My first "shoot" - Family Portraits

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited March 1, 2007 in People
Well...dgrinners....I've taken a lot of pics of landscapes and concerts. This last weekend I took pictures of my cousin's kids. I guess this would be my first photoshoot. I don't really have too many people subjects. I think I need to start asking people....like friends/coworkers/family.

It was an overcast day...on the verge of rain...which works great...no harsh light. Photographing kids is like sports photography, but you have to always be running around. I really didn't know what poses I should do, so I suggested we just play with them and see what we came up with. We threw some balls around...played on the swing and slide and ran around. They are hard to keep still, but we did get some family shots and with some photoshop magic...I spliced a couple together to make sure everyone had a good face :rofl .

I think next time I have to be more aware of the compositions. I was snapping so fast trying to not miss anything, I cropped some tops of heads off and feet. Or didnt have them in the frame very well. O well..things to think about next time.

I used my Canon 50mm 1.8 and my Tamron 24-135mm 3.5-5.6.

I'd love some comments....here are the best...I shot about a little over 100 pictures.

1. - F2.8, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/200
131865954-L.jpg

2. - F4.0, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/200
131869670-L.jpg

3. - F3.5, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/160
131868714-L.jpg

4. - F3.5, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/200
131871532-L.jpg

5. - F6.3, ISO 100, 50mm, -4/3 EV, 1/200 - post processing in photoshop.
131897168-L.jpg

6. F8.0, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/200
131874225-L.jpg

7. - F5.6, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/125
131860999-L.jpg

8. - F3.2, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/125, Sepia conversion using Digital Photo Prossional...stock with my XT
132662587-L.jpg

9. - I think this is the first pan shot I've gotten...EVER. F3.2, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/30
131865908-L.jpg

10. - F5.6, ISO 400, 99mm, 1/250
131869765-L.jpg

11. - F5.6, ISO 100, 99mm, 1/100
132429396-L.jpg

12. - This was a splice of two photos. F5.6 , ISO 200, 57mm, 1/160 and 1/200
131887093-L.jpg

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Nice job! I really like the way you captured a lot of emotion on the kids' faces. clap.gifclap.gif
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Agreed. Great job! You got some excellent shots. You should be proud of those.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Nice Series. . . Thank you.
    Please number your photos when you post.

I love this series! It has inspired me. I bought my first DSLR with the goal of taking "better" family photos and anything else (landscape, sports, etc.) would be a bonus.

1. Nice. A lower angle on this photo would be much better. You stand above this child and you need to be on their level to produce a more dramatic image.

2. This image is your winner and superb and professional. Have you tried lightening it a bit? Mom owes you on this one. If you gave it to her (free) it's definately a favor owed. I'm giving you a detail critique and in return I'd like to know the data on this image, i.e. ISO, Lens, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc. I'm assuming the 50mm 1.8 very close but if it's the Tamron I'm impressed. Please reply.

3. I'm sure you know but you but you needed to be three steps to the right and forward to get more face. Superb background. Photogs dream of this background.

4. Fantastic photo. One small nitpik. The photo draws me to the face of the child and than I follow to the right down the arms. Unfortunately, my eye stops on the mole or small piece of dirt on the childs hand. A simple photoshop adjustment could eliminate this and bring my focus back into the picture. Just a small nitpik of course, great shot.

5. Almost perfection. I would PS out the tiny mole on the right cheek. Anyone who gives you the "Selective color doesn't work" speech in this case is just wrong. My eyes bounce between flower and face. The only thing that halts me is the mole. Perfect photo and I'm jealous.

6. Mom will love this photo. Terrible crop. Make it a landscape and get rid of all the the bland/negative space on the bottom.

7. I'm sorry but this photo does nothing for me (in comparsion to others). I would recompse with the family inside the rungs with Mom, Dad, and Baby. I would have Mom and Dad's head touch and have little guy and baby next to each other and zoom in and frame that way. You MUST eliminate that white/gray plume growing out of Dad's head. This is a non-post.

8. Nice. Crop out the top and bars on the right and I upgrade it to very nice. Try it. Is this a Sepia conversion? Again, some EXIF data would be nice on this one. If Sepia, please provide conversion details.

