Nikon Ergonomics

sw001sw001 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited March 10, 2007 in Cameras
Every review I've read about Nikon claims that the Nikon cameras are easier to use, have better laid out controls, make shooting easier, etc. I'm just curious why that is, and why Canon hasn't copied them more if that's the case?

I suppose I'm curious about the philosohpical differences that Canon and Nikon may differ on, as I'd guess if there was one really 'good' layout for a camera, it'd be more standard, right?

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    sw001 wrote:
    Every review I've read about Nikon claims that the Nikon cameras are easier to use, have better laid out controls, make shooting easier, etc. I'm just curious why that is, and why Canon hasn't copied them more if that's the case?

I suppose I'm curious about the philosohpical differences that Canon and Nikon may differ on, as I'd guess if there was one really 'good' layout for a camera, it'd be more standard, right?

There are some practical differences in ergonomics that immediatly come
    to mind:

A huge minus with Nikon for me is the low eyepoint on cameras like the D70/80.
    One really has to press the cam to the eye in order to see the whole frame.

On the other hand I can look trough my Canon 10D viewfinder from a
    centimeter away and still see the whole frame. Pentax also does it better
    than Nikon whereas it's viewfinder magnification and percentage are higher.

I've never shot with a Nikon for long but I can say surely that the controls
    of my Canon have become 2nd nature to me. As long as photographers can
    adapt to the controllayout of a camera and work fast and efficient
    with it philosophical differences in control layout are only of theoretical
    interest. Maybe you've just been takting too much to them evil Nikon guys mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 7, 2007
    sw001 wrote:

I have Canon (XT and 1D MKII) and my father has Nikon (D70). I have no problems jumping between systems and cameras. In a real crunch I will profess to mental lapses if I try to change too much too quickly, but I rapidly get back on track. No real problems.

While the Nikon camera has a more "traditional" layout to my background, (Pentax film SLRs mostly), the Canon 1D series is very similar in layout to the Canon 1 series film cameras, which haven't changed much in the last 8 years or so.

The XT did require a different mindset from my past, but it really wasn't that bad. (Layered menus instead of dials, and the one dial can have a number of "effects", depending on the "mode" and setup.)

The Nikon D40 is somewhat similar in design with only a single dial.

I regard all the discussion about ergonomics as a non-issue after a couple of weeks with any new system. Maybe I am just special. ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    I use a D50 and have had only a quick play with a rebel (not XT).

One thing I really like on the D50 (and all nikons I've seen) that wasn't possible on the Rebel is that I can pick it up, turn it on, and take a picture in one movement with one hand. Looking at some pictures of the Rebel XT they seem to have moved the power switch so it might be possible on that model (though I wouldn't think so) but I've not tried.

Also the rebels don't have LCD displays on the top of the camera where as all the nikons (except the newish D40) do.

Whether either of those matters to you is personal choice.

Other than that I'm sure you can get used to any half sensible menu system so I doubt that matters too much.
  • sw001sw001 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2007
    One thing I really like on the D50 (and all nikons I've seen) that wasn't possible on the Rebel is that I can pick it up, turn it on, and take a picture in one movement with one hand.
    I always leave my 20D on, is that unusual? Then I don't have to worry about turning it on. I couldn't turn it on and shoot with one hand though I suppose. Something I hadn't thought about.
    I regard all the discussion about ergonomics as a non-issue after a couple of weeks with any new system. Maybe I am just special
    I agree. I was just curious what any big differences were.

What about modes? I've read that Nikon's hav an aperture priority mode that will limit the shutterspeed somewhat (to make sure it doesn't get to low). Is that true, or anything else? I know with Canon's Av mode, its a pain at times to contanstly watch the shutter speed.
  • GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    sw001 wrote:

Addtionally, aside from layout and location of controls (which will either help or hinder a photographer depending on size of hands, fingers and dexterity), when I went digital from my Canon film bodies, I tried Canon of course but the Nikon D70 and subsequently the D200 just fit my hand better. Its like choosing a pistol, shotgun, golf club - some just fit better and allow you to function more efficiently without having to adjust the grip and aim. The same for a camera. I can pick up my D200 and instantly take a picture. With the Canons I have to adjust my grip which means distraction and lost time which may mean a lost opportunity.

