Options

Cry for HELP!

DLutzDLutz Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited March 5, 2007 in People
First post here, not a photo newbe but always willing to learn/try new things. So Ok fooling around and I just had to place this shot together, Laura was more than a willing subject, so what do you think?

CRW_1296.jpg
--Daniel
"Capturing Moments in Time Since 1975"
For more of my images check out my photo blog:

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 4, 2007
    oh man-

I just got up and I think I need to go back to bed-

this photo begs so many questions I don't even want to start-

I think it's interesting and creative-

you don't ever start at the shallow end, do you-

anyway, glad you're here-

welcome to the forum-

will take a look at your blog-
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    oh man-

I just got up and I think I need to go back to bed-

this photo begs so many questions I don't even want to start-

I think it's interesting and creative-

you don't ever start at the shallow end, do you-

anyway, glad you're here-

welcome to the forum-

will take a look at your blog-

Thanks for the welcome... I thought about slowly wading in but what the heck full steam ahead, now maybe my other work will be boring :snore
    --Daniel
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    DLutz wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome... I thought about slowly wading in but what the heck full steam ahead, now maybe my other work will be boring :snore

hah!-

doubt that-

when I saw that you lived in west tennessee I didn't realize that you lived in west, tennessee-

I live in east tennessee, not east, tennessee-
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Being from Tennessee we know it is one state, but there are vast differences from east to west Laughing.gif

Here is a different shot from the same day.

--Photo Removed--
    --Daniel
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    neat portrait-

not sure I would hang it in the living room though-

is that a tear?- if so, I think it needs work, but I'm no tear expert-

re parts of tennessee-

yes, I'll admit it; I'm an east tennessee snob-

some big socioeconomic differences, probably much moreso way back when-

from all that I've read, pretty much pro union during the civil war-
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    The first one made me laugh. Nice idea and execution.

I like the tear in the second one, an image I find somewhat disturbing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I find them both disturbing...

Very cool. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    DLutz wrote:
    Being from Tennessee we know it is one state, but there are vast differences from east to west Laughing.gif

Here is a different shot from the same day.

I find these shots disturbing too, this young girl looks all of about 14 years old ??? ...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Very clever. The age of the girl does not disturb me. In fact I think it emphasises that young people often feel trapped and cannot express themselves to ask for help via conversation and often their actions (as in this case hand gesture) is their cry for help. It is a strong image.
    Keep them coming.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Very clever. Keep them coming.

Thanks, but the masses dictate that I remove them, as they were evidently bothering to many folks
    --Daniel
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I was too quick on the post button. Please read my comment again. As for the image I think Cody for example posts much more dramatic photos with people faces covered in blood and to date no moderator asked him for removal of the photos. If in doubt as the moderator.
    DLutz wrote:
    Thanks, but the masses dictate that I remove them, as they were evidently bothering to many folks
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    I was too quick on the post button. Please read my comment again. As for the image I think Cody for example posts much more dramatic photos with people faces covered in blood and to date no moderator asked him for removal of the photos. If in doubt as the moderator.

Being new here the last thing I want to do is offend anyone, from the comments I have gotten I feel this was the right action to take.
    --Daniel
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    DLutz wrote:
    Being new here the last thing I want to do is offend anyone, from the comments I have gotten I feel this was the right action to take.
    I didn't see the images, but it's not the moderators who asked they be removed.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 4, 2007
    DLutz wrote:

The masses can not dictate anything, only a moderator (in certain instances) or your conscience...

I saw the pictures and was formulating a meaningful response when you removed them.

IMHO you did yourself an injustice by removing them and not garnering more input from "the masses"
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I didn't see the images, but it's not the moderators who asked they be removed.

No moderators asked me to pull the images, I just didn't realize the powerfull impact of my photos... I hope that is a good thing but I cannot stress the importance of others feelings... I have added a warning to the title and replaced the first image, I will see what happens.
    --Daniel
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 4, 2007
    DLutz wrote:

OK, so... photographically, I think you have a good capture. good light, very good bokeh and an interesting composition, although I don't like that you clipped off one fingertip.

creatively... while I don't fully understand what you're trying to convey it's not my place to "question" the art
    however I would make two observations. If you are trying to show some level of distress in this image then I would be looking for a more convincing glare in her eyes. And I would prefer to see her right hand in play also; as it is, it's a passive participant in the composition.

side note: anyone else see a man's face just above the handcuff on her right hand? (insert twilight zone theme music here) lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    OK, so... photographically, I think you have a good capture. good light, very good bokeh and an interesting composition, although I don't like that you clipped off one fingertip.

creatively... while I don't fully understand what you're trying to convey it's not my place to "question" the art
    however I would make two observations. If you are trying to show some level of distress in this image then I would be looking for a more convincing glare in her eyes. And I would prefer to see her right hand in play also; as it is, it's a passive participant in the composition.

side note: anyone else see a man's face just above the handcuff on her right hand? (insert twilight zone theme music here) lol3.gif

Thanks Angelo,
    I see the man... spooky I tried to get her to be more distressed but she was content to giggle through most of the shoot, she spent the weekend here and I listened to her plight as she feels being young (16) and no one seeing her for a person at school or at home, she is a lovely girl with a smart mind, she feels traped and I wanted to give her some images for her to use on her myspace page where she writes her potery. here is a different one that I thought looks good as a black & white conversion.

CRW_1310.jpg
    --Daniel
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    I hope you did not take my comments the wrong way. I like the images, they provoke a feeling... is that not what was intended.

I am a lot harder to offend than that....
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    DLutz - Welcome to the forum. I love this place and I think you will as well.

I have observed that it is very, very difficult to seriously offend anyone here. The vast majority are very interested in dynamic, thought provoking images; particularly images that depart from the mainstream.

FWIW, I would plead with you to continue posting your images. I find them very positive and thought provoking. Love them.

I really like the first image. I'm not quite sure what the mouth in the hand is meant to symbolize, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Keep up the good work and continue posting. You images will only add to the depth of the discussions here.