Uploader Coughing on CS 3 JPG's on MAC

wickendenwickenden Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited March 5, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm using an iMac Intel Core Duo machine with 2 gigs of memory and Photoshop CS 3 beta to create my images out of raw Nikon D200 files. My typical workflow includes editing in 16 bit to do selective sharpening after raw processing for noise and levels. For some reason, unless I save files as jpg's twice, the standard uploader coughs on them. I don't suspect smugmug, because frankly I see the same thing in Flickr. edit: of course I change the mode to 8 bit and flatten my sharpening layers before saving.

My question is have any of you seen this sort of thing? The uploader says it's not a valid file, but opening it and resaving it always does the trick. Any insights?

don

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Don,

The files must be .jpgs. Must be under 8mb for std and power accounts, and under 16mb for pro accounts. Under 48megapixels for all accounts.

Are your files all within these specs?
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Don,

The files must be .jpgs. Must be under 8mb for std and power accounts, and under 16mb for pro accounts. Under 48megapixels for all accounts.

Also-- CS3 is VERY much a beta at this point. I love it, but it won't properly resize (it pixelates-- Adobe has documented this) and there are numerous issues with Bridge that I've seen. But... the CS3 ACR sure beats the pants off the production version!

Anyway, you might check Adobe's CS3 bug documentation to see if your issue is listed.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• wickendenwickenden Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Don,

Yeah, they're all jpgs, always under 16 (pro account I have). My images are from a d200, 10.2 megapixels, what does "under 48 megapixels" mean?

The odd thing here is that when I resave the image, it works.

I can and will stage the files that don't work on a webserver I have and let you try it if you are interested.

don
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    wickenden wrote:
    Yeah, they're all jpgs, always under 16 (pro account I have). My images are from a d200, 10.2 megapixels, what does "under 48 megapixels" mean?
    File dimensions. 9000px by 6000px would be 54megapixels. You're fine here.

The odd thing here is that when I resave the image, it works.

I can and will stage the files that don't work on a webserver I have and let you try it if you are interested.

don
    It's the file extension, I'm sure - check your CS3 workflow?
    edited March 5, 2007
    Man you're good!
    Andy wrote:
    File dimensions. 9000px by 6000px would be 54megapixels. You're fine here.
    It's the file extension, I'm sure - check your CS3 workflow?

YES! You are correct, thanks. I am not sure what I'm doing, but I will pay strict attention this morning as I work through my process.

don
    edited March 5, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Also-- CS3 is VERY much a beta at this point. I love it, but it won't properly resize (it pixelates-- Adobe has documented this) and there are numerous issues with Bridge that I've seen. But... the CS3 ACR sure beats the pants off the production version!

Anyway, you might check Adobe's CS3 bug documentation to see if your issue is listed.

I'm amazed that they seem to be going straight from a pretty weak beta to production, by all accounts. But, I love the changes to bridge. One thing I wish they would give me is a way of viewing all the images below a certain folder without having to navigate (perhaps a library of thumbnails pointing toward the directories). I have to use iPhoto to find anything.

don