3-D flower shots

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited March 9, 2007 in Holy Macro
Some cross-eye stereogram flower shots. The last one was a PP accident but I liked the colour (should be yellow/white)
Brian V.

Click on Pics for larger size

411641063_26aa7a40a5.jpg

411641069_cfefc3b8bb.jpg

411650539_ec1a6df60e.jpg

411650544_f14dc0a379.jpg

411650550_d4447b284e.jpg

Comments

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Beautiful shots! once again.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Some cross-eye stereogram flower shots. The last one was a PP accident but I liked the colour (should be yellow/white)
    Brian V.

Ahhhh another beautiful series of images I cannot make work for me rolleyes1.gif
    Ohhhhh well one of these days I will figure out how to be cross-eyed rolleyes1.gif
    ...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Thanks Stu and Skippy :)
    You're going to have to learn to view these skippy :)
    In the meantime two of the above shots.
    Brian V.

411641060_19e5365084.jpg

411650551_db0aece035.jpg

• zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Nice LV very nice!!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Beautiful work as usual. Thanks for sharing thumb.gif
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Wonderful as always!!! clap.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Thanks Stu and Skippy :)
    You're going to have to learn to view these skippy :)
    In the meantime two of the above shots.
    Brian V.

411641060_19e5365084.jpg

411650551_db0aece035.jpg

These were the two that I liked the most by far. The 3-D effect was fantastic. Skippy, you have to really cross your eyes so that you see 3 distinct images from the two. Sorry you can't see these two.
    edited March 7, 2007
    Thanks for the kind comments all :)- glad you enjoyed them.
    Brian V.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Very cool as usual. I love these things.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited March 8, 2007
    TristanP wrote:
    Very cool as usual. I love these things.
    Thanks tristan :)
    Brian V.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 8, 2007
    Very nice Brian.

These shots are focused stacks are they also? There seems to be a great deal of DOF in the individual images. How do you caprture stereos? Do you move the cemra right/left a fixed amount - say 65mm or so? That is a typical interpupillary distance.

Skippy,

You will need to wear you bifocals to see these. Do you have normal stereopsis? Normal depth perception? Is your vision normal in both eyes?

If so, look at the computer screen and hold your finger up in front of your nose about 6-8 inches out. Look at your finger - this will converge your two eyes, now, gradually begin to look at the computer screen, and it should pop into three dimensional glory. It may take a few tries, but it looks lovely when it happens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 9, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very nice Brian.

These shots are focused stacks are they also? There seems to be a great deal of DOF in the individual images. How do you caprture stereos? Do you move the cemra right/left a fixed amount - say 65mm or so? That is a typical interpupillary distance.

Thanks for the comments Pathfinder. The first and last shot are focus stacked, so you end up doing quite a few shots for a stereo.
    Yes these 3-Ds are taken with what is called the cha-cha method- take 1 shot move sideways and take another shot. I then use a freeware prog stereophotomaker to put the shots together and align them properly both for horizontal alignment and also for the stereo depth.
    The amount of movement is not fixed at the eye space distance, it's linked to the nearest subject distance, so you are supposed to move approx 1/30th of the nearest subject distance (from the focal plane) so for macro shots that may be as little as 5mm but for flower shots it's around 10cms. I'm afraid I don't measure it I just do it but sometimes take a series of pan shots around the subject and find which pair works best.
    It's a bit of a hassle doing them but if you can freeview these I think the final result is worth it.
    Brian v.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    damn my lack of depth perception!

They are sweet when you separate the two images, copy them into their own layers on top of each other, and then turn the top layer on and off repeatedly. I did an animation in imageready, but since it's not my image I won't post it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited March 9, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    damn my lack of depth perception!

They are sweet when you separate the two images, copy them into their own layers on top of each other, and then turn the top layer on and off repeatedly. I did an animation in imageready, but since it's not my image I won't post it.
    No problems with you posting the result- Sounds like a 3-D wobblogram as I call them.
    Brian V.
  • destesdestes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    The depth on the two that are focused stacked are absolutly amazing. bowdown.gif I've never heard of this technique though, can you point me somewhere where I can find out more information on this.

Myself, I've played around with HDR a lot, and I notice there isn't any on this site. (a search for HDR turns up zero hits) What is the general feelings towards them on this forum. I know some sites don't like them at all. I try to keep my HDR's more realistic, not so saturated looking.
    Dale

Canon 30d
    EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM II
    EF 100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 USM
    Speedlight 380EX
    Sekonic L-28c2 Studio Deluxe

http://photography.daleestes.com
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    destes wrote:
    The depth on the two that are focused stacked are absolutly amazing. bowdown.gif I've never heard of this technique though, can you point me somewhere where I can find out more information on this.

Myself, I've played around with HDR a lot, and I notice there isn't any on this site. (a search for HDR turns up zero hits) What is the general feelings towards them on this forum. I know some sites don't like them at all. I try to keep my HDR's more realistic, not so saturated looking.
    Why not start a new thread with some examples of your HDR work? I'm sure you'll get a good idea of dgrin's general feelings about them if you do that. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited March 9, 2007
    destes wrote:

See http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/163367/ for a short tutorial on focus stacking.
    I'm sure I've seen some HDR threads here.
    Brian V.
  • destesdestes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Thanks Brian, I've DL'd the program and will be playing till the wee hours tonight. Read a lot of your tutorials also, great stuff.clap.gif
    Dale

Canon 30d
    EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM II
    EF 100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 USM
    Speedlight 380EX
    Sekonic L-28c2 Studio Deluxe

http://photography.daleestes.com