathfinder, gefillmore, nikos, jdryan3, john_pobre.

Man, that was a lot of reading. And I have a lot more to do yet. And B&H is a little happier as they were able to sell me an Eye-One Display 2 which is now in transit.

My problem is now fixed. I can now view an image in Photoshop, edit it as necessary, save it, and then post it to the web have it look the way it did in Photoshop. That is not something I was able to do up to now. And that was aggravating. More than aggravating. Can you imagine having a full CS2 or 3 suite and not have any confidence in what you create with it? I ended up using Picasa2 all summer as Photoshop was useless to me.
    I'm not entirely sure how I fixed the problem as I tried so many things along the way... Perhaps It was ultimately using Adobe Gama to eyeball a monitor profile that will have to do till the Eye-One arrives. Or perhaps it was deleting the monitor profiles (which magically reappeared??). Perhaps they were corrupted? I'm not sure but it works now so I can use Photoshop and get results I'm happy with that look goo on the web.
    Whew. Thanks again everyone! This dgrin community is a fabulous resource. I, for one, am very happy you're all out there. Peace.