I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Ive seen it advertised before. Photography is exactly the same as most other things in life...you get what you pay for & that to me looks like a bucket of camel spit.

1300mm @f16 with the elcheapo 2xTC for just $269.95 ? No thank you.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 5, 2007
    But, but, but Gus,

It's an Opteka!!:D :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    But, but, but Gus,

It's an Opteka!!:D :D
    ...and it also has "precision optics" written on the box.

I must admit though...it does look handy in the event of dog attack.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    gus wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I ran into a guy shootin a canon 20D with one of the 500-1000 opteka hooked to it.....and he was so proud that he could shoot someones license plate 2 blocks away and read it clearly.....to me it was very soft and fuzzy around the edges....but that was just me a non canon user..so I wasn't sure if it was the lens or the camera...or both:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I ran into a guy shootin a canon 20D with one of the 500-1000 opteka hooked to it.....and he was so proud that he could shoot someones license plate 2 blocks away and read it clearly.....to me it was very soft and fuzzy around the edges....but that was just me a non canon user..so I wasn't sure if it was the lens or the camera...or both:D
    No question in my mind. It was the lens or technique. Canon 20D is a spot-on camera.
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    id love to try one just for fun though.... anyone actually have one of these?? anyone have a link to pics taken with these? anyone wanna donate a Canon 100-400L to a worthy cause? anyone wanna kill me right now? lol,lol,lol..
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Gus wrote:

lol3.gif

Maybe i'm missing something, but doesn't the box say 650-1300? Where does the 2600 come from? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    lol3.gif

Maybe i'm missing something, but doesn't the box say 650-1300? Where does the 2600 come from? ne_nau.gif

It also comes complete with a 'High Definition' 2x multiplier, for that super-super zoom feel

This Guy wasn't happy with it
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    It also comes complete with a 'High Definition' 2x multiplier, for that super-super zoom feel
    Ah, thanks!

This Guy wasn't happy with it
    well, you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Another forum discussing this lens, including pics, here. i have linked to the 15th page where the pics start, but you can read the whole thing if you wish

I kinda like the one that shows the camera mounted to the lens. check the way the lens appears to bend down when fully extended 8-)

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    lol3.gif

A 2x extender comes with it.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I remember that thing. I also remember when the POTN thread got going. One of those guys biught it just for giggles to see if it worked. The amazing part was that is actually formed an image and it was recognizable. Other than that it's a pretty useless lens. f8-f16? And we're surprised AF doesn't work too well? Then you add their el-cheapo doubler?
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Another forum discussing this lens, including pics, here. i have linked to the 15th page where the pics start, but you can read the whole thing if you wish

I kinda like the one that shows the camera mounted to the lens. check the way the lens appears to bend down when fully extended 8-)

Andy

Well, at that length I supposed you should be able to see to the end of the world - maybe that's how they put the curvature of the earth in the image ne_nau.gif ?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    NEIGHBORHOODSPIDERMANNEIGHBORHOODSPIDERMAN Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2007
    Auh....yeah ....junk
    Dont Waste Your Money:d
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    gus wrote:

If you knocked all the rubbish glass out of it, you could probably use it to store wet umbrellas, too.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007

Andy
    lol3.gif Sure does.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2007
    Yech.

The moon with that abomination.

And here's a 100% of the moon with a Canon 300 f4.

Might be good for peeping toms and private eyes, but not for quality photography.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,877 moderator
    edited March 7, 2007
    Just think of it like a really big LensBaby. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yech.

The moon with that abomination.

And here's a 100% of the moon with a Canon 300 f4.

Might be good for peeping toms and private eyes, but not for quality photography.
    ...and again with a canon 400 L prime.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just think of it like a really big LensBaby. mwink.gif
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    gus wrote:
    ...and again with a canon 400 L prime.
    Beautiful, lovely detail.
    Sid.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited March 8, 2007
    I am currently working out the bugs of my prototype digital pinhole 1200mm lens. More information at a later date.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Patrick D. HarringtonPatrick D. Harrington Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2011
    Duckys54 wrote: »
    B000HGK80Y.01-A1P9QRDRYY6FXL._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Any heard of this or seen it before?

Link here

I picked an Opteka 650mm-1300mm lens up off Kijiji for $200 ( no 2x TC ). It's a manual focus lens, it is a little slow "f8-f16", but it gets you up close, really close, and it does it cheep! Don't listen to all the negative talk. If they do not have this lens they cannot comment, I have paid more for canon original extenders than this lens and it performs wellllllllllll beyond expectation. Sure image quality is not prize winning but if you can steady it, it is reasonably clear for the money. This is not a lens to be taken seriously for sports but the build quality is much better than some of the plastic canon kit lenses I have seen. If you have a serious project that requires professional quality it might not be the lens, I would probably recomend renting something like the 400mm f2.8 and try a Canon 2x extender on it. I do not regret purchasing this lens and anyone who cares to open there mouth to share their Magazine educated negative opinion with me can save their breath.

As for comparing this lens with 300mm or 400mm L primes?????? Are you for real? It's real impressive to hear about all the big buck glass everyone carries around in their bag but I think he was asking for feedback on this lens, not opening a telephoto-stroking thread! When I see someone post an image shot with a Sigma 200-500mm F2.8 APO EX DG or a Canon 1200mm f2.8, I will be impressed!

In the hands of a good Photographer or advanced hobbyist it might be an interesting and useful tool, cheep to buy and fun to play with, For a seasoned Pro on the job, not so much.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Is that a 5D in the picture?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 3, 2011
    I picked an Opteka 650mm-1300mm lens up off Kijiji for $200 ( no 2x TC ).
    [...]
    I do not regret purchasing this lens and anyone who cares to open there mouth to share their Magazine educated negative opinion with me can save their breath/
    So, let's see some samples. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    You dug up a four year old thread just to be hostile? Really?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Well I'm willing to be convinced. I would love to see some images from that lens.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Patrick D. HarringtonPatrick D. Harrington Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 30, 2013
    Lunar shots
    Seymore wrote: »
    Yea, show us what it can do Patrick.

very sorry for the late reply and I never meant to dig up an old thread or to be hostile, I just find it incredibly irritating how negative some people can be. This lens impressed me I have attached two links one is this Opteka 650-1300mm lens at about 1100mm the other is 100-400mm at 400mm Canon with 2x extender. There is noticeable CA but it is definitely workable for what it is.

http://patrickdharrington.smugmug.com/Other/Gallery-One/16051897_BsvNz8#!i=1441808614&k=MRpBzCF&lb=1&s=X2

http://patrickdharrington.smugmug.com/Other/Gallery-One/16051897_BsvNz8#!i=1219027507&k=pSshGRR