Options

what do you do when the bride tells you...

dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited March 8, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
she's unhappy with the way she looks in all of the pictures because she looks fat in them. and she's mad at you as the photographer for "making her look bad" however in reality, she's like 5'6 and about 200lbs; finding a flattering angle is, well, difficult...

serious question.
- Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
- my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
- follow me on twitter: @danginphoto

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    she's unhappy with the way she looks in all of the pictures because she looks fat in them. and she's mad at you as the photographer for "making her look bad" however in reality, she's like 5'6 and about 200lbs; finding a flattering angle is, well, difficult...

serious question.
    I'd tell her to ring the Lifeline because apparently they care. Sorry but i refuse to even hold a conversation with people this stupid.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    dangin wrote:

serious question.
    Hi.
    5'6 and about 200lbs means to me that she is short and fat.
    I use meters and kilograms.
    That is not very important, I could make the conversion but ...ne_nau.gif

Tell her you are sorry she is fat and that she should be thinner.
    Tell her that being fat, is a World problem and she is like many Americans are (I mean rather fat).

Tell her the population of many countries in the World is going fatter because they don't eat correctly and eat too many sweets, humbergers, fat and junk foot. I call this food "plastic food".

Ask her what has she been eating latelly.

Tell her gently to have a look at herself in the mirror.

Tell her to go to the a doctor ( a nutricionist ) explaining him that she want to become more elegante, slim, nice.

Tell her that if she gets thinner it's Healthier and she will feel better than she does.

Ask her if she makes exercise. Does she walks 3,5 kms everyday or does she seat and watch TV all the time ?

Tell her that in shops it's easier to get clothes, because normal sizes clothes are easier to find and are more available.

Ask her if her fiancé loves her. iloveyou.gif

She will anwser yes.
    Then tell her: Well that's the more important thing.
    By now !
    Tell her to ask her fiancé if he would like her to be thin or have a correct weight.

Ask her if she feel confortable in her own skin.
    If she does, it's OK.

Try to make a little Photoshop to make her thinner (!!)

Try to get the good angle of the girl with her beautifull skin.
    I'm sure she has beautifull skin, like most of the fat people...

You do have tried the good angles ... I suggest from top to bottom ... Plongée type :D

(I have never been fat !!! myself)

Cheers. I hope you can convince her that the photos you shot are the best you can do now and promise her that you will get more pictures of her when she is thinner and nicier !

Tell her she is very nice the way she is. Lie. Doesn't matter. Make her feel happy.

Take care and ... succeed !!thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    headscratch.gif Seriously there isn't much you can do or could do. I've come across this on occassion. Did you do any tight shots? Maybe you could re-configure some of the images so that they were tighter.
    Probably all you can do is apologize and suggest that she take a couple of weeks and then get back to you. That is once the "I'm a bride and I'm so pretty" syndrome eases.
    Hopefully you got all of your money up front or before you photographed the wedding. Of course, this is only ONE reason that we insist on up-front payment. BSeek7.gif
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Aaron Johnson dealt with this scenario in his (excellent) What the Duck comic #64.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    dangin wrote:

serious question.

Remind her that as the saying goes, "The camera adds 10 lbs" and when she's already a short pudge, well......

There's no real way to deal with this without insulting her at least that comes to mind right away.

I hope you got your money ahead of time cause I have a feeling she isn't gonna be happy no matter what you say to her.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    fortunately, i did get paid in full before their wedding. i'm just at a loss for words. there's nothing i could come up with that would address the issue without sounding crass or worse, indifferent.

it doesn't help when her husband is like 6'4" and not rotund.
    - Dan

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    dangin wrote:

serious question.

Ok, before all the fat girl haters get their soapbox bronzed, wanted to offer the devil's advocate here. This is a toughie. Did the bride ask you beforehand if you could "flatter" her with your skills? Was she upfront about her self-consciousness, and made her choice on photographers based on who could photograph her best? If so, I think she has a right to be miffed, although from your post I doubt this is the case.

If you shot her from a low angle on a good number of important shots, and/or with a <50mm focal length, you could have done her more justice.

I've personally seen wedding photogs shooting from ground level a heavier bride on a staircase, and that's (to me) ignorance bordering on cruelty.

A photographer's number one job that day is to make the bride look as gorgeous AS SHE CAN BE. This includes proper shooting technique to minimize flaws, and PP to take that a step further if possible and/or requested. If her nose was large and beak-ish, would you do a backlit profile? Think not.

