Editing / Adding Geography

AndyAndy BicameralNew YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
edited December 19, 2013 in Location, Location, Location!
thought i'd explain how to map your photos - if you have a SmugMug gallery :D

1. in order for the maps function to work, your mapped photos *must* be in a public gallery - no ifs, ands or buts...

2. under the "photo tools" dropdown, choose "edit geography"
33398824-L.jpg

3. on the next screen, type in the street address and zipcode (us only for this method) then click on "lookup address"
33398834-L.jpg

4. you now have a look at the actual map, and the lat/long are shown for you. as long as you've got it correct, click "apply"
33398841-L.jpg

5. now the world can see where you've been :D your viewers will click on "map this" if they want the web-based google maps to display your mapped photo. they'll click on the "google earth" feed button (bottom of screen) if they want the mapped photo to open in their local copy of google earth
33398848-L.jpg

of course, some areas have full satellite photos and some only have road maps.

for those smugmuggers outside the u.s., you simply need to use another tool to find the latitude and longitude for your photograph (a google search is really easy...) and enter it in manually in step three above. many of you have gps devices, you can record the lat/long while shooting and you've already got it! and soon, the camera mfgrs will have the geo data automatically recorded in the exif :deal

oh here's two from mystic connecticut this past weekend:

(click on the pic for the map jazz)

33278326-M-1.jpg

33273005-M-1.jpg

enjoy (mapped) photography

Comments

  • erich6erich6 Photoholic Posts: 1,638Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    This is awesome Andy! Thanks for sharing how to do it. Great tool. :):

    Erich
  • BigAlBigAl Major grins Posts: 2,294Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Just a question about latitude and longititude (can't use street addresses where I am :D). I see that your latitude is positive and longitude is negative, so I assume the system sees the Earth as an X-Y graph with Equator/Greenwich as the origin. So where I am would be (very approx) (28E, 28S) in shipping coordinates and (28, -28) in the google map coordinates?
  • MainFraggerMainFragger mainfragger.smugmug.com Posts: 563Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Muhahaha...
    Like I'd want people to know where my favorite spots to film are! Ha!

    If I were still on smugmug, the next person to drive to a location I mapped would end up in a lake! rolleyes1.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    This is awesome Andy! Thanks for sharing how to do it. Great tool. :):

    Erich

    :D thanks erich!
  • BigAlBigAl Major grins Posts: 2,294Registered Users Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    ice detail
    BigAl wrote:
    Just a question about latitude and longititude (can't use street addresses where I am :D). I see that your latitude is positive and longitude is negative, so I assume the system sees the Earth as an X-Y graph with Equator/Greenwich as the origin. So where I am would be (very approx) (28E, 28S) in shipping coordinates and (28, -28) in the google map coordinates?
    To answer my own question, Yes. GPSs I've worked with give the coordinates in e/w, n/s format, so remember this conversion.

    Unfortunately, I'm tryin to work out coordinates from 1:250000 maps, and with all of those I've tried so far I've ended up way off target. I've then had to fine tune with guess work to get it into position.
  • davidryandavidryan Ah Gees... Posts: 306Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Andy-- thanks so much for showing us how to do this-- it is awesome! It sort of puts you in your place when you see on a map all the places you've been-- coupled with all the images you've captured-- sort of meshes you pics with your fond memories.
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    davidryan wrote:
    Andy-- thanks so much for showing us how to do this-- it is awesome! It sort of puts you in your place when you see on a map all the places you've been-- coupled with all the images you've captured-- sort of meshes you pics with your fond memories.