10. See comments on #2. Have you tried lightening it a bit? I'd like data on lens, ISO, aperature, shutter speed, etc.

11. Much more powerful as a portait. If you are out of room, you must be kicking yourself that you didn't rotate the camera to portrait angle. Even so, I would still crop this as a protrait, cutting hands and all.

Nice work! I wish my family sessions went this well. A bow to you!

David
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    crockett wrote:
    Please number your photos when you post.

I love this series! It has inspired me. I bought my first DSLR with the goal of taking "better" family photos and anything else (landscape, sports, etc.) would be a bonus.

1. Nice. A lower angle on this photo would be much better. You stand above this child and you need to be on their level to produce a more dramatic image.

2. This image is your winner and superb and professional. Have you tried lightening it a bit? Mom owes you on this one. If you gave it to her (free) it's definately a favor owed. I'm giving you a detail critique and in return I'd like to know the data on this image, i.e. ISO, Lens, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc. I'm assuming the 50mm 1.8 very close but if it's the Tamron I'm impressed. Please reply.

3. I'm sure you know but you but you needed to be three steps to the right and forward to get more face. Superb background. Photogs dream of this background.

4. Fantastic photo. One small nitpik. The photo draws me to the face of the child and than I follow to the right down the arms. Unfortunately, my eye stops on the mole or small piece of dirt on the childs hand. A simple photoshop adjustment could eliminate this and bring my focus back into the picture. Just a small nitpik of course, great shot.

5. Almost perfection. I would PS out the tiny mole on the right cheek. Anyone who gives you the "Selective color doesn't work" speech in this case is just wrong. My eyes bounce between flower and face. The only thing that halts me is the mole. Perfect photo and I'm jealous.

6. Mom will love this photo. Terrible crop. Make it a landscape and get rid of all the the bland/negative space on the bottom.

7. I'm sorry but this photo does nothing for me (in comparsion to others). I would recompse with the family inside the rungs with Mom, Dad, and Baby. I would have Mom and Dad's head touch and have little guy and baby next to each other and zoom in and frame that way. You MUST eliminate that white/gray plume growing out of Dad's head. This is a non-post.

8. Nice. Crop out the top and bars on the right and I upgrade it to very nice. Try it. Is this a Sepia conversion? Again, some EXIF data would be nice on this one. If Sepia, please provide conversion details.

10. See comments on #2. Have you tried lightening it a bit? I'd like data on lens, ISO, aperature, shutter speed, etc.

11. Much more powerful as a portait. If you are out of room, you must be kicking yourself that you didn't rotate the camera to portrait angle. Even so, I would still crop this as a protrait, cutting hands and all.

Nice work! I wish my family sessions went this well. A bow to you!

David

David...thanks for the great critque. I updated the pictures with the EXIF info. Ever since smugmug updated to the new and improved interface...I have not found how to quick link the EXIF file....so I just copied the pop up box. Most of these I had some fill flash from my 580EX

1. Advice well taken. She was swinging...so I also trying not to get hit! rolleyes1.gif

2. Thanks..yeah..this was the Canon.

3. Here is another one I took. It's a bit closer...too close I think.

13. - F5.6, ISO 100, 50mm, 1/60
    131867752-L.jpg

4. Thank you! Dirt!!!! I'll clone that guy out! Throw the ball around...of course it was rolling around in the muddy grass. The grass which I was struggling not to slide in.

5. Excellent point. Yeah..I was a bit scared to do selective color on this one. Only because the flower was so far away from her face. I'll clone that little beauty mark out.

6. Great thinking. I was struggling to catch her tossing Sam up in the air...plus with the 50 prime... I didn't have an option of zooming in and out...only moving.

7. I see your points. Mom liked this photo because they all were looking at the camera. It bugged me that I cropped the feet off. The pose is a little weird...but watcha going to do with 2 kids running around :ivar

8. Thanks...I got lucky on this shot...yelling BJ's name and making him turn. Tighter crop for sure.

9. no likey my pan? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

10. I think I need a monitor calibration tool.

11. No hands??? Interesting....I'll try it.

I'm in need of some sleep and will fix these up tomorrow night if I get the chance. Thanks so much for the detailed critque. 1st post>!>!??!?!? Welcome to dgrin?!!!

Goodnight!