Man’s Reflective Moment

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited March 10, 2007 in People

Man_s-Reflective-Moment-on-steps-of-Opera-House-IMG_20070302_7243.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=7a76b44901088bbf0a65149aa5a0cfff
I’ve caught a moment of deep reflection in this man’s face as he was sitting on the Sydney Opera House steps.

To see a bigger image or EXIF please click on the link or the image.

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    awesome capture and fantastic b&w conversion, great range. i love the pose too. very well done!clap.gif

the only thing i would change is the little guy to the left, maybe crop him out.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Great exposure, composition & light.
    It looks particularly grainy for ISO200. Possibly your sharpening method or you added it?
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Thank you.

As for the man of the left I've considered cloning him out and than decided the scale between him and the main character amplifies the depth to the scene and thus left it in. So, perhaps it is not the best for the composition and it seems to add to the perspective.

binghott wrote:
    awesome capture and fantastic b&w conversion, great range. i love the pose too. very well done!clap.gif

the only thing i would change is the little guy to the left, maybe crop him out.
    edited March 5, 2007
    Thanks Owen. The colour original RAW doesn't look grainy at all so perhaps this is introduced by a plugin I've used for the b&w conversion. I'll have to pay a bit more attention in the next process and see if I can pin point what does that. I seldom use any noise reduction filters unless the noise really bugs me, which it doesn't in this case.

Owen wrote:
    Great exposure, composition & light.
    It looks particularly grainy for ISO200. Possibly your sharpening method or you added it?
  • leekleek Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Another great portrait Ted... Did you talk to him at all?? Your photo begs the question why he was sitting barefoot on the SOH steps...

P.S. If you want an additional local audience for your work, come and join us at http://digitalslr.com.au/forum
    Cheers, John

Leek's Smugmug Gallery
    Nikon D200, D70; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4; 18-70mm; 105mm; 80-400VR; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    I’ve caught a moment of deep reflection in this man’s face as he was sitting on the Sydney Opera House steps.

To see a bigger image or EXIF please click on the link or the image.

i think this is my favorite shot of yours in the 6 months or so i've been around. the exposure and conversion are brilliant, the man on the left adds so much depth and contrast. it's a very pensive yet rich image. i keep looking at it.

well done and thanks for sharing.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 10, 2007
    Thank you John and Lynn. This photo has brought me some very positive responses on various forums but has been a bit dormant here. The People forum has been very active recently and there is so many great photos to look at I am not surprised when people omit my posts.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    to me, an all round great shot, ted-
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Wonderful! I've been back several times to look trying to decide about the man in hte background.... I am fine either way, I've decided! There or gone!

Try using Lightroom for your B&W conversions - does an awesome job. And you won't get that grain. (Although I don't mind it.)

Awesome!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    This is really wonderful! I just love it. One of those I want to keep going back to look at again...love the B&W, the pose, expression, lighting..great capture!! clap.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Super cool, Ted!

I absolutely love the guy's expression, it's a great capture!
    I must add that it's framed quite tight, considering the sides & bottom, but that's a good thing, it adds to the shot.

Looking at it, sometimes, it appears like the guy is smoking or something, by the way he holds his hand to his face... but that's just a weird thought of mine eheheh! :D

Finally, I have to say the B&W conversion is really nice, as well as the fact you got really close to the man to get this shot (28mm! eek7.gif)!

It's just the kind of shot that shows you're a great street photographer!
    Please keep posting them!

All the best!

-- thiago