    You're welcome! Don't forget to check out Google Earth (now for PC *and* Mac) :jawdrop
  • davidryandavidryan Ah Gees... Posts: 306Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Andy-- I actually had Google Earth before I used your map this feature for smug. Its a great tool! Only issue I found with it is, the farm on which I grew up (parents still live there) has this very long road winding through it-- and they named it. It wouldn't be so bad if they named it like... farm road, or pheasant lane-- but my parents driveway in Pennsylvania is named Palmdale Drive. Odd...ne_nau.gif
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Long Shots Posts: 2,555Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    I must be doing something wrong.I tried to map a few areas in VA and all I get is some map in Caliheadscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    I must be doing something wrong.I tried to map a few areas in VA and all I get is some map in Caliheadscratch.gif


    Reply here with gallery and pic url and the address, + zip and I'll show ya thumb.gif
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Long Shots Posts: 2,555Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    1201 Atlantic Ave Virginia Beach,VA 23451
    Gallery Image

    Thanks Andy
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    1201 Atlantic Ave Virginia Beach,VA 23451
    Gallery Image

    Thanks Andy


    et voila
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    And here, for that BW, after entering the addy, the google map comes up, and I just clicked over near the pier, which is the angle from which I'm guessing you took that bw photo :D
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Bubbly Think Tank Posts: 1,376Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    This might be a good place to ask, if the maps get updated....For some places in Australia I do not get a picture at all, and no town names or street names...I get them on my Google Earth program but not on the SmugMaps. I understand it must take alot of space to store the maps etc. I was just wondering.

    That being said this is a very wonderful feature of Smugmug and I really love it!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

    Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Long Shots Posts: 2,555Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    And here, for that BW, after entering the addy, the google map comes up, and I just clicked over near the pier, which is the angle from which I'm guessing you took that bw photo :D
    I guess what I was doing was putting in the State also.
    I see you used the address and zip.
    Thanks
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    This might be a good place to ask, if the maps get updated....For some places in Australia I do not get a picture at all, and no town names or street names...I get them on my Google Earth program but not on the SmugMaps. I understand it must take alot of space to store the maps etc. I was just wondering.

    That being said this is a very wonderful feature of Smugmug and I really love it!

    Wait a minute - here's Gus' kava lair

    Here's Gus' bridge he likes to photogaph, courtesy of Google Earth (and I could zoom in enough to probably see Gus on his balcony, shooting the sunset lol3.gif
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Bubbly Think Tank Posts: 1,376Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    All I get on that link is a bunch of squares that says "we are sorry we do not have images for that zoom level, try zooming out..."

    Most of the images are the same, and all the major cities are covered, but I'm not in a major city and when I try to map my photos I get no town city or street names...So I had to find them by memory of what the place looked like..
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

    Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    All I get on that link is a bunch of squares that says "we are sorry we do not have images for that zoom level, try zooming out..."

    Most of the images are the same, and all the major cities are covered, but I'm not in a major city and when I try to map my photos I get no town city or street names...So I had to find them by memory of what the place looked like..

    Did you try zooming out? ear.gif But yeah, I hear you.

    MS is supposed to come out with a competing system soon - one that will locate a flea on a fly.
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Bubbly Think Tank Posts: 1,376Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Yes I had to zoom out about 5 times.

    I have mapped about 8 photos and because theres no town names it took me a very long time zooming round trying to figure out what i was looking. Its still very cool though.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

    Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • ysr612ysr612 Major grins Posts: 148Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    I have tried to map some of my big bend pictures and if I do a search for user name ysr612 I get no pictures returned.
  • ArchiTexasArchiTexas Grins muy grande Posts: 107Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    ysr612 wrote:
    I have tried to map some of my big bend pictures and if I do a search for user name ysr612 I get no pictures returned.

    YSR612 - I sent you an invite to join the Smugmug Big Bend Community in case you're interested.

    Rgds,
    ERF
    http://erfphotoart.com

    Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • brocotbrocot Major grins Posts: 158Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    Hi smuggers ,

    I just bought the Gisteq PhotoTrackr Plus RT90 for mi Nikon D90, great tool in combination whit Lighroom and Smugmug.

    The first results are here : SENEGAL
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/Holidays/Senegal
    D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be
Sign In or Register to comment.