can power user prevent right click copying?

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited March 12, 2007 in SmugMug Support
i have a question, is it possible to prevent "people" from right clicking and copying original size images or prevent them from downloading them in general?? :scratch

thanks

Dave

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 1, 2007
    i have a question, is it possible to prevent "people" from right clicking and copying original size images or prevent them from downloading them in general?? headscratch.gif

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Right-click protection is a Pro feature only. However, you can disable your original photos from being viewed in your gallery settings (gallery tools - customize gallery).
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    i have a question, is it possible to prevent "people" from right clicking and copying original size images or prevent them from downloading them in general?? headscratch.gif

Disable originals as mentioned, but remember, if you can see it on a computer screen, you can save it-- even if right-click/ctrl-click is disabled. In other words, large and medium photos can easily be saved using prnt-scrn or apple-shift-3. This is where watermarks are nice! They don't prevent swiping images, but they make it a little more obvious.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• FoxMetz ImagesFoxMetz Images Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2007
    FoxMetz Images
    dogwood wrote:
    Disable originals as mentioned, but remember, if you can see it on a computer screen, you can save it-- even if right-click/ctrl-click is disabled. In other words, large and medium photos can easily be saved using prnt-scrn or apple-shift-3. This is where watermarks are nice! They don't prevent swiping images, but they make it a little more obvious.

THE ONLY SURE WAY TO PROTECT YOU PHOTOS IS TO ADD A COPYRIGHT STATEMENT ACROSS THE FACE OF THE PHOTO. REDUCE THE OPACITY TO ALLOW VIEWERS TO APPRECIATE THE PHOTO. SMUGMUG OFFERS THEIR OWN WATERMARK OR YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN TO ADD. IT MUST BE ADDED IN A WAY THAT IT CANNOT BE REMOVED BY AN EDITOR SUCH AS PHOTOSHOP. JUST ADDING A COPYRIGHT STATEMENT TO THE BOTTOM OF AN IMAGE CAN BE REMOVED.

LARRY - FoxMetz Images
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Yes there is a way to rightclick protect for your account. It requires a bit of coding and can be overridden. But it WILL do what you wish. Do a search of the forum or let me know if you come up dry and I'll post the code...
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    allow small rightclick, but not medium or large
    Yes there is a way to rightclick protect for your account. It requires a bit of coding and can be overridden. But it WILL do what you wish. Do a search of the forum or let me know if you come up dry and I'll post the code...

What I'm looking for is a way to override the protection so that my customers can right click and save on the small images but not on the medium or large. I realize they could capture them if they knew how, but mostly they don't. I want to allow them to use the small images in their myspace, tribe and similar accounts. I have share turned on, but that is not quite the same.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Brandon
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.