Olympus 550UZ

donrossdonross Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2007 in Cameras
Has anyone looked at this new digicam which looks like a good, light, long reaching Raw capable unit to use where weight and bulk are a problem?

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    donross wrote:
    Has anyone looked at this new digicam which looks like a good, light, long reaching Raw capable unit to use where weight and bulk are a problem?
    I have not seen this camera - however - I have played with the camera it replaced. The only complaint I had about the earlier version was that it did not have any image stabilization. But, this camera has sensor-shift image stabilization.
    I think the camera looks like a real winner. High megapixel count, image stabilization, looks like good ergonimics, amazing zoom range (18x - I don't know of another camera that has that), nice big screen, and it shoots RAW (a huge plus in my book because so many of the competitors made by other companies such as the Canon G7 DO NOT OFFER RAW ANYMORE). So, if I was looking for a camera in this range right now - I think this one would win by a landslide in my book.
  • YusYus Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2007
    I actually bought this camera a couple of weeks ago, and truth to tell, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the features and functions it contains. My camera before this was a fully-automatic Olympus, so I'm basically a beginner in this level of photography.

I took some shots as a start (about 300 of them :D ) and while a few of them are OK (to me, that is.. you guys would very likely say they're pretty shoddy rolleyes1.gif ), most of them are not good at all. Maybe because I don't know the proper techniques of taking photos, especially moving ones. A lot of blurred images there.

The camera has a mode for capturing moving objects but I found out that the snapping of image (what's the correct term for that?) is quite slow. By the time I heard the shutter sound, the object has already moved away. So I got a lot of blurred images. I guess I should increase the shutter speed, but as of today, that is still something of a mystery to me rolleyes1.gif

But no worries.. I intend to change that and be a good photographer like some of you people wings.gif

-Yus

Oh, by the way.. if any of you have some good tips regarding this camera, do share, please.. Greatly appreciate it bowdown.gif
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Yus wrote:
    I actually bought this camera a couple of weeks ago, and truth to tell, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the features and functions it contains. My camera before this was a fully-automatic Olympus, so I'm basically a beginner in this level of photography.

I took some shots as a start (about 300 of them :D ) and while a few of them are OK (to me, that is.. you guys would very likely say they're pretty shoddy rolleyes1.gif ), most of them are not good at all. Maybe because I don't know the proper techniques of taking photos, especially moving ones. A lot of blurred images there.

The camera has a mode for capturing moving objects but I found out that the snapping of image (what's the correct term for that?) is quite slow. By the time I heard the shutter sound, the object has already moved away. So I got a lot of blurred images. I guess I should increase the shutter speed, but as of today, that is still something of a mystery to me rolleyes1.gif

But no worries.. I intend to change that and be a good photographer like some of you people wings.gif

-Yus

Oh, by the way.. if any of you have some good tips regarding this camera, do share, please.. Greatly appreciate it bowdown.gif
    Good Afternoon,
    dcresource.com has a complete review of this camera. Check it out as it offers advice on settings and different RAW software to use. Hope this helps. Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • YusYus Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thanx. I had a look at the review and it's ok, I guess. Not really what I'm looking for since I already bought the camera :D but there are a few useful things there which I can use as guidelines.

I took some more photos and noticeably, the quality of outdoor photos is much better than indoor. Kind of annoying since I'm doing a lot of indoor sports shoots.

If any of you are interested, have a look at the photos I've taken.

http://ayusli.smugmug.com
  • monkymonky Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    i wanted this camera
    but after a few of the reviews and samples hit the net, i opted for the fuji s6000 intstead. its a larger camera, but significatnly less expensive, and better image quality. the only downside is a lack of stablization... but the fact that the noise level is so low makes up for it IMO.

just my .02
    donross wrote:
    ed murphy
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    monky wrote:
    but after a few of the reviews and samples hit the net, i opted for the fuji s6000 intstead. its a larger camera, but significatnly less expensive, and better image quality. the only downside is a lack of stablization... but the fact that the noise level is so low makes up for it IMO.

just my .02
    Mornin',
    I heard good things about this camera as well. Fuji appears to have the 'noise' issue under control better then the other guys, especially their smaller p & s cameras like the F30 and F31 (I think those are 2 of the models). At 300mm, I believe the picture is a little soft, but nothing a little pp can't fix.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...