Local Bands in a Dive Bar

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in People
This was my second attempt at doing some Heavy Metal Band photography. I took the flash this time and I think it made a world of difference.

Only lighting was two can lights (both red), two beer signs, and my FL 50 flash.

A few of the shots:

133794268-L.jpg

133793466-L.jpg

133794038-L.jpg

133793758-L.jpg

133789006-L.jpg

133787410-L.jpg

133784221-L.jpg

C&C always welcome.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    I think that these are some great captures in very less than optimal circumstances. I really enjoyed looking through them. I especially like the first one - great capture and nice lighting.

What equipment were you using, is this the E-500? - what ISO setting were these taken at?
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    I agree, nice job with the flash. It isn't overpowering.

Could you dscribe your technique?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I agree, nice job with the flash. It isn't overpowering.

Could you dscribe your technique?
    bauerman wrote:
    I think that these are some great captures in very less than optimal circumstances. I really enjoyed looking through them. I especially like the first one - great capture and nice lighting.

What equipment were you using, is this the E-500? - what ISO setting were these taken at?

wxwax and bauerman - thanks for the post

My shoot a few weeks ago I went without a flash afraid I was going to be a distraction or blind the bands. I took it this time and just asked each band before hand if it was okay I shot with the flash. They were all excited to have me shoot.

These are all with the Olympus E-500 and the FL50 flash.

Only thing I kept constant was ISO 400 which I got from looking at other band photos here on dgrin.

Otherwise F stop varied from 2.8 to 3.5

Shutter varied from 1/80 to 1/3 (to get the slightly blurred effects)

Flash was mounted on the camera set at slow2 and also stepped down -.3 to -1.3 & used the built in bounce piece and bounced off the wall and ceiling as well.

I even turned the camera upside down and bounced off the floor to see how it would work - it was very awkward! rolleyes1.gif I am going to see if a flash bracket could be mounted to have the flash underneath instead of above the camera- therefore I could still hold the camera upright.

Post process is simply Iphoto- some b&w conversions, crop, contrast, exposure, sharpen, and some temp adjustment to blue to reduce the red. Just varied depending on the shot. Some actually have nothing but sharpen and crop!! wings.gif

Really this was just a learning experience that worked out pretty well. I shot over 200 shots in 2.5 hours and didn't even stay to watch all the bands. After 4 bands I was done- had enough of fighting with the mosh pit guys!

I haven't finished the gallery yet but you can see the rest of the decent pictures here.

wxwax- your last band shots were very good too! I would like to find some bands a little more mellow and with less hair to shoot sometimes. :D

Thanks

Aaron Newman

edited March 6, 2007
    Here is two more.

This one gives you an idea how dark it was.
    133795349-L.jpg

One of the slower shutter shots that I like- "Hands on Fire" effect to it

133792687-L.jpg

Aaron Newman

edited March 6, 2007
    Really like that last one! Looks like his fingers are on fire - nice effect. I think that the bounced flash worked well.

Have you ever tried using some kind of reflector card attached to your flash - so that the flash is still pointed to the ceiling but some of its power is being directed onto the subject? Not sure if that would work - but I have shot a couple of weddings that way when the ceilings were too high for bounced flash.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
    edited March 6, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Really like that last one! Looks like his fingers are on fire - nice effect. I think that the bounced flash worked well.

Have you ever tried using some kind of reflector card attached to your flash - so that the flash is still pointed to the ceiling but some of its power is being directed onto the subject? Not sure if that would work - but I have shot a couple of weddings that way when the ceilings were too high for bounced flash.

Yes- The FL50 flash has a little reflector/diffuser that slides out - which I was useing as a reflector and flash angled at 45 degrees. I have aslo made the homemade bounce card out of Foamies and shoot with that regularly (my family shoot from Sunday was shot with it).

Aaron Newman

edited March 6, 2007
    Have you ever tried and had success with any of the Stofen products- which is the big piece of white plastic (diffuser) that fits tightly over the flash head?
    edited March 6, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Have you ever tried and had success with any of the Stofen products- which is the big piece of white plastic (diffuser) that fits tightly over the flash head?

I was looking for one last week. Both camera shops that I use did not have the Sto-Fen for the FL50. One had it for the FL36 but I opted not to drive out there and get it.

I am curious about it and would like to try it out- even the Gold and Green ones they have. Just don't want to drop $60 on the 3 colors without seeing it work when it cost me $3 to make 3 homemade bounce cards.

Their site is not top notch either and doesn't have a lot of example photos- which contributes to my hesitance.

Aaron Newman

edited March 6, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I was looking for one last week. Both camera shops that I use did not have the Sto-Fen for the FL50. One had it for the FL36 but I opted not to drive out there and get it.

I am curious about it and would like to try it out- even the Gold and Green ones they have. Just don't want to drop $60 on the 3 colors without seeing it work when it cost me $3 to make 3 homemade bounce cards.

Their site is not top notch either and doesn't have a lot of example photos- which contributes to my hesitance.

I, too, want to try the Stofen product and see what kind of results I can get. On the surface it seems like a better use of the flash power than just pointing straight up and using the reflector card................
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Hi Aaron, These are great! I especially like the ones showing motion blur. You nailed it pretty good. I'd like to hope that I had some influence in prompting you to try itmwink.gifmwink.gifmwink.gif . That E500 is no slouch. Use it well and have a s--t load of fun:ivar :ivar :ivar

Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited March 6, 2007
    Hi Aaron, These are great! I especially like the ones showing motion blur. You nailed it pretty good. I'd like to hope that I had some influence in prompting you to try itmwink.gifmwink.gifmwink.gif . That E500 is no slouch. Use it well and have a s--t load of fun:ivar :ivar :ivar

Bob

Right you are Bob. I didn't understand it until I tried it and ......obviously it made a difference. bowdown.gif:D

Aaron Newman

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    love the fiery hands
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com