Granted, you are not expected to make a size 16 look like a size 4. Setting expectations in this area is key.

It'd help to see some of the shots, and give a better evaluation of how strong her argument is.

Curious what the Shay-meister has to say on this topic.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    I agree with Urbanaries that it would be helpful and a good teaching tool for the forum, to be able to view some of the photos and critique with the intent of offering solutions! People are all different sizes, and I've seen some beautiful portraits of heavy people, to just criticize her weight, without viewing the shots she is complaining about, is pointless. I would be interested in what her complaints are about specific shots, in order to avoid making those mistakes myself. Of course, she could be just overly sensitive (and in denial) about her weight and the shots are just fine!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Ok, before all the fat girl haters get their soapbox bronzed, wanted to offer the devil's advocate here. This is a toughie. Did the bride ask you beforehand if you could "flatter" her with your skills? Was she upfront about her self-consciousness, and made her choice on photographers based on who could photograph her best? If so, I think she has a right to be miffed, although from your post I doubt this is the case.

If you shot her from a low angle on a good number of important shots, and/or with a <50mm focal length, you could have done her more justice.

I've personally seen wedding photogs shooting from ground level a heavier bride on a staircase, and that's (to me) ignorance bordering on cruelty.

A photographer's number one job that day is to make the bride look as gorgeous AS SHE CAN BE. This includes proper shooting technique to minimize flaws, and PP to take that a step further if possible and/or requested. If her nose was large and beak-ish, would you do a backlit profile? Think not.

Granted, you are not expected to make a size 16 look like a size 4. Setting expectations in this area is key.

It'd help to see some of the shots, and give a better evaluation of how strong her argument is.

Curious what the Shay-meister has to say on this topic.
    she made no requests beforehand regarding trying to get a more flattering view of her. i tried my best to zip around and get different images of varying perspectives of her. i.e. partially covered by the groom so that just half of her is showing, but smiling.)

it got tough at the reception when she says "get a closeup with me and ___"

oye.
    - Dan

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 1, 2007
    dangin wrote:

serious question.

Walk her over to a mirror. Then hold up the pictures and ask what she would have changed.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    dangin wrote:

serious question.

Ask her to be more specific. I shoot a lot of events of the same people and they get comfortable with me, so they ask to see the shot immediatly and tend to give me a lot of instant feedback. I have learned certain girls don't like their arms in the frame if its coming from the side, they think their arm looks fat. Certain girls say, "boobs up", because they don't like their waist, etc. Others are worried about double chins, etc.

Does she have a recent picture of herself that she does like? If she can then point out what specifically about the picture she likes then it may help you understand more specifically what she likes and doesn't like and maybe decide if you can crop, photoshop, etc a few pics to satisfy her.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Walk her over to a mirror. Then hold up the pictures and ask what she would have changed.

eek. i think that question would invoke an onslaught that my martial arts training would not be able to defend against.
    - Dan

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Holy smokes that is rude. Its also ignorant about what portrait photography is all about. I don't do many portraits or weddings and I'm not particularly good at them. But I do know enough to know that portrait photography (and I'm lumping the wedding in here) is NOT about accuracy. It is about being flattering.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 1, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Holy smokes that is rude. Its also ignorant about what portrait photography is all about. I don't do many portraits or weddings and I'm not particularly good at them. But I do know enough to know that portrait photography (and I'm lumping the wedding in here) is NOT about accuracy. It is about being flattering.

Aside from a fun house mirror a short fat girl is always a short fat girl. It's her delusion. The sooner it's broken down for her the better. You'd actually be doing her a favor.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    I received this Private Mail from one of us which I will not identify.
    From this thread.
    Interesting ! ne_nau.gif
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antonio Correia
    Hi.
    5'6 and about 200lbs means to me that she is short and fat.
    I use meters and kilograms.
    That is not very important, I could make the conversion but ...ne_nau.gif

Tell her you are sorry she is fat and that she should be thinner.
    Tell her that being fat, is a World problem and she is like many Americans are (I mean rather fat).

