Options

WTB: Black backdrop

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited March 14, 2007 in The Kitchen Sink
I am in search of a black backdrop preferably not paper. Does not need to be on a roll.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I have this one and I really like it. It has gromets and a hem. I have hooks on my studio wall for the gromets and when i'm out in the field, it has a hem for my portable backdrop stand.

And it's washable.

-Trish
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I am in search of a black backdrop preferably not paper. Does not need to be on a roll.

You might want to check out your local fabrics store. I use black muslin fabric purchased from Joann Fabrics for a black backdrop. Not too expensive (especially when purchased with a 50% off coupon) and works really well.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    You might want to check out your local fabrics store. I use black muslin fabric purchased from Joann Fabrics for a black backdrop. Not too expensive (especially when purchased with a 50% off coupon) and works really well.

You know I was thinking that! We have some fabric here but it is so thin and will be going up against a white wall that once the flash goes off it will come through. Will have to look for some heavier stuff!
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    You know I was thinking that! We have some fabric here but it is so thin and will be going up against a white wall that once the flash goes off it will come through. Will have to look for some heavier stuff!

Try it out before you knock it - I thought the same thing until I tried ^_^. I actually picked up five king size jersey knit black sheet sets from Target and despite the fact that the fabric is quite thin, as long as it's up against the wall (or not backlit at least, so no outdoors stuff), I have yet to ever see my white walls shine through. For $100 I was able to pick up five 102x108" flat hunks of fabric, and I still have mattress covers to disassemble. I put drywall anchors in my ceiling about every foot apart, and picked up a mess of binder clips. It's not a "seamless" studio, but it works and it turned out to be a pretty reasonable price for me :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Try it out before you knock it - I thought the same thing until I tried ^_^. I actually picked up five king size jersey knit black sheet sets from Target and despite the fact that the fabric is quite thin, as long as it's up against the wall (or not backlit at least, so no outdoors stuff), I have yet to ever see my white walls shine through. For $100 I was able to pick up five 102x108" flat hunks of fabric, and I still have mattress covers to disassemble. I put drywall anchors in my ceiling about every foot apart, and picked up a mess of binder clips. It's not a "seamless" studio, but it works and it turned out to be a pretty reasonable price for me :D

I'm not knocking it just yet, going to do a feasability study first to see how it looks. Thanks for the tips though! thumb.gif
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:

You could probably back the muslin with black felt to keep any light coming through, and then you could likely even use it outdoors!
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I bought one from timwestbackgrounds.com on Ebay for $69.00. It is 10x12, has gromets, and a seamed hem for a rod. He has lots of them on Ebay or you can go to his store.

Another place is aurabackdrops@yahoo.com and yet another is skaeser@west.net. I have bought from all three and was very satisfied.

They have all sizes and colors. Hope this helps

p.s. They are muslin
  • Options
    Ronald S. Jr.Ronald S. Jr. Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I use the same brand as spider-t, but in the 10x24' size. Fantastic quality material. Very heavy, very sturdy, and well-hemmed. Works just fantastic. I think I got a 10x24' for around $120. Good deal, if you ask me.
    30D, 20D, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100 2.8 macro, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX, Custom Brackets
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I use a Black canvas like cloth I got at fabric store for my Flowers.

Durable but not real stiff......if your handy you can hem it yourself.

Might be $12-$15 total.
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I also bought mine from ebay.. 10x20 nice thick cotton backdrop. I think I paid about $60 for it. I use it all the time and I sure didn't go wrong.