Compensating for Bad Lighting / Color Cast

kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
edited March 27, 2007 in Finishing School
I was fooling around while my kid played at the coffee house with the new 50mm 1.4, taking some snaps of him and the other munckins running about. This is one of his pals. This was shot at 1600ISO 50mm f1.4/100

133175191-L.jpg

The walls in this place were green, and illuminated by incandescent spotlights AND he was wearing a red fleece. Combo from hell.

After playing around with it for awhile, this is what I've got:

133200284-L.jpg

Now, I do see that it's an improvement, but I was wondering what the peanut gallery has to say about skin tone, and wanted to solict for help on getting the grain out of his face. (Hmm.... staring at it awhile I see that his face is too pink... wow, even more redreductions to come.)

Thanks for lookn'
--Kres

Comments

• kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Hmmm...

Guess I'll chronical my own improvements. :D

133881414-L.jpg

Even more tweaking of the blue and red channels. The CYMK trick failed misrabley 'cause of the grain. So I applied a paint filter and cranked the brush size Waaaaaaaaaaay down, and tweaked the sharpness. I figured that the grains in the shots killed off alot of detail anyway, so why not give it a shot.

It's intresting, on my Huey balanced monitor, the image looks a lot cleaner in photoshop, windows image viewer, and lightroom. Once linked into SmugMug, it get's washed out a little.
    --Kres
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I like to correct overall color in lab
    then do any curves a nd shadow opening. Back in RGB to fine tune color balance-then I'll freq. see what a blue amber or green filter does to the image-this helps me to recognize any residual color cast-sometimes when I've been staring at the monitor all night I can get desensitzed to some casts. Here's a 2 min. run of this pic. :

134036975-L.jpg

Interestingly (as Kres noted in his image) this view on smug-dgrin seems to have lightened the pants more and lessened the contrast than was evident when I had it in PS2

.......................Mereimage
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    And of course there's always b & w.

Something I often do with an image like this is open a saturation adjustment layer-- move the sliders and you can easily see which color in the skin is overdone-- in this case it looked like red. Pull the red down a bit, flip your adjustment layer (alt-backspace on a PC) and paint back in over the face. It's quick and dirty but also very effective.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Mere - Wow... I think I'll take a crack at learning LAB. That's an impressive Technique. thumb.gif

'Wood - Yah... I went for B&W out of the box, but it really didn't work very well with this subject - and the grain really blew it out of scope.

Maybe I'll try the LAB color correction and the try my paint stroke trick to kill off some of the grain. headscratch.gif
    --Kres
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    kres wrote:

Maybe I'll try the LAB color correction and the try my paint stroke trick to kill off some of the grain. headscratch.gif

I've had decent luck reducing noise with the Fred Miranda noise reduction filter (and it's only 20-bucks). Or... if the skin is all you're worried about, you can do a surface blur in PSCS along with a couple of other tricks to add back the texture-- there's a fantastic technique outlined in "Skin" by Lee Varis. I've created an action for it and use it all the time.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• cocasanacocasana Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Hi Kres, here's my try. I've assumed that the t shirt's collar was black and that the heron's body was neutral gray. I've neutralized them with level and numbers. Then selective red desaturation. Selective noise removal (Noise Ninja). Multipass sharpening.
  • manta1900manta1900 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    I tried.....
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Here is my version.

Sam
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I take it you shot JPEG? If you had shot RAW a click on the swan in the background should have pretty much been a one-shot deal... or at least given you a great starting point.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    I take it you shot JPEG? If you had shot RAW a click on the swan in the background should have pretty much been a one-shot deal... or at least given you a great starting point.

Even with a JPG this can be done.
    In Elements it's Enhance>Adjust Color>Remove Color Cast.

Use the little eyedropper and click on something white in the picture.

(RAW is over rated):D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • ZioLupoZioLupo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2007
    This is my version:
    mine_2.jpg