Alright. I'm so sick of your pig headed boorish BS hiding behind the notion of your poor grasp of the English language. You're critiques of not only this question but of photographs on dgrin in general are 99% of the time completely useless and totally insulting. Top that off with your rather meager skills as a photographer, especially considering you've been pursuing it for over 30 years, and I'd say you really ought to find a new hobby. Unless of course you're like many Portuguese (I mean mentally retarded). If that's the case keep up the good work. You're shining beacon of hope in a sea of despair.

My anwser was: Touché !!! rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    I'm so sick of your pig headed boorish BS hiding behind the notion of your poor grasp of the English language.
    I would have been impressed if he had written you in Portugese. rolleyes1.gif
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Everyone here that is in perfect shape, please raise your hand. Seriouslly folks, dangin is here asking for help on a serious topic. Half of this thread is making broad generalizations of people and cutting tasteless jokes. Now, I'm not offended by any of this, but I think dangin deserves some courtesy. Let's give back the thread to constructive criticism.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    I think we need some example photos if there is to be any constructive advice to give.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    Everyone here that is in perfect shape, please raise your hand. Seriouslly folks, dangin is here asking for help on a serious topic. Half of this thread is making broad generalizations of people and cutting tasteless jokes. Now, I'm not offended by any of this, but I think dangin deserves some courtesy. Let's give back the thread to constructive criticism.

thank you.

i'm off to a shoot now but i'll post an image or two this evening when i finally get home.
    - Dan

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    dangin wrote:

serious question.
    Misplaced anger. She should take her anger and channel it where it will do the most good...exercize and diet. People need to learn you don't get anywhere shooting the messanger. A photographer can only do so much. We don't use magic fantasy recorders. They are called cameras for a reason.

And my guess is she wasn't very comfortable and didn't emote. Even the ugliest person in the world can look interesting and compelling if they have real emotion beaming from their face. But even the most beautiful woman on the planet can look horrible if they have a stone expression, don't interact with anyone, and try to hide from the camera.

It's not the photographers fault you look bad sweetheart, you did that all on your own, fat or not.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Terrence wrote:

I am fat. I know this. I don't think I look too good in photos. But I do know I look a whole lot worse if I try to hide from the camera, become self conscious, or try other things other than just have good time and let the cameras catch what they may of me an my personality.

There is a problem with fantasy brides that don't have a grasp on reality, and for them, there truly is no way to satisfy them. And it's not even worth it to try and entertain it. Stop it at the source if you can, if not, then deal with the inevitable disapointment, and move on. There is nothing else you can do for these type of people.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    ne_nau.gif My wife photographed a wedding a few years ago where the bride was at least 100lbs overweight and the groom was about 50 lbs over. She really didn't know what to do. Basically she just treated it like any other wedding. We got a couple of thousand dollars in reprints from the wedding. We were both surprised. Maybe its like the golfer who's ball is behind a tree. "what tree?".
    And did I see someone using my initials earlier? BS:ivar
  • Options
    nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    [SIZE=-1]Shay got it right -- definitely misplaced anger. Try misplacing some of her money by offering her a photo-editing package that would absolve her of her sins. The liquify filter is a very powerful tool in photoshop and with a couple of tucks here and there, she could be very happy with the results.

Nikos

[/SIZE]
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Before you go the instant Richard Simmons route and tell people you can shed a few of those unwanted pounds them up by using liquify techniques. Get some practice on this tool. The tool while very powerful is difficult to master w/o leaving remnants of pp work.
    I've been a design enthusiast for 8+ years w/ photoshop and this process is still timeconsuming.
    Listen to the earlier advise and learn to roll w/ the blows. This girl would have probably
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    This thread needs some photo examples.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Halliday wrote:
    This thread needs some photo examples.

Agreed, in the interest of the bride, you might want to hide her face?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    i'd rather not post any distinguisable pictures of the couple out of respect to their privacy. but you can get a gist of it.

133875865-S.jpg

133876265-S.jpg
    - Dan

• Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    I don't get the gist..sorry. Her hand looks a bit big. She looks a little wide from behind, but who wouldn't ;)

Are we talking about double chins, muffin tops and things like that?
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    Halliday wrote:
    I don't get the gist..sorry. Her hand looks a bit big. She looks a little wide from behind, but who wouldn't ;)

Are we talking about double chins, muffin tops and things like that?

tough spots include: double chins, large upper arms, and an uneven spray tan to name a few things.
    - Dan

• Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    tough spots include: double chins, large upper arms, and an uneven spray tan to name a few things.

None of those things are caused by bad photography.