Cheerleading

waynedsargentwaynedsargent Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited March 9, 2007 in Sports
Bad light, screaming girls, tons of fun!!!!
133945072-M.jpg

Comments

• JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Looks like you did OK for a bad lighting situation. Try to get a little closer and watch your crops, you cut the first girls feet off, while leaving excess space above her head.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Good shots, I Probably would have shot that one in Landscape orientation though. Were these shot in Florida? I used to live in Daytona Beach, and I know they used to hold National Cheerleading Champoinships in Daytona.
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif I agree with the above. I think they have Cheerleading competions and Championships all over the place. We just had several thousand cheerleaders here at Universal Orlando this last weekend for a Championship. Some came as far as from California. They sure do get fired up. I understand what you mean by screeming girls. They sure do pep up your day.clap.gifcheerleader.gifcheerleader.gifcheerleader.gifclap.gif
  • waynedsargentwaynedsargent Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    thanks
    this venue was in Wildwood New Jersey. the final crop hasn't been made yet. With these competitions you only get 2 and a half minutes so its shoot like crazy and see what you get. You don't get a lot of time to compose. Here's another. Besides that the people can crop right on the site when they buy.
    133398071-L-2.jpg
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Cheerleading...
    I shot a few hundred pix at a chrlding comp here in MA. couple of weeks ago. Started at five so there was still some later afternoon light coming into the gym. After a (short) while, just the poor high school lighting! Shot with Sigma 70-200 2.8, & D70s. Lots of lighting correction on most of the shots. This was my first attempt at cheerleading. you can see them at shoppix.smugmug.com in the 'attleboro area sports' gallery. Lots of ice hockey & field hockey too.
    Just waiting for spring sports to get rolling.

I'm considering a 85mm 1.8 lens for similar environments. Gymnastics shots gave me same lighting woes. and hours of editing.
    Just purchased & installed Lightroom, hopefully it will help! Been using just Elements 4.0.
    Any comments/suggestins - bring them on!
    shoppix_photos@yahoo.com
  • waynedsargentwaynedsargent Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    in your area
    shoppix wrote:
    I shot a few hundred pix at a chrlding comp here in MA. couple of weeks ago. Started at five so there was still some later afternoon light coming into the gym. After a (short) while, just the poor high school lighting! Shot with Sigma 70-200 2.8, & D70s. Lots of lighting correction on most of the shots. This was my first attempt at cheerleading. you can see them at shoppix.smugmug.com in the 'attleboro area sports' gallery. Lots of ice hockey & field hockey too.
    Just waiting for spring sports to get rolling.

I'm considering a 85mm 1.8 lens for similar environments. Gymnastics shots gave me same lighting woes. and hours of editing.
    Just purchased & installed Lightroom, hopefully it will help! Been using just Elements 4.0.
    Any comments/suggestins - bring them on!
    shoppix_photos@yahoo.com

I will be in oxford mass shooting Cheerleading this weekend. I shot those with a tammy 28-75 2.8 it works great because its zoom but it is 2.8 throughoutclap.gif . I looked at the 85 but I didn't want to be limited by the fixed focal length.
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Wayne, I think your color and exposure look great, considering. I agree about the cropping and framing. Indoor cheer is a tough act to shoot.

shoppix - 273 photos! Way to go! :D I haven't looked through all of them. I checked and saw you were using Manual white balance. Did you change the settings from time to time? I notice the wall color changing with the different shots.
    I tried to find the ISO in the info, but I didn't see it~ headscratch.gif 1/60 is pretty tough for tumbling.

Anyway - nice work all. I'll toss one in for this thread!
    122142904-M.jpg