Canon XT vs. XTI help

Mr. WonderfulMr. Wonderful Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited June 11, 2007 in Cameras
Hello all!

I have been seriosly considering switching over from a point and shoot to a digital SLR camera. I have searched out and read all of the topics regarding the Canon XT and XTI cameras but still have not come across anything compelling to make me choose either camera. I know there is a change in MP and I do plan on blowing up and framing some of my new photos but can someone please give me their opinion on which to buy? I see that there are not too many differences in the two cameras. Also I am getting much more serious about my photography and was wondering if I should go with a standard kit or just buy the body and find lenses on my own. If you suggest lenses can you please include a link for me?
Thank you so much for taking the time to check out these concerns for me!:deal

Comments

• CodyWeberCodyWeber Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    I can't really give much of a comparison, but I shoot with a Rebel XT and it's an amazing camera.
    There Was This Big Bang Once, But The Clergyman Doesn't Agree.
    Cody Weber Photography.
    Gallery -- Journal
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    and I shoot with the Rebel XTi and am really enjoying it!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    I shoot with an XT. Since I already own one and am not made of money, I don't see enough differences to spend the same money all over again on an XTi. However, if I did not already have one, I would buy the XTi, because it's more current and has the self-cleaning sensor. I haven't had to clean my XT sensor yet, but I dread the day when I'll have to.

As far as lenses...it's hard to recommend any unless you mention what kind of shooting you want to do. I started with the XT body + 17-85 IS, but after realizing what I really like is shooting portraits in available light, I have moved on to the faster 17-55 IS f2.8 as my general lens. A wildlife, sports, or landscape photographer might need a completely different lens than that.

If you don't yet know what your focus is, maybe it would be good to start with the kit lens knowing that you'll move on later once you realize what you like to shoot. It might have been better for me to start that way, instead of initially buying a more expensive zoom I don't need as much now.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    +1 for the Rebel XT. Noise at the high end of ISO (800+) is not great, but definitely workable. I saw no reason to upgrade to the XTi. The increase in MP only means you can create bigger, not better, pictures. The built-in dust protection has mixed reviews and I have never had a dus problem with my XT. I would advise anyone on a budget, which most of us are, to spend the money you save on the XT on good lenses.

I just upgraded to the 30D because I found an insanely good deal and I wanted spot metering and better high ISO and AF performance because I shoot wildlife and birds. That said, I never considered a jump to the XTi and all of the XT shooters I know have not either.

ALL of the cameras in Canon and Nikon lineups are execellent. You really can not make a bad choice.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • dave kadolphdave kadolph Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2007
    We have both and each has their advantages. The XTI with the brighter viewfinder and larger display makes it easier on the aging eyes in low light situations.

Never loaded the dust delete software--was not worth the extra baggage that comes along with it.

Autofocus in lower light is faster--but not improved.

The Xt --at least our copy -- just takes better pictures. May be a problem with calibration as the XTI is @ canon service for an err99 repair as we speak. Low mileage Xt's are priced right at the moment.

We bought the "kit" and have used the lens that came with the camera very little. Pass on the bargain lenses and invest in good glass as that is where the image quality truly comes from. The best lens choices depend on what you intend to use them for.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Neither is bad.
    I switched to the XTI from the XT because the announced the XTI right after I purchased the XT. It has it's ups and downs just like the XT did.
    My XT had a dust problem. Not just on the pictures, but on the body from my fingers holding it. It seemed to turn whitish wherever my hands touched.
    The dust clean feature on the XTi is great. Turn the camera on and off and it's done. The XT I was constantly blowing it out and complaining to my wife that I may have to take it to a service center to get cleaned. No such problem with the XTI.
    The menu's are better on the XTI and it's easier to switch settings. The LCD is easier to use especially in low light when I seem to do my most shooting. The viewfinder is a little on the small side.
    I knew within one week that the kit wasn't good for my kind of shooting.
    Focus is faster with the XTi.
    If it underexposes a smidge, it's fixable in post but frustrating nonetheless. All that said, you can't go wrong with either. Not having either of them, I would choose the XTi.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Mr. WonderfulMr. Wonderful Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Thank you all so much for you insight and advice. I have been consumed mostly with landscapes and while I want to continue shooting them, I would really like to start shooting people and also wild life. I gues in all I would like to have a versetile lense. I know someone in another thread mentioned a nice looking 50mm one, he called it the nifty fifty. I have been doing my reading on that one and I like the pics I have seen done with it.

I guess my major issue with the cameras is why not pay a little bit more? I mean the XTI is only a couple hundred more and I would only need to save a little longer. I suppose I could always put new lenses on a wish list as my photography progresses right?
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I guess my major issue with the cameras is why not pay a little bit more? I mean the XTI is only a couple hundred more and I would only need to save a little longer. I suppose I could always put new lenses on a wish list as my photography progresses right?

I guess the question is, what feature on XTi that XT lacks of, makes you want to 'pay a little bit more'? Both camera bodies are about the same, it is the lens that makes the difference. 10MP vs 8MP doesn't really makes much difference in terms of image resolution, if there is any. Theoratically it takes 4 times the MP to double the resolution. If you really want to take advantage of the camera body for special venue such like sports shooting, than that is where 1D series body really shine.

Eric
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I'll chime in. I have both cameras, and use them both.
    The XT without a doubt, has less noise at ISO 400 (I shoot at that ISO a lot) than the XTi. Is 10 MP a big thing? Yes and no. If you regularly have to crop a lot, the 10MP helps.
    As others have said, the 2.5 screen is a big help for older eyes, and is really the reason that I upgraded to the XTi.
    The anti-dust thing, I think it's hype. I didn't have any trouble with dust with my first D reb 300, or the XT.
    The menu system on the XTi is easier to use. (IMO)
    So, I'll bet that clears things up.ne_nau.gif

It all going to come down to you. Go out, hold each of them, run through the menus and such and see just what feels right to you.

As for the kit lens. I have 3. When I was buying my cameras it was like Canon was giving them away, so I ended up with a new one every time.
    One of my kit lenses is way sharper than the other 2. Why? I don't know but it is. Lately I bought a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 lens. The kit lens hasn't been on the camera since.

Last thing. If you're looking to get into wildlife photography, start saving a ton a of money for long lenses. No matter how long of a lens you have, you'll wish you had more. A 70-200 lens, once again in my opinion, is worthless for wildlife. Nothing lets me get that close. A 70-300 is OK, but still a little short. 400mm lenses seem to be the lens of choice. They take a tele converter (1.4 times magnifier) pretty well, and for longer glass, it's the bargain length. To move to a 500mm lens, the price goes up 5 times.

Good luck.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    You might find the DPReview site very handy, they go into some serious review depth of these cameras. I had 2 XTs, they are great, but a little small. However a Canon or Opteka grip fixes that issue. My opinion would be, based on you coming from a P&S, to save your money and get the XT. There is more than enough capability there to allow you to learn and grow with that camera. The megapixel only comes into play if you are making poster sized prints, otherwise 8 vs 10 does not provide much of a difference when printing 8x10s or viewing on the screen. By time you outgrow that camera, you would be able to pick up the 30D or even a 1D series for not too much money. The $200 savings between a preowned XT vs XTi can go toward a flash or great lenses like the Sigma 17-70, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Canon 28-135 (all around $300) or step up to the Canon 70-300 IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 70-200 f/4 (all around $500).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=alpha
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Thing is though you arent asking which is better! really as the xti is over all a better camera thats obvious! what you need to ask is whats better.

Rebel XTi body only
    or a rebel XT with cannon 50mm 1.8 a tripod nice bag and a polarising filter

because you would get those two choices for the same price.

id go for the XT and extra kit personally.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I have both cameras. I shoot marching band contests so I needed to bodies because there is no time to switch lenses during a performance. The big improvement for me was the increased speed of the XTi. The increase burst shot speed and the improved focus lock.

