Auto-color not totally infallible, right?

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited March 5, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I know how much Auto-color is raved about - and I agree! It really does a great job... almost every time. Tell me, though, for these two shots, would the Auto-color version look better in print? On screen, I like the originals better (even though I think the first one should be brighter, somehow):

133468188-S.jpg 133469692-S.jpg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Here you go, your originals on top, i2e Auto Color on the bottom :)

133468188-L.jpg133469692-L.jpg
    133708945-L.jpg133709002-L.jpg
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    As you smug little smiley emoticon implies, YES! those are defintely improved!
    :)

Here's what SmugMug shows me when I go to Color Effects and check out Auto Color - not as good me thinks. Are they using the same software?

autocolorsample1eh8.jpg
    edited March 4, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    As you smug little smiley emoticon implies, YES! those are defintely improved!
    :)

Here's what SmugMug shows me when I go to Color Effects and check out Auto Color - not as good me thinks. Are they using the same software?

No, color effects auto is not the same. We'll get there, someday, but it's not. You can get your own i2e at a special "ClubSmug" deal, you know:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51034
    edited March 4, 2007
    Roger that! I did read that thread - looks great. I just thought that since they were both being referred to as "Auto Color", and you were so enthusiastic about i2e, I assumed that SmugMug had licensed their algorithm. Good to know.
    Andy wrote:
    No, color effects auto is not the same. We'll get there, someday, but it's not.
    Maybe someday, indeed!

So, just to be totally clear: Color effects "Auto" not-equal i2e Auto. And, when I configure my print settings for my galleries, and I choose Auto, it is going to do what Color effects Auto does, right?
    edited March 4, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    Roger that! I did read that thread - looks great. I just thought that since they were both being referred to as "Auto Color", and you were so enthusiastic about i2e, I assumed that SmugMug had licensed their algorithm. Good to know.Maybe someday, indeed!

So, just to be totally clear: Color effects "Auto" not-equal i2e Auto. And, when I configure my print settings for my galleries, and I choose Auto, it is going to do what Color effects Auto does, right?
    No. When you configure your galleries for Auto Color it is for when prints are made, we'll run them through i2e at the lab.
    edited March 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No. When you configure your galleries for Auto Color it is for when prints are made, we'll run them through i2e at the lab.
    OH! Wow- I was really confused! Yeah, y'all need to get that i2e integration into SmugMug's Color Effects. I had been using that to spot check what would be done if I turned on Auto for prints!!
    At least I get it now. Thanks!