Smugmug/EM/Flickr'ish multi-user gallery...?

ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited April 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
is there anything out there as good as SmugMug et al for multi-user environments?

i've tried them all at some stage, Menalto (1&2), Coppermine, 4images, etc etc, but i've always been frustrated by them being just *not quite* what i want, and then you spend time hacking it to make it how you want and suddenly a new version comes out and you find yourself with your own branch.

i'd like to support anywhere from 20-500 users, a private zone for each member but more-so a system that is extremely easy to use and..... well, SmugMug for multi-users.

Comments

• ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    :Dboomp:D

any hosted sites that stay at the forefront?

i'm just sick of maintaining the back-end of gallery systems, i don't have time anymore! hence why i'm with smugmug for my personal stuff, but i want to host something for my users too.
    edited March 8, 2007
    *sigh*

after trying out coppermine again (after a couple years hiatus) it seemed a really good product... 2 MAJOR issues though have made me abandon it again...

1) inability to administer user albums... that's utter stupidity not having any way to do housewerk on your members albums.

2) very low upload limits. a 1600px picture causes no end of errors in the system, the only options are to up your memory stuff in php.ini, however i don't own the server company so that's a no-go. option 2 is to resize pics before upload... duh! why the f&*# do you think i'm using a gallery system to start with!!!!

many of my members aren't computer savvy, i just want them to be able to upload their pic and be done with it.

please, is there anything out there? a dedicated hosted Photopost gallery system maybe? :cry
    edited April 23, 2007
    :D bump :D

have been using coppermine as it's the lesser of all the evils, but it still blows.

---> http://aussieexotics.com/drivers

so still just occasionally searching for hosted gallery solutions.... lah dee dah :cry
  • EileronEileron Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Not to be...uh...concerned, but you're basically asking the people at Smugmug how to build your own Smugmug. No offense, but I wouldn't really expect a response.

In terms of a gallery software, I only ever used Gallery2.2, but the bloatiness and the sheer amount of space it took up on the web server got to me. Point for point, though, it's about 12,000x more customizable than anything any photo sharing service could ever be, thanks to the modules you can add. But obviously that can easily be a downside.
    edited April 25, 2007
    Eileron wrote:
    Not to be...uh...concerned, but you're basically asking the people at Smugmug how to build your own Smugmug.

not at all, i'm asking if something already exists! smugmug is great for a single photographer, i want to host a gallery for a bunch of other people though and nothing i've come across is exactly what i want.
    Eileron wrote:
    In terms of a gallery software, I only ever used Gallery2.2, but the bloatiness and the sheer amount of space it took up on the web server got to me. Point for point, though, it's about 12,000x more customizable than anything any photo sharing service could ever be, thanks to the modules you can add. But obviously that can easily be a downside.

i used Menalto Gallery1 and Gallery2 for a long time, it had loads of great options but the bloat was completely incomprehensible and in the end i had to kill it off. it had soooo many options that were *almost* what i wanted but not quite and so was frustrating.