Will mega OIS lenses play nice with sensor shift technology?

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited March 10, 2007 in Cameras
If the rumors are true...and they would seem to be by Olympus's new 4/3 lenses, the P-1 will have a sensor shift type stabilization. I wonder how this will work with the Leica/Panasonic mega OIS. On a side note notice Leica licenses the name LEICA to Panasonic and not Leitz?? An effort to generate cash and keep the purity of the Leitz name?? Will the sensor shirt type just soak up any residual shake left after the in lens? good. Or will it create a feedback loop like putting a first gen Canon IS lens on a tripod? I'm sure you can turn either off and just use one, but it will be interesting to see how it works. I stay curious about Olympus and 4/3 because my first digital pro camera was an E10, and Olympus builds one hell of a camera. But I doubt they will ever be able to wring the low noise high iso images everyone is quickly becoming accustomed to out of a 4/3 sensor. I don't think Olympus is on the road of KM due to their strong P&S and low end DSLR sales, but I do wonder how many more pro bodies will be after the P1.

Comments

• harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Blurmore wrote:
    If the rumors are true...and they would seem to be by Olympus's new 4/3 lenses, the P-1 will have a sensor shift type stabilization. I wonder how this will work with the Leica/Panasonic mega OIS. On a side note notice Leica licenses the name LEICA to Panasonic and not Leitz?? An effort to generate cash and keep the purity of the Leitz name?? Will the sensor shirt type just soak up any residual shake left after the in lens? good. Or will it create a feedback loop like putting a first gen Canon IS lens on a tripod? I'm sure you can turn either off and just use one, but it will be interesting to see how it works. I stay curious about Olympus and 4/3 because my first digital pro camera was an E10, and Olympus builds one hell of a camera. But I doubt they will ever be able to wring the low noise high iso images everyone is quickly becoming accustomed to out of a 4/3 sensor. I don't think Olympus is on the road of KM due to their strong P&S and low end DSLR sales, but I do wonder how many more pro bodies will be after the P1.

You can simply switch off the OIS on the Leica D's - theres a small switch on the side of teh lens barrel that allows you to go Mode1, Mode 2 or off. I'm sure the E1-P will have a button to switch the inbuilt IS off too. What i would like is for Oly to enable the Aperture ring to work on the E cam's as its simply a firmware update according to Pana.

I think Pana's update to the L1 will go more pro - weathersealed, hopefully slightly smaller and this time with a tilt/swivel LCD.

Cheers

HarjTT

:Dthumb.gif
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Hi Blurmore,
    we have an E500 and an E1 and I'll admit that the E500 is noisy when shooting top quality jpeg at 1600 ISO. I've never had a big issue with this because the image editing software I use has a wonderful "Digital Camera Noise Removal" feature that really works! It also sharpens as it selectively removes noise and doesn't sharpen the noise clap.gifclap.gif

However, the E1 is very good, especailly shooting Raw. It will hold it's own up to 3200 ISO and I understand that the dedicated Raw editor has digital noise removal aways on as part of the program. The E1 is definitely the superior camera (over the E500) and we are having no trouble getting good quality 20x24's at 300 dpi from this camera. ( The wide printer at work automatically upsamples everything to 300dpi)

Don't be suprized if the new pro body is something awesome and very good in the noise dept. The 4/3 format makes a whole lot of sense when you consider that it's an almost perfect fit to the standard 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 inch print formats. This means that we get to use ALL of our available resolution when printing and we don't have to crop and toss 14% of our pixels off the ends of the frame mwink.gif With the 4/3 format a 5mp camera is as good or better than a 6mp APS sensor.

Bob
    See with your Heart