Can we set up default page style?

ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
edited March 4, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am a standard user. As the subject asks. Is there anywhere where I can set the style (smugmug, traditional, etc.) to a default so that when anyone first views my galleries, it displays in that style?

I have friends who are behind corporate firewalls. Since the recent 'upgrade" to smugmug, they can not see any images on pages with the the "smugmug" style. They can, using "traditional"

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    ghealy wrote:
    I am a standard user. As the subject asks. Is there anywhere where I can set the style (smugmug, traditional, etc.) to a default so that when anyone first views my galleries, it displays in that style?

I have friends who are behind corporate firewalls. Since the recent 'upgrade" to smugmug, they can not see any images on pages with the the "smugmug" style. They can, using "traditional"
    There is not a way to do this. But we'd like to know more. Can you email me, at the help desk http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal ATTN: Andy, and copy one of your friends who is having this trouble? We'd like to understand more about the issue, as we are not aware of a global problem such as this. I'm certain we can troubleshoot it and solve it, and, on the odd chance that we've missed something with our new style, we'll know more about how to fix it.

This could be a java-related issue, if they go to www.sun.com and update their java (free) it will likely be fixed. Just a thought.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    There is not a way to do this. But we'd like to know more. Can you email me, at the help desk http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal ATTN: Andy, and copy one of your friends who is having this trouble? We'd like to understand more about the issue, as we are not aware of a global problem such as this. I'm certain we can troubleshoot it and solve it, and, on the odd chance that we've missed something with our new style, we'll know more about how to fix it.

This could be a java-related issue, if they go to www.sun.com and update their java (free) it will likely be fixed. Just a thought.

Andy, is the Smugmug style using Java now? I know it uses JavaScript like crazy now, but that's in the browser, not in Java from Sun. Is there something in the new Smugmug style besides one uploader that uses Java?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Thanks Andy for the quick reply.

I am certain that the issue is java or java script related. As mentioned, these PCs are behind corporate firewalls and restricted in what is allowed on the PC. No Flash, no Java, No Javascript. No sites that identify themselves as storage. (I can get to my page directly, but not to Smugmug's home page.) So updating Java is not a viable solution.

FWIW, when you guys introduced showing large images in what I think you call a "lightbox"(??), this never worked on these PCs. Now my pages have a similar problem.

The top section of the page (Smugmug logo, search, style down to the gallery description show but nothing else. We do see a small circular thingie that seems to indicate that something is loading, but nothing ever does unless you know about changing the style to something other than "Smugmug".

Suspect the problem is you need java, and java is not allowed. <Shrug> C'est la vie as they say up here. <smile>. Was hoping I could simply change the default style. I can't. <shrug>

If you think we still need to follow-up on this, I have no problem sending that e-mail you requested in case it might help someone else.

Thganks.
    edited March 4, 2007
    ghealy wrote:
    Thanks Andy for the quick reply.

I am certain that the issue is java or java script related. As mentioned, these PCs are behind corporate firewalls and restricted in what is allowed on the PC. No Flash, no Java, No Javascript. No sites that identify themselves as storage. (I can get to my page directly, but not to Smugmug's home page.) So updating Java is not a viable solution.

FWIW, when you guys introduced showing large images in what I think you call a "lightbox"(??), this never worked on these PCs. Now my pages have a similar problem.

The top section of the page (Smugmug logo, search, style down to the gallery description show but nothing else. We do see a small circular thingie that seems to indicate that something is loading, but nothing ever does unless you know about changing the style to something other than "Smugmug".

Suspect the problem is you need java, and java is not allowed. <Shrug> C'est la vie as they say up here. <smile>. Was hoping I could simply change the default style. I can't. <shrug>

If you think we still need to follow-up on this, I have no problem sending that e-mail you requested in case it might help someone else.

Thganks.
    Our site has always been dependant on javascript and java (like your friends experienced with Lightbox). SmugMug Ajax is javascript dependent, yes.

One solution for places that block this is to force a gallery to traditional, for example, and see if they can view it then?
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Our site has always been dependant on javascript and java (like your friends experienced with Lightbox). SmugMug Ajax is javascript dependent, yes.

One solution for places that block this is to force a gallery to traditional, for example, and see if they can view it then?

And for a standard user, is there a way to "force a gallery to traditional"?

We have no problem seeing traditional from behind the firewall. But traditional is a style and you have already stated we (standard users) can not choose a default style other than "smugmug". (Or at least that was what I understood from your initial reponse to my question. <smile>.)
    edited March 4, 2007
    ghealy wrote:
    And for a standard user, is there a way to "force a gallery to traditional"?
    Oh - my bad, I'm sorry, there is not.

I wish I had a better answer for you - some companies don't want their employees looking at photos - so they take measures against it. It stinks.
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Oh - my bad, I'm sorry, there is not.

I wish I had a better answer for you - some companies don't want their employees looking at photos - so they take measures against it. It stinks.

Appreciate your time, Andy. Thanks