Little boy in Siem Reap, Cambodia

LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited March 10, 2007 in People
Little boy in Siem Reap, Cambodia (town near Angkor temples)

lLittleboyDSC_0213.jpg

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D200
Image Date: 2007:01:13 20:59:00
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 200.0mm (35mm equivalent: 300mm)
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/9.0
ISO equiv: 500
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Comment: (C)L Lorton#p
New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Well done......
    I like this shot a lot. It does make me wonder about this boys situation in life, what he is thinking about and so forth. I’m also quite curious as to what he is holding in this shot…..do you know?

Nice exposure – and I like the placement of the subject in the frame. All of the different colored items on the ground are a little distracting. Maybe a tighter crop of just the boy from the waist up would work as well. It would eliminate a lot of the “noise” of the clutter at the bottom.

Really enjoyed this one – thanks for posting it.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    ^ On the contrary, I don't find them destracting at all. I think it makes the portrait more environmental, therefor interesting. Great exposure!
  • djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    I think all the "Clutter" makes the photo have feelings. It places the boy in an enviroment that makes a statement instead of a pretty portrait. This photo makes a person do a lot of reflecting on life and how we fit. I really like your composition and would not change it.
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    I'm with Owen on this - this is the boy in its environment. Looks spot on to me. Accidentally or intentionally the colours in here are great too.
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Great to have the opposing viewpoints in a thread as well for sure. I was just glad that I was able to pull this great photograph off page three or four and start getting it some attention..............
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    me, too.

I'm going to post another in hopes that it won't languish.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    I’m also quite curious as to what he is holding in this shot…..do you know?

I wonder if it is shoe polish?

I do like this picture quite a bit. And now that I am not scared of posting with you bigwigs, I shall let you know my feelings on the subject.
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Regarding the background, as Owen and Ted said, there is clutter and clutter...

Sure the background is cluttered, but the composition in this shot is key, it organizes the elements very nicely, so they don't appear distracting. And not only they aren't distracting, but they add to the picture by showing the environment. Really great work here!

Also, yeah, the colors are very cool... the picture looks like it was shot with film, which is very interesting as well!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Cheers!

-- thiago
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    the picture looks like it was shot with film, which is very interesting as well!

I appreciate all the kind remarks.

I do want to point out that this was shot with the 19-200 VR lens. Not the sharpest but, in this case, quite nice.

Thanks again.