If you do not need a higher burst speed then do like others have suggested and get the XT plus something for the kit!
    edited March 4, 2007
    Thanks to all who took the time to post here. I think I have decided to go with the XTi for now with just a kit lense. When I become better I will upgrade lenses. I know I will come along quickly. Thanks for the replys!thumb.gif
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Thanks to all who took the time to post here. I think I have decided to go with the XTi for now with just a kit lense. When I become better I will upgrade lenses. I know I will come along quickly. Thanks for the replys!thumb.gif

EXACTLY what I did. I think you will be pleased with the decision.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    My only word of advice is to skip the kit lens. You will quickly outgrow it and it is not the best lens for the monet. Almost everyone comes to that realization. I strongly suggest you look at a lens like the Sigma 17-70. You will be far happier with that lens or similar for far longer and it is a better investment.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited March 5, 2007
    Ok I will keep that under consideration. For the time being I am not sure that I will have the budget. Would it be better for me to just buy the body then and buy a better lense? Or wasa that what you were saying...Forgive me I am a bit tired.
    edited March 5, 2007
    B & H was out of 50mm 1.8's last Thursday so my kit lens is still in my bag. I've taken 2 pictures with the Kit lens since August.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Bump
    Being that I am contemplating similar decisions, I am interested to know if you have any comments a few months later if you purchased one.

Thanks
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    I had an XT and liked it a lot. Opportunity came up for me to sell it for a decent price and upgrade to an XTi. Pretty pointless upgrade, but I always like new toys.

First things I noticed were that the pictures looked the same, but the file sizes were (obviously) a bit bigger, so fewer fit on my memory card. I also noticed the battery life was a bit shorter. I had read enough reviews to know about those downsides, but they still came as a surprise for some reason.

The LCD screen on the XTi is MUCH better. Better viewing angle, bigger, brighter. Much easier to see the camera's current settings.

Never had a big dust problem with the XT. Had to clean it (with a rocket blower thingy) every few months. Haven't had to clean the XTi yet. But I don't really ever take the lens off. Maybe the sensor cleaner works or maybe I've just been lucky so far. Haven't bothered with the dust delete data function.

To me, there's no difference in the 10 vs 8 mp. Can't crop pictures any farther because they get blurry long before they get pixelated, if you know what I mean. Maybe I'd see the difference if I had a better lens... But for my purposes, small and light is as important as quality so the kit lens works for me.

Dave
    SkydivingStills.com
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    I recently bought the XT, mostly because the reviews I read rated the xt higher than the xti... before the xt I had a fuji finepix 5100. It was an easy camera to learn on, and Iloved the zoom, which is the one thing I miss with the kit lens I have- but my birthday is next month. :)

Anyway, I am loving my xt, and love the pictures I am getting (so far)

BTW... what is this "grip" I hear about??? I need that, my hand gets tired (one of the cons on both cameras)
  • Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Status Display
    One thing to consider is that there is no 'status display' on the XTi.

It's the little black and white screen that shows the shutter speed, f-stop, metering mode, etc. and it's above the LCD display on the XT. I bought the XT because I'm not made of money. I considered upgrading to the XTi but the lack of that screen is the deal breaker.

They increased the size of the LCD display at the expense of that screen. It doesn't matter indoors or at night because the 2.5" LCD displays all that information....but in bright sunlight the display isn't too readable.

For that reason I'm saving up for a 30D and will not buy an XTi.
    (As was said above, the 30D has spot metering and other goodies. Plus it has the big sreeen and a wheel in the back to adjust aperture)

If you want to stay sub $1000 buy an XT. If you have more cash, get the 30D.

Just my $.02
    edited June 3, 2007
    I disagree. The XT status display was a welcome loss on upgrade for me. This new display is much easier to read, sometimes too bright, and I don't need to pray that I find the button to turn the status display light on at night. I don't know that I've ever had to hold my hand over the lcd to shade it so I can read it.

crop wise
    158164618-L.jpg

I can still get a good 5 x 7.
    158164629-L.jpg

but there's not much difference between the XT and XTi.

dak.smugmug.com
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    I disagree. The XT status display was a welcome loss on upgrade for me. This new display is much easier to read, sometimes too bright, and I don't need to pray that I find the button to turn the status display light on at night. I don't know that I've ever had to hold my hand over the lcd to shade it so I can read it.

