Options

Slooow gallery performance after proof delayed order?

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited March 9, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Didn't want to hijack JimMs thread....

Since the SmugMug 'New', the proof delay image update process seems to be affected. After a client has placed an order, and I've uploaded corrected pics, when I go back to the gallery in the future (in this case its been two weeks), those images are blank in smugmug style, and my browser locks up when I click on them.

After leaving it alone for 5 minutes, the previews have loaded but when I click on individual pics, I see the updated filename, but the image window is black, blank, but the browser indicates it has loaded everything on the page. ETA: After 10 more minutes, everything is fully functional. For reference, I have a 3.02Ghz processor running on 2GB RAM, unlike 99% of my clientele.

Can we keep the image gallery unaffected by the proof delay updates somehow?

Lynne
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    if there's a bug or you guys are aware of the issue and working on it, that would be more helpful than nothing....

thanks...
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    if there's a bug or you guys are aware of the issue and working on it, that would be more helpful than nothing....

thanks...
    Hi, I've been traveling - don't forget, btw, that you can always write our help desk for answers that you need fast, really fast! 365 days a year, nearly round the clock, all major holidays, too :D

Can you tell us more about your browser you are using? And can you give us a link to one of the images?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I've been traveling - don't forget, btw, that you can always write our help desk for answers that you need fast, really fast! 365 days a year, nearly round the clock, all major holidays, too :D

Can you tell us more about your browser you are using? And can you give us a link to one of the images?

hello andy, sorry wasn't aware you were the only employee on the forum! granted, its not an emergency, and, i figured it was a more global issue. I guess I am unclear which issues we're supposed to email help desk, and which ones we're supposed to post on dgrin.

As far as my browser, I've experienced issues in IE6, Firefox on both my HP desktop and Sony laptop, both on T1 or Cable internet lines.

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/2375127#124592441

this image is an example of the blank boxes that show up. about half the images in that page are blank for an unacceptable period of time; they're also images that were ordered and updated via proof delay.

here's another gallery it's doing the same thing to

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/2336606#122254982
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    hello andy, sorry wasn't aware you were the only employee on the forum! granted, its not an emergency, and, i figured it was a more global issue. I guess I am unclear which issues we're supposed to email help desk, and which ones we're supposed to post on dgrin.
    I'm definitely not the only one on the forum :D But our helpdesk is the place to go for fast answers anytime. I and others from Smug answer questions here too. Where to go? Take your pick. But if you want the fastest help, go to http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal :)

As far as my browser, I've experienced issues in IE6, Firefox on both my HP desktop and Sony laptop, both on T1 or Cable internet lines.

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/2375127#124592441

this image is an example of the blank boxes that show up. about half the images in that page are blank for an unacceptable period of time; they're also images that were ordered and updated via proof delay.

here's another gallery it's doing the same thing to

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/2336606#122254982
    I'm seeing all those images just fine - have you flushed cache (temp files), closed and reopened?
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    I hate to be nosy here, but I've been following this thread and the other one about missing images. BWG asked for a Firebug screencap when the problem arose; when I clicked on Lynne's link many of the thumbnails were missing so here's what Firebug looked like. hth

134661409-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    Wierd. Launching Firebug, taking the screencap, uploading to Smugmug and creating the above post took a few minutes. When I went back to the tab with Lynne's site on it, all the images had loaded. The activity indicator at the top right showed it was done loading the page, but apparently it was still doing something. Firebug now shows this - note those thumbnails took 4.1 minutes to load...headscratch.gif

134662828-L.jpg
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 8, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Wierd. Launching Firebug, taking the screencap, uploading to Smugmug and creating the above post took a few minutes. When I went back to the tab with Lynne's site on it, all the images had loaded. The activity indicator at the top right showed it was done loading the page, but apparently it was still doing something. Firebug now shows this - note those thumbnails took 4.1 minutes to load...headscratch.gif
    hm, 4.1 minutes is a bit excessive. I dont think this is the main image problem, but thanks for the screenie.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    More data points:

I switched to page 2 and 5 thumbs were missing. Throbber or whatever it's called stops throbbing. Lower left says "done". FasterFox extension I have says the page loaded in 2.9 seconds. But I sit and watch it - lo and behold, after 3-1/2 minutes the missing thumbs just appear!

If you click on a missing thumb, sometimes the main image is there and sometimes it isn't. If you click on a thumb that is showing, on occasion the main image is blank. After a few minutes, everything appears and works normally.

I clicked around Lynne's site (phenominal portraits! Wow!) and most pages worked fine. Of the 3 pages of Cameron, page 1 and 3 were fine, and page 2 had the problem.

ne_nau.gifhth
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    More data points:

I switched to page 2 and 5 thumbs were missing. Throbber or whatever it's called stops throbbing. Lower left says "done". FasterFox extension I have says the page loaded in 2.9 seconds. But I sit and watch it - lo and behold, after 3-1/2 minutes the missing thumbs just appear!

If you click on a missing thumb, sometimes the main image is there and sometimes it isn't. If you click on a thumb that is showing, on occasion the main image is blank. After a few minutes, everything appears and works normally.

I clicked around Lynne's site (phenominal portraits! Wow!) and most pages worked fine. Of the 3 pages of Cameron, page 1 and 3 were fine, and page 2 had the problem.

ne_nau.gifhth

sorry, was out for a bit....

wow, DJ, thanks so much for validating my frustration in such great detail. Since I'm not a techie, I always fear that my inability to document and communicate in the proper vernacular prevents me from getting them solved. (not just at smugmug but in life! :D)

Thanks again, this is exactly what is happening to me in the Parker and Cameron galleries only (so far). Page says "done" but the thumbs take a long time to appear. I'm following up with the clients tomorrow to see what their experience has been like. Parker's family verbally indicated their order was to be placed last week. Now I suspect the galleries' performance is discouraging them.

Oh and thanks for the compliments...I am lucky to have adorable subjects.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm definitely not the only one on the forum :D
    of course I know this! I was being coy. :andy

Andy wrote:
    I'm seeing all those images just fine - have you flushed cache (temp files), closed and reopened?

can someone tell me how to do this in FF? I searched the menus and am afraid I only know how to do this in IE.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    of course I know this! I was being coy. :andy

can someone tell me how to do this in FF? I searched the menus and am afraid I only know how to do this in IE.

Tools ... options ... Advanced tab ... clear cache
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog