Buying a new lens, need help

MoroCyclerMoroCycler Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited March 8, 2007 in Cameras
I own a Canon XT digital D350 and will like to buy a 28-300 lens (Sigma), I read it is not a sharp one at any focal lenght so I want to ask the experts if you can give me some advice on this subject.

I will like to have a handy, not bulky lens that I can carry easily.

Thanks
Humberto

Comments

• TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    MoroCycler wrote:
    I own a Canon XT digital D350 and will like to buy a 28-300 lens (Sigma), I read it is not a sharp one at any focal lenght so I want to ask the experts if you can give me some advice on this subject.

Thanks
    Humberto
    Do you have a price range in mind? The Canon 28-135 is a pretty well known walk around lens for around $300, and the Sigma 17-70 or 18-50 are also pretty liked in the same price range. Canon 17-85 IS runs around $400 and the Canon 70-300mm IS runs around $500. All depends on your price range. There are some decent Tamrons in this price range as well, but I don't know much about that brand.
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 6, 2007
    MoroCycler wrote:

Thanks
    Humberto

This is a consumer grade ultra-zoom. As long as you don't expect miracles, it does what it says. Probably best for static subjects and small image sizes. Web stuff and 4x6 prints should look OK with some USM. Use good technique at the long end because it's a fairly slow lens. (High ISO, smaller aperture, fastest shutter speed available.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MoroCyclerMoroCycler Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    Do you have a price range in mind? The Canon 28-135 is a pretty well known walk around lens for around $300, and the Sigma 17-70 or 18-50 are also pretty liked in the same price range. Canon 17-85 IS runs around $400 and the Canon 70-300mm IS runs around $500. All depends on your price range. There are some decent Tamrons in this price range as well, but I don't know much about that brand.

My price range is around $500 but I would prefer larger zoom lens. Could you recommend something?
    Thanks

Humberto
    edited March 8, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is a consumer grade ultra-zoom. As long as you don't expect miracles, it does what it says. Probably best for static subjects and small image sizes. Web stuff and 4x6 prints should look OK with some USM. Use good technique at the long end because it's a fairly slow lens. (High ISO, smaller aperture, fastest shutter speed available.)

Thanks Ziggy, do you have a better recommendation?

Thank you
    edited March 8, 2007
    MoroCycler wrote:
    My price range is around $500 but I would prefer larger zoom lens. Could you recommend something?
    Thanks

Humberto

I would suggest 2 lenses:

Used 28-75 F2.8 TAMRON XR ASPHERICAL MACRO DI, used "EX" condition at KEH for $275USD

New Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro, $190USD at B&H
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6974&A=details&Q=&sku=423725&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The first lens (28-75mm) is much better in low light and interior work. Nice general purpose lens. (Not as wide as I would like, but workable.) Several folks here have this lens and like it.

The second lens is passable from 70-200mm, then it gets softer than I like, but still usable for simple subject matter. Mostly an outdoor sunny lens, but could be used indoor with flash, if you can obtain focus. Not a true macro but passable as a close focus lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 8, 2007
    edited March 8, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Thank You Very much for the help!
    Humberto thumb.gif