New Zealand (South Island) Part II

KattKatt Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited March 8, 2007 in Journeys
cont...
View from the Helicopter
132909915-S.jpg
132909917-S.jpg
132909912-S.jpg
Next is the beach at Hokitika. Hokitika seemed to be quite flat, clean, wide streets, few cars, plenty of arts and crafts.
Their beaches are covered in drift wood that comes from the tree avalanches that happen on the mountains.
People make wood sculptures with them all along the beach - its like an outdoor gallery. Its really beautiful.
131877875-S.jpg

131877077-S.jpg
Black sandy beaches.
131895399-S.jpg
My sister Gwenda contemplating the view
131895416-S.jpg
Now we're in Queenstown - other than Franz Josef my favourite place in NZ
131895464-S.jpg
Bloody freezing waters but the cleanest you'll find anywhere.
131895488-S.jpg
The place is full of life. Here are two Spanish tourists just playing and singing along for the afternoon to add to the atmosphere.
131895499-S.jpg

131903728-S.jpg
It doesn't matter where you turn your head in Queenstown, everything is picturesque. This is in Queenstown park.
131895513-S.jpg

132911363-S.jpg

131903734-S.jpg

132909934-S.jpg
Ducks Everywhere! Such entertaining little creatures.
131903737-S.jpg
In the broad daylight the water seems to take on a grey/green colour but as it moves towards dusk it becomes the beautiful colour above.
131903752-S.jpg
Sometimes I felt as though I were in a little European seaside town.
132911372-S.jpg
Moving on from Queenstown (tearfully) and on to Te Anau, the closest point to the Milford Sound Cruise (2.5 hrs by coach).
132909928-S.jpg
Phew, sulphur and flies but once you get on the vessel you just enjoy the slow cruise, passing dolphins, a single penguin and warring seals along the the way.
131908133-S.jpg
There's gold in them there hills apparently. But its protected.
And lastly Christchurch with very Victorian buildings. A charming city.
131909133-S.jpg
Flora and fauna along the way.
132911389-S.jpg

131909110-S.jpg

132911394-S.jpg
The End :)

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Katt wrote:
    cont...
    View from the Helicopter
    Next is the beach at Hokitika. Hokitika seemed to be quite flat, clean, wide streets, few cars, plenty of arts and crafts.
    Their beaches are covered in drift wood that comes from the tree avalanches that happen on the mountains.
    People make wood sculptures with them all along the beach - its like an outdoor gallery. Its really beautiful.
    The End :)

Hi Katt, yup New Zealand has some pretty amazing places to visit
    Got more sheep than people, and its pretty dang green over there, very fertile land.
    I love the Mountain shots clap.gifclap.gif thanks for sharing.
    .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Great photo's, I did a similar trip 2 years back and your shots brought back many fond memories. Especially Franz joseph, I didn't do the helicopter flyover which looked amazing but I did do the full day hike on the glacier. Nice pics, if there is more keep em coming thumb.gif
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Katt, yup New Zealand has some pretty amazing places to visit
    Got more sheep than people, and its pretty dang green over there, very fertile land.
    I love the Mountain shots clap.gifclap.gif thanks for sharing.
    .... Skippy

Girlfriend of mine kept Baaaing at me every time she called, preparing me for conversation in NZ lol.
    I just had a look at your site - really beautiful photos - my favourite pick is the light shining through the leaves.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    mushy wrote:
    Great photo's, I did a similar trip 2 years back and your shots brought back many fond memories. Especially Franz joseph, I didn't do the helicopter flyover which looked amazing but I did do the full day hike on the glacier. Nice pics, if there is more keep em coming thumb.gif

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I'm happy also I have so many photos to be able to remember it by.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    I'm very jealous, I'd love to be there, thanks for sharing!

Charlie