I agree. One of the primary reasons I got an XTi was because of the difficulty I had reading the LCD on the XT. I'm one of those folks who needs reading glasses to read certain things, well I don't need them for the XTi and that is a big advantage for me. One less thing to have to carry.
  • Doug G.Doug G. Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2007
    Hello all!
    I have been seriosly considering switching over from a point and shoot to a digital SLR camera. I have searched out and read all of the topics regarding the Canon XT and XTI cameras but still have not come across anything compelling to make me choose either camera. I know there is a change in MP and I do plan on blowing up and framing some of my new photos but can someone please give me their opinion on which to buy? I see that there are not too many differences in the two cameras. Also I am getting much more serious about my photography and was wondering if I should go with a standard kit or just buy the body and find lenses on my own. If you suggest lenses can you please include a link for me?
    Thank you so much for taking the time to check out these concerns for me!deal.gif

There have been a number of comments in this thread recommending Sigma (and perhaps other third party) lenses. Sigma makes some fantastic glass, but two of the Canon EF-S 'normal' zooms are equipped with image stabilization, and the comparable Sigma lenses are not. I've owned both the EF-S 17-85mm and the excellent EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, and the convenience of IS is HUGE. Also, most authorities agree that the 'kit' lens is not professional grade.

As far as XT versus XTi, the larger LCD alone is a big advantage in the XTi. The user interface in the XTi is quicker and more user friendly. Dust reduction technology is an important advance.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong with the XT. I've shot 17,000 frames with mine, and it's still going strong.
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    I had a Rebel and generally speaking I found it was a fine body; the XT and XTi improve the breed in most respects. The XT fixed the primary fault in the Rebel, which was slow write speed, and the XTi's focusing system is a bit of an improvement over the other two ... although I prefer to lock it on the center, and all of them do a very nice job when used that way.

I used the kit lens only very briefly, until I picked up a 28-70 f/2.8 L. That glass is like crack, use it and you will never touch the cheap lens again. My kit lens was nicely sharp but I have seen versions that were not and that had other flaws. I would recommend something else; if money is an issue, pick up a 50mm prime rather than a zoom and go to a nice zoom when you can. The 50mm f/1.8 is a great buy.

Back to the bodies, there were two things about the XTi that I really didn't like. The most obvious is its form factor; so small that it is difficult to use with larger lenses. The battery pack helps a lot. And speaking of batteries, that's my other complaint. The battery capacity is significantly smaller than the XT and original Rebel. While the camera is itself more power efficient to the point where it's more or less the same, the lenses still draw the same power. If you're using a large stabilized lens you will really want the battery pack (love love love my 70-200 f/2.8 IS L).

I am a huge fan of cheap bodies and good glass, but the XTi didn't seem to be the sweet spot in Canon's line like the Rebel and XT before it.

The form facter really bothered me, and I'm not a fan of using the big LCD for a status display although I think they did a clever job with it, and agree with someone else here who noted that you don't have to hit the backlight button, which I can never find either.

The imager on the XTi is great but I didn't find a lot of benefit in going 6mp to 8mp and can't see that I'd get a lot of win out of 10mp either; they're all more than good enough for all but poster-size prints.

The focusing system is better than it was on previous models but the 30D has a lot more focusing points and you can get a microprism/split prism focusing screen that doesn't lose features versus the stock screen (shoot in low light and you NEED this in my opinion).

If there's one feature on the XTi that I really wish I had it's the self-cleaning sensor. I haven't had to do a lot of cleaning but it's a bother when dust gets in there.

In the end I decided that the 30D was money better spent than the XTi. Better form factor, the aforementioned focusing screen, much better battery system, and buffers so large that I have never even come close to stalling the camera (16 raw frames at 5fps before stall!). But I would have had a hard time justifying it as my first body.

If I were buying on a budget I would very seriously consider the XT instead of the XTi, with the savings spent on a better lens than the kit. That's a fine camera and the XTi's improvements are pretty minor in my opinion. All of these cameras benefit from better glass.

Then again if I were starting from scratch without lenses I'd buy a Nikon D80. I like its ergonomics a lot more than any of the Canon products and the color is superb. But with thousands of dollars in Canon glass I guess I'm a Canon customer for life :-).
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com