Options

The Watch Thread

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited March 5, 2007 in The Big Picture
Spike want's to talk watches. Have at it.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 2, 2007
    Is it just me, or is Doc's place a lot cleaner cut than you would have imagined? Oh, and buy a watch with a smaller face. What is that, a 42mm?
    Jealous? (It's an Oris BC3 chrono, 42mm)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Jealous? (It's an Oris BC3 chrono, 42mm)

Ha, see I can spot the exact size from a mile away, that's why they call me...um...well they just call me Richard.

Jealous? Of your living quarters room? Yes. Of the watch? Not so much. Oris makes a fine watch, but as you know I tend to prefer the older thing in life, which includes in watches (1964 Omega Seamaster and 1967 Omega Constellation, the later one is a rare face that a watch maker I know who has been working on and selling Omega's since the 60's said he has only seen that shape of a face - still a circle, but slightly different - on an Omega a couple of times in his life...pretty neat since I had no idea until he told me).

If I were to buy a new watch, it would probably be an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra with the co-axial 2500 chronomete movement in either 35mm or 38mm. I really don't think anybody should wear a watch bigger than 40mm and 42mm is reserved for only the biggest of offensive linemen (and Roland Murphy agrees). If I were willing to go for bigger watches, and I were either a pilot or *cough cough* an engineer, I would track down a nicely kept Breitling AOPA Navitimer.

Der Snobmeister hat gesprochen.

Oh, and I voted for Ziggy...I can't quite remember who he is though.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    marlof wrote:
    Since this thread has been highjacked, and seems to be OT by nature: nice watch! I like look of the BC3, but personally ended up with a more classic looking Artelier Date 40.5mm.
    My mom has an Artelier. Very nice.

Mine was a gift, so my decision was easy :D

Richard: Omegas are sweet, indeed. Someday I'll get one too... but as mentioned above, my dad wasn't about to gift me something better than his own Omega Seamaster. He has to keep the top dog status in whatever he can! lol3.gif

Any Swiss automatic is pretty good in my book. Most of the movements are all made by ETA anyway.

We need a watch thread!
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    My mom has an Artelier. Very nice.

Mine was a gift, so my decision was easy :D

Richard: Omegas are sweet, indeed. Someday I'll get one too... but as mentioned above, my dad wasn't about to gift me something better than his own Omega Seamaster. He has to keep the top dog status in whatever he can! lol3.gif

Any Swiss automatic is pretty good in my book. Most of the movements are all made by ETA anyway.

We need a watch thread!

Yea, we do need a watch thread, but it's more fun wrecking up worthless threads. ETA does make just about everything, though IIRC that co-axial movement is unique to Omegas. My Seamaster wind, though my Constellation is automatic. It's funny how much cheaper watches used to be. I believe my Constellation, which is rolled gold (the gold is about twice as thick as what they put on the current gold Constellations), automatic, chronometer, day/date, cost about $110 when bought new. Granted, that's about $750 in today's money, but could you imagine trying to buy a rolled gold Omega with day/date, automatic movement, and chronometer certified today for $750?

And I still say as an engineer you should get an old AOPA Navitimer. I mean, sure it's for pilots, but a watch with a built in slide rule?! You could just throw away your calculator! lol
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Yea, we do need a watch thread,

Maria Sharapova Watch Thread Now.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    The Watch Thread
    I think Andy was saying to make a watch thread....though what I'm about to say continues from the posts in the Andy v Pathfinder thread (maybe Andy could move them?)

If I were super rich (like Tiger or Gordon or Sharapova), I would buy an A. Lange & Soehne. Either the Langematik or the 1815.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    I think Andy was saying to make a watch thread.
    No he wasnt.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    gus wrote:
    No he wasnt.

He said "Watch Thread Now" as a hyperlink that had nothing to do about a thread...so I was confused. I figured I was being scolded for thread jacking.

HAHA! I was right! I win! How do you like them pomegranates?!
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    He said "Watch Thread Now" as a hyperlink that had nothing to do about a thread...so I was confused. I figured I was being scolded for thread jacking.
    You have enough on your plate with deciding which spanner to use during the chinese new year without clouding your mind with more useless information.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    gus wrote:
    You have enough on your plate with deciding which spanner to use during the chinese new year without clouding your mind with more useless information.

It's not useless. One day I'll have the riches to afford these things (the watches...the tools I can already afford)...AND RULE WITH AN IRON FIST MUAHAHHAHAAHAHA! erm...ahem...

Does anybody here have first hand experience with Zenith watches? My brother insisted they're the bees knees, so I looked at one in a store...it looked like rubbish to me, but what do I know.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Does anybody here have first hand experience with Zenith watches? .
    No
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    gus wrote:
    No he wasnt.
    I wanted a Maria Sharapova watch thread!
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I wanted a Maria Sharapova watch thread!

Do the photoshoot and you'll get one.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    And I still say as an engineer you should get an old AOPA Navitimer. I mean, sure it's for pilots, but a watch with a built in slide rule?! You could just throw away your calculator! lol
    I have one of those slides on my watch as well (not the navitimer). My watch is fairly large, but it's surprisingly accurate for calculations actually. Not that I have ever really used it operationally.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I have one of those slides on my watch as well (not the navitimer). My watch is fairly large, but it's surprisingly accurate for calculations actually. Not that I have ever really used it operationally.

Well let's have it then, what kind of watch is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007

He does not have a watch. He ..like you has a camera & is out shooting with it now as you should be.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    I'm a Tag-man. I've had the same Tag for a long time, my wife got it for me on our very first trip together, in Switzerland.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    I was afraid you were going to ask that, but I don't know, I have to look it up. It's upstairs, and I am in lazy mode at this time :) I'll let you know shortly.

EDIT: I do know it's solar powered and radio controlled, which means I never have to replace the battery, or set the time.... the best watch ever ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    gus wrote:
    He does not have a watch. He ..like you has a camera & is out shooting with it now as you should be.

Naw, I've got to take a break. messed up my left ulnar nerve so I'm not supposed to do things that cause me to bend my left elbow. Thank goodness I can type with only my right hand.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    This is my watch. It seems that watches are popular gift items, mine was as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    This is my watch. It seems that watches are popular gift items, mine was as well.
    It would be be better if Maria was wearing your watch.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It would be be better if Maria was wearing your watch.
    lol3.gif you are just forcing this into a maria-watch thread, aren't you?
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    7013219-L.jpg
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    I need to take some new pics, but my lineup is an IWC Mark XV (white dial, leather strap), Omega Seamaster Pro (steel bracelet), Baum & Mercier Hampron (blue steel face, steel bracelet).

My dream purchase is a Panerai Luminor.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Ya know what the best watch I ever had, I brought as a teenager.
    Paid like $5 for it in Singapore, was a genuine copy watch nod.gif it was all stainless steele, a fake Cartier, and lasted 15 years even..... Skip :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    Panerai Luminor.
    where's the drool smiley?

I know it's cliche, but I've always wanted a Rolex Explorer. A great simple watch. If I dream a little more, the Audemars have always appealed to me for that unique octagonal shape.

Have you guys checked out Kobold watches? Now there's an American we can be proud of. Great stuff.

Ah, and my last comment for the evening... Ivar: cool watch! Only I hate Citizen Eco-drives! Or at least one my mom had. What a piece of crap! Did you know it has 2, yes TWO batteries? And that the main one will last maybe 5 years (mom's lasted 1)? And if you're not out in the sun all the time, the backup (which runs the solar unit within the watch) also eventually needs replacing? Yeah, super eco-friendly! So again, great watches, but the "eco" is a gimmick, and a bad one.

edit: I re-read Citizen's blurb about the EcoDrive, and maybe they've changed it. But still, in practice, my mom's (now MrsIt's but on second battery) was far from "powered for life".
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Have you guys checked out Kobold watches? Now there's an American we can be proud of. Great stuff.

Speaking of American watches, how about these guys http://www.rgmwatches.com/

I know for repairs they are MIGHTY expensive, but they can fix anything.

Looking at Kobold's website....what the...what about a stainless strap can possibly be worth $750?
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    If you like vintage and military style watches, check out http://www.westcoastime.com. They sell some damn fine "inspired by" versions for very low cost.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    ivar wrote:

I love the Citizen eco-drives.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    If you like vintage and military style watches, check out http://www.westcoastime.com. They sell some damn fine "inspired by" versions for very low cost.
    Also a good place for just sourcing Nato style bands if you want to spruce up an older watch. nod.gif
    Erik