Options

New Zealand (South Island) Part I

KattKatt Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited March 4, 2007 in Journeys
I recently went on a trip to New Zealand. I was hoping to see grand awe inspiring mountains. I wasn't disappointed. 131801219-S.jpg
New Zealand, here we come!
131801223-S.jpg
We arrived in Christchurch where we took the Tranz Scenic train over Arthur's Pass (3hrs approx) to the West Coast town of Greymouth. This was our introduction to New Zealand, and on that train journey alone I was gobsmacked with the enormity of the mountains, and the deep beautifully coloured valleys below. I'm afraid though I was on the wrong side of the open carriage and people clammered (worringly so, those valleys looked they were getting closer) to the right side. Well, at 5ft3" I hopped to get a look and what I saw was magnificent.
131805242-S.jpg
This is the town of Greymouth. A small beachside town, very pretty. For me personally, walking out of the front door and seeing luscious hills, and crystal clear waters was something I'm not used to.
131805255-S.jpg
They have very pebbly beaches in New Zealand and I saw this everywhere, the stacking of stones, wondered if it had some symbolic significance. Someone said it meant the marking of territory.
131805260-S.jpg
131806002-S.jpg
Next major stop is Franz Josef. We're here to see the glacier!
131807633-S.jpg
We spent 3 days here and booked ourselves in to take a helicopter ride over the glacier at 1pm in the afternoon on our 2nd day there. As it was only 10:30am at the time of booking my sister and I decided to do a short trail. And yes we read the sign carefully, it said 40 minutes one way! Aha, aha, 6 hours later, bedragled and having walked straight up to the mouth of the Glacier we had come to the conclusion that New Zealand don't like signs! We dragged our feet to the Helicopter office and told them our sop story (I don't think we had to try too hard) and we then went on a 50 minute Helictopter trip that I'll never forget.
131809237-S.jpg
132909893-S.jpg
131810666-S.jpg
Water that comes from the Glacier and picks up the colour from the rocks - exactly as you see it, a lovely light grey.
131810674-S.jpg
Our first look at the Glacier.
131811368-S.jpg
On the way, more rock piles.
131827267-S.jpg
and of course a waterfall
131827279-S.jpg
People who took the Helihiking tour. Little blue penguins
131827282-S.jpg
and the mouth of the Glacier. We made it.
A day after visiting there I read in The Press NZ that an Australian man and I think possibly an American man decided not to heed the warning signs at the mouth that read Extreme Danger and wanted to explore inside. Strangely enough a day after reading this we were in the town of Te Anau talking to an Australian couple and I happened to mention to them whether they heard about the Ozzie guy who got hit in the head by a rock as a consequence of a part of the glacier breaking off and a water rush ensuing. The man I was talking to was the silly victim lol ! He gave me his first hand account. I'm not quite sure but I think the American's legs were pretty badly damanged and they both had to be rescued by tour guides and then carted off in helicopters.
PART 1 OF THE TRIP

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Great shots katt thumb.gif

The stone stacking is a method of asking for good fortune/wishes from buddha. It is quite common in Australia & i see NZ also. I often find them on local mountain tops & of course...add to the pile.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I love me some New Zealand! Nice shots thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Great shots katt thumb.gif

The stone stacking is a method of asking for good fortune/wishes from buddha. It is quite common in Australia & i see NZ also. I often find them on local mountain tops & of course...add to the pile.

I didn't know that Gus and I'm from Oz. Cool, now I know.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I love me some New Zealand! Nice shots thumb.gif

Thanks Mike :D
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    In Alaska we refer to the stacked stones as a cairn and use them mainly for marking a trail thats hard to find. :)

Seeing all those people on the glacier kinda scares me! That seems less then safe!

Very nice shots :)
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    In Alaska we refer to the stacked stones as a cairn and use them mainly for marking a trail thats hard to find. :)

Seeing all those people on the glacier kinda scares me! That seems less then safe!

Very nice shots :)

You see, I knew it meant something, and it seems to have multiple meanings.

Yes the glacier climb look less than safe to me too especially as its such uneven ground.

Thanks for the compliment :D
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Katt wrote:
    I recently went on a trip to New Zealand. I was hoping to see grand awe inspiring mountains. I wasn't disappointed.
    New Zealand, here we come!

New Zealand is indeed one of the most beautiful countries you could visit.
    I have been there only once, but never got to do much touring at all, so I missed out on the most prettiest places that you got to visit.

A very nice Journey post from you :Dclap.gif thanks for sharing... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin