Mac Uploader problem

afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited March 10, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I just got a new macbook pro, and so downloaded the intel version of the mac uploader. Everything seems to be going well, but the photos are not appearing in my galleries in smugmug. In the past, the photos would show up just moments after finishing the upload, and even if they needed time to process, a placeholder would appear in the gallery. Now, nothing is appearing and the galleries are listed as having no photos at all.

Any thoughts? I'm at afarber.smugmug.com

Thanks!

Comments

• afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Now the uploader keeps "Quitting Unexpectedly". Argh...
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    The Mac uploader is not fully functional. I'd avoid it. SmugMug needs to get it fixed, and they haven't.

You can upload with the universal uploader (the java one on the upload page), or I really like SmugBrowser. It's currently in beta, but works great. The main reason it's in beta, I believe is that there are a bunch of features yet to come for it. But it works great.

Congrats on the new Mac! Holler if you need any help. Lots of MacHeads here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 8, 2007
    Thanks, David! Bummer about the uploader. I had a power pc powerbook before this and the uploader worked just fine. I tried the java uploader last night, and it was actually quite speedy. The only thing I miss from the mac uploader is the ability to upload directly from iphoto without having to drag and drop. Oh well, not a biggie.

Thanks also for the browser link! looks very cool. Is there any place with documentation?

DavidTO wrote:
    The Mac uploader is not fully functional. I'd avoid it. SmugMug needs to get it fixed, and they haven't.

You can upload with the universal uploader (the java one on the upload page), or I really like SmugBrowser. It's currently in beta, but works great. The main reason it's in beta, I believe is that there are a bunch of features yet to come for it. But it works great.

Congrats on the new Mac! Holler if you need any help. Lots of MacHeads here.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Sure. But I've been corrected, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Apparently the couple of bugs that remain in the uploader are pretty minor at this point, so the other thing to check is that you're uploading valid file formats with valid extensions, file size, etc.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Little WombatLittle Wombat Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    The Mac uploader works fine on my Powerbook... had no problems on an iBook previously.
    Jack

Canon PowerShot S3 IS
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sure. But I've been corrected, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Apparently the couple of bugs that remain in the uploader are pretty minor at this point, so the other thing to check is that you're uploading valid file formats with valid extensions, file size, etc.

the only known, repeatable bugs in the uploader are memory leaks for large batches. We have a version in testing now that hopefully fixes that, but if for any reason it doesn't clear testing (quite possible at this point), it could be a while before a new version is released.

As for troubleshooting the one you have downloaded, the first thing to try is to clear the preference file for the uploader. Close out the uploader, and search Finder for "com.smugmug.upload.plist" just delete the file and launch the uploader again.

Let me know if that doesn't work!
    Smug since 2003
    edited March 8, 2007
    I don't know if it's related to teh memory leak issue (not sure what that is), but I assume 41 images in not a large batch. I have also searched for the preference file, but did not find one.

I just tried uploading another iphoto gallery via the uploader, and again the uploader appears to work perfectly, but the images just don't appear in my smugmug gallery.
    Ben wrote:
    the only known, repeatable bugs in the uploader are memory leaks for large batches. We have a version in testing now that hopefully fixes that, but if for any reason it doesn't clear testing (quite possible at this point), it could be a while before a new version is released.

As for troubleshooting the one you have downloaded, the first thing to try is to clear the preference file for the uploader. Close out the uploader, and search Finder for "com.smugmug.upload.plist" just delete the file and launch the uploader again.

Let me know if that doesn't work!
    edited March 10, 2007
    Any thoughts, Ben? Thanks so much! I really miss the uploader app.