Having said that, they are those who like the feel of Nikons, Canons, Fujis, etc - to each his own.

G
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    This is almost a religous argument. rolleyes1.gif

My big hands, and 20 years of shooting with Nikons make then the choice for me. Canon's annoy me, cause I don't think like a Canon shooter and I find that they fit better in smaller hands. YMMV.

Now, toss me a Canon and tell me to shoot and I'll figure it out... it's not like the ergo's are so bad that you can't shoot with the the things.

It's almost ALL a matter of preference.
    --Kres
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    To me, the feel of a camera isn't quite as important as the feel of driving a vehicle at higher speeds.

My most important criteria is the end result (the image), not the fact that I can switch the camera on with one hand. Cripes, I can't even play the piano with one hand, I have to use both of them.rolleyes1.gif

Now, if you really want to impress me, give me an easier system for lens mounting than the sysetm of: "align the dots, gently push in, twist until it locks" system that pretty well most DSLR's use.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    Now, if you really want to impress me, give me an easier system for lens mounting than the sysetm of: "align the dots, gently push in, twist until it locks" system that pretty well most DSLR's use.

You could always go back to screw mount. lol3.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    To me, the feel of a camera isn't quite as important as the feel of driving a vehicle at higher speeds.

My most important criteria is the end result (the image), not the fact that I can switch the camera on with one hand. Cripes, I can't even play the piano with one hand, I have to use both of them.rolleyes1.gif

I am kinda partial to the Practika mount.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sw001sw001 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2007
    Canon's annoy me, cause I don't think like a Canon shooter
    This is exactly what I'm curious about. Both systems essentially take a photo by pushing a button. How does one think like a Nikon user and not like a Canon user? I haven't been taking pictures with DSLR's for that many years, so I'm curious what I've missed.
    This is almost a religous argument.
    Just curious what's at the heart of each religon is all. :D I'm really jealous each time Nikon announces a cool new camera like the D200, though I imagine Nikon users get jealous at nice new Canon cameras too :). It is a shame the lenses don't fit on all models!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    sw001 wrote:
    Just curious what's at the heart of each religon is all. :D I'm really jealous each time Nikon announces a cool new camera like the D200, though I imagine Nikon users get jealous at nice new Canon cameras too :). It is a shame the lenses don't fit on all models!

Simple: an investment of thousands (or in many cases TENS-of-thousands) of dollars with a particular brand. Add in a need to validate that decision and there you are.

I have a Canon, my sister has a Nikon. We prod each other over it in fun, but really both cameras are very good and we can take pictures with either. I now find it a lot easier to pick up a Canon & know where everything is without having to examine the camera to find it; vice versa for my sister. It's just a matter of familiarity.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    sw001 wrote:
    This is exactly what I'm curious about. Both systems essentially take a photo by pushing a button. How does one think like a Nikon user and not like a Canon user? I haven't been taking pictures with DSLR's for that many years, so I'm curious what I've missed.

Exactly. Push the button, take a picture.

What you should do include two things. The first, and probably most
    important decision, is to decide which lenses you'll want. Glass will probably
    be the most expensive purchase and outlast the body you buy today.
    Then go and try the camera in your hands. Can you reach the controls
    you're likely to want to use (when you're shooting)? Does it feel comfortable
    in your hands?

Honestly, whether you choose Canon or Nikon doesn't matter.
    They've both got great cameras in their lineups.
    sw001 wrote:

AFL or NFL? Windows or Mac? I think you get the idea lol3.gif

Good luck with your decision.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?