Ch#85 Change - Mig Welding?

CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited March 6, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thoughts? Does mig welding fit the theme well?
I like all these but can't pick just one. One has a slight blur issue due to shooting for just a wee bit longer exposure and he moved his head. Think if I re-did it I could convince him NOT to move at all? LOL. Seriously I'm my worst critique and this will be my first time entering the challenge on dgrin so any tips from you pros will be much appriciated. Are one of these keepers and theme worthy? If so, should I try and re-shoot tomarrow? Thanks for looking.

[IMG][/img]133166675-M.jpg

[IMG][/img]133170661-M.jpg

[IMG][/img]132890533-M.jpg

[IMG][/img]133175742-M.jpg
Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 2, 2007
    Beautiful images, but what is changing?
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Beautiful images, but what is changing?

hmmmmm... I was afraid of that. Being a country girl this sorta change is common everyday stuff. I'm married to a hubby that can make just about anything work. :D But if the change isn't obvious to most than it's certainly not theme worthy. Some of the changes I see: Sparks flying - changing place in space, etc. My husband is fixing his dad's old broken down lawnmower deck. Changing/fixing the metal deck.

Thanks for looking & commenting Truth. Greatly appriciated.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    lots of change goin' on...
    I see all that change and more Cindy... There is change on a molecular level as well... Truth should have recognized this because his submission was similar... solid to liquid... I like 3 and 4... In number 3 I can see he is making or fixing something, number 4 is just a very striking shot! You should Definitely submit one! thumb.gif

Winston
    Cindy wrote:
    hmmmmm... I was afraid of that. Being a country girl this sorta change is common everyday stuff. I'm married to a hubby that can make just about anything work. :D But if the change isn't obvious to most than it's certainly not theme worthy. Some of the changes I see: Sparks flying - changing place in space, etc. My husband is fixing his dad's old broken down lawnmower deck. Changing/fixing the metal deck.

Thanks for looking & commenting Truth. Greatly appriciated.
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    my husband used to be a welder...I like your idea for the change contest...the straight up and down welding mask and super glow on it in your pic #1 appeals to me:)nod.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 3, 2007
    Truth should have recognized this because his submission was similar

Winston
    orly.jpg

Was just trying to help, but you should have known that seeing how your post was attempting a similar result. It would seem I know nothing about how these contest entries are viewed and judged. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif Thank god the master hath spoken! Maybe she should sign the images? I hear that makes them 100 x better. rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 3, 2007
    I see all that change and more Cindy... There is change on a molecular level as well... Truth should have recognized this because his submission was similar... solid to liquid... I like 3 and 4... In number 3 I can see he is making or fixing something, number 4 is just a very striking shot! You should Definitely submit one! thumb.gif

Winston

Thank you for the words of encouragment & explaination. You've convinced me to enter. Now which one I must decide... hmmmmm. If I may be so bold to ask... is there anything you see I should do to finish off any of these images before I submit one? BTW: I had a look through your galleries (via truths link in his post) and WOWZA. I'm very impressed. Beautiful work in there and I can see why you would sign them. It's not often I like sigs on prints but I must say you've got a great collection and yes I do think your signature adds to the value. So classy thumb.gif

Yes, Truths ice/water image is one of my favorites in the comp :) I'd forgotten who entered it. Still learning who's who around here and finally names are starting to stick. I really liked the one he had with 2 cubes and heart shaped water.
    edited March 3, 2007
    my husband used to be a welder...I like your idea for the change contest...the straight up and down welding mask and super glow on it in your pic #1 appeals to me:)nod.gif

Thanks Amy. You'll convinced me, I'll enter one. May do some slight touch-ups first... after I decide which one. Had several family & friends look and I'm more confused over which one now than ever. rolleyes1.gif seems everyone likes different ones for various reasons.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    If I may be so bold to ask... is there anything you see I should do to finish off any of these images before I submit one? BTW:

I don't think so... They all look good to me

I had a look through your galleries (via truths link in his post) and WOWZA. I'm very impressed. Beautiful work in there and I can see why you would sign them. It's not often I like sigs on prints but I must say you've got a great collection and yes I do think your signature adds to the value. So classy thumb.gif

Thanks so much for the compliment...

Winston
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I like your shots Cindy...#4 works best for me. I don't feel it is critical in this instance to know what is changing, as I can assume your hubby is changing (altering) something just by the tool he is utilizing. :D
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I prefer #1. Trying to put into words why, here are a few reasons. The background is less cluttered and the crop is tighter so the whole composition is simpler and more elegant as a result. The blue light of the arc on the shoulder of his shirt nicely balances the blue of the arc itself.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I got to this a little late, but here's my 2 cents.

I think all the shots are to cluttered. If you would have stopped it down to really show off the arc it may have helped, but then it would have been tough to see any change in the photo. As it is, it's hard to understand what's really being done. Is he adding onto or changing something out. I don't know.

I guess I'm saying that I don't think it's a good contender for the contest.

P.S. If you take more shots around welding sparks. Be sure to have a filter on your lens, or stay far enough away that the sparks can't hit it. If a spark hits the lens, there's a good chance that it could fuse to the glass. Grinding sparks can do the same thing.

Good luck.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited March 5, 2007
    Well if I don't feel stupid...
    I re-worked one of the images in PS last night and was just about to submit it when :bash it dawned on me that I'd captured these a day to early on Sunday the 18th. :cry Oh geeze.... how stupid. I'd thought for sure I took those on Monday... I assumed wrong. No time or way to re-shoot since I only realized this about 1am this morning :sick
    I was really looking forward to entering for the first time on the last round too. Oh well... good practice for the big rounds comin up. Don't think I won't forever be aware of the date captured next time.

Even though I can't enter it here's the re-work if anyone cares to comment.

[IMG][/img]133860387-L.jpg

Thanks to everyone,
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    poor baby...I was just wishing there was some way to get in touch with you...looking through the challenge entries I didn't see yours and thought you'd forgotten to enter

I like that you removed some of the stuff in the corners of your reworked photo, but #1 is my fave still. Somehow the welder (aka your hubby) seems extra professional all nice and perfectly straight in the pic (although I know that has nothing to do with successful welding). Like Salazar, I like the blue light on his shirt and the tighter crop. The whole thing (way photo was taken and the action depicted) seems more professional looking to me:)
    edited March 5, 2007
    poor baby...I was just wishing there was some way to get in touch with you...looking through the challenge entries I didn't see yours and thought you'd forgotten to enter

I like that you removed some of the stuff in the corners of your reworked photo, but #1 is my fave still. Somehow the welder (aka your hubby) seems extra professional all nice and perfectly straight in the pic (although I know that has nothing to do with successful welding). Like Salazar, I like the blue light on his shirt and the tighter crop. The whole thing (way photo was taken and the action depicted) seems more professional looking to me:)

Thanks for noticing my entry was missing and commenting again Amy. Choosing between 1 & 2 was tough. I picked 2 for the entry only because you could see the plate being welded to the deck better. I agree with you on 1 though (I like his hand down so much better) and I plan to re-work it also... even though it's only for hubby's benefit. :D
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Sorry to hear that your shots were to early for the challenge.

If you take any more shots of hubby welding, see if he has another hood or maybe cutting goggles to shoot through. Or if you have some ND filters or polarizers. You can make the background very dark, but still have good light on the arc and hubby.

Tig welding
    medium.jpg

Mig welding
    This shot was 1/2 a second long at f32, ISO 100
    110843493-M.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited March 6, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Sorry to hear that your shots were to early for the challenge.

If you take any more shots of hubby welding, see if he has another hood or maybe cutting goggles to shoot through. Or if you have some ND filters or polarizers. You can make the background very dark, but still have good light on the arc and hubby.
    Yes, that was awfully dumb of me to not realize the early date until it was to late.

thumb.gif Those are some excellent shots. The black and white works great. Did you process them in color also? I'd really like to see them if you did.

Thank you for sharing. I'll certainly try adding some ND filters next time.