LPS # 1 Chilled or Steamy - Where I live

salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited March 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I haven't decided where I'm going with this challenge/contest yet so I'm just shooting to see what comes up. Here's one from today, straight form the camera, no PP. Any initial reactions?:
Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    I haven't decided where I'm going with this challenge/contest yet so I'm just shooting to see what comes up. Here's one from today, straight form the camera, no PP. Any initial reactions?:

It's interesting, but doesn't quite say chilled to me. I went out today in the morning and shot a bunch of shots with snow on the ground as well, but they don't say chilled to me either.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    It looks like your camera ISO was set to 1600+.
    You nailed it if your going for the ultra grainy look though.
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    I agree with pyroprints - it doesn't quite say 'chilled'. I think it may be the lighting. Perhaps the same photo at sunset or dawn may convey the meaning better...

Sunita
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Hi Salazar,

I saw your posts about the color variations between what you see in PS and what shows up here on dGrin and I do like the warmer (PS) version better, even though a bluish cast can convey cold. I hope you will keep shooting, though, because, while it is a very interesting photograph, the juxtaposition of Christ on the cross with the distant light house in a not very compelling landscape just doesn't pull together thematically to make the dramatic photograph I know you can create.

Virginia

Email
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Thank you for your replies everyone. It really helps. I wasn't ignoring you all, I just couldn't get to a computer.

Jesus on the cross looked cold to me but that may have been because I was. :D It was -20 C. (-4 F.) and windy when I took that one.

pyroPrints, sunita, I agree with you, just taking photographs of snow doesn't seem to say chilled, does it? I was mostly just shooting as I drove around doing work related stuff to see if something clicked. I didn't have a vision of what I was trying to do.

SloYerRoll, some of the grain may be fine blowing snow, I'm not sure. A Canon PowerShot A430 won't go above ISO 400, the grain I can't explain, except that it's a $150.00 camera and the attachment process is hard on photographs. I should really break down and get a SmugMug account soon. And perhaps a better camera.

Virginia, thank you for your faith in my imagination. You've got more than I do I'm afraid. We'll there's still a week and a half so I'll see what I can come up with.

Another one for your consideration. No PP yet, straight from the camera, taken a few minutes ago.

Breaking the Ice.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    I like that one way better. The lighting is much more interesting, as well as the floating ice. :D
  • LynieLynie Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    I like the second one a lot better too! It shows both chilled and steamy and I feel the picture has a lot more character as well. :D
    Lynie
    ~Life is like photography. You use the negatives to develop.~
    -Anonymous-